1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SGS or ipod+dac/amp to replace Cowon j3?

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by johnnyarks, Jun 17, 2012.
  1. johnnyarks
    Hello all... 

So.. I just received my new se535 replacements, and started using my j3 again for the first time in a month and realized how crappy a UI/Syncing is (playlist/podcast issues)...I've had my j3 for 1yr+...and while it sounds fantastic paired w/ my shures...I long for the days of Zune Desktop UI... so much easier to sync...

my question: is it possible to pair an ipod w/ a portable dac to sound as good or better than a Cowon J3? 
    (maybe some combo of rockbox'd ipod 5gen w/ dac?) 

FYI, I have a Samsung vibrant w/ a ICS rom that has voodoo sound... I may consider this if someone could suggest a music app that would sound better than the J3 BBE.  (Tried poweramp, close but naa..)

thanks.

2. kalibar
    I really like the sound on the Samsung Vibrant/Captivate/Nexus S with Voodoo Sound and Bass Boost enabled within Voodoo.  It seems to fit the Shure SE530/535 just right.  I actually just got 535's back from Shure to replace my 530's.

I wish all smartphones sounded this good, heh.

3. johnnyarks
    while I think the sgs sound is good, it's not better than a j3... and I don't think syncing music with Android devices is a seamless experience. I have a 16GB vibrant & 32GB sd card. If I have 40gigs of music, I've yet to find a desktop client that will view this as 1 logical device, instead sees it as 2 completely different devices which makes it a pain(impossible) to sync...everything has to be manual drag and drop...

Judging from the lack of responses not to many ppl own ipod+dac/amp & J3 to compare ?