SF Bay Area Meet impressions (May 2, 2015)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #31 of 92
For those of us half way around the world, where are all the pics? Amongst others, I am interested to see the Eddie Currents.

May 4, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #32 of 92
Well, I liked listening to the HE1000 through just about anything it was connected to.  It was the closest to listening to my Maggies as I've come in headphones.  Particularly with how comfortable it is, you almost forget you have it on.

I finally got to hear a Geek Pulse Xfi+ (some random concoction of features that Casey had in his personal one.)  It definitely felt like a step up over my Pulse. It was hard to pinpoint the exact changes in a meet condition w/o listening for a very long time.

I was surprised at how much I liked the EL-8s.  If I weren't trying them next to HE1000s and the Abyss, I would have no problems listening to them.  I didn't get to do extending listening to the Ether's but they were extremely comfortable and sounded quite good.  I couldn't quite put my finger on the sound... and they were also listened to in close proximity to the HE1000 & Abyss, so that gives any headphone a challenge.

Hearing the Yggy makes me definitely want to get one... I'd like to compare my Xfinity to one before I do.

Also, thank @moedawg140 for being so enthusiastic and helping us all sample some really stellar IEMs.  Unfortunately I won't be able to "unhear" the PENTAs.  They were stellar.

May 4, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #34 of 92
Not sure if you guys noticed... but it looks like someone's left arm and body was chopped off in the first picture! 

May 4, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #35 of 92
  For those of us half around the world, where are all the pics? Amongst others, I am interested to see the Eddie Currents.

I'll post my pics later today.

In the meantime, I wanted to say that I inadvertently took home a 12-outlet Belkin power strip. I brought one, and came home with two.

Here's a photo of it:

If this is yours, please let me know, and I'll have a replacement shipped to you posthaste. (Sorry about this!)

May 4, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #38 of 92
It's time for Bill's "everything sux except for my own gears" impressions:

HiFiMAN HE-1000: it sucked... 
frown.gif

... at CanJam. This one rocked my socks off. Tonal balance is very even, though a tad bright up top, which is remedied by the insane speed. Honestly, if I didn't know better, I'd call it the fastest headphone I have ever heard. Bass very fast and impactful, just short of LCD-2 and Abyss impact, but very much on par with everything else. If I have to say it, I'd say my impressions of the HE-1000 at CanJam was flawed. That might have been a bad unit that somehow Fang let slipped past QC. Maybe he was rushing for a big meet, but everything about this HE-1000 was awesome! Its only drawback to me was actually... the flamboyant look. I still can't get past that for some reason. But there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this is one of the top contenders for best headphones ever. At least it pushes my buttons better than LCD-3, HD800 or SR-009. The fact that I could try it out of my own amp and setup was the icing on the cake. I can't thank Jude enough for bringing this pair.
beerchug.gif

Mr. Speakers' Ether: the last time I heard this headphone at CanJam, it was too jam-packed, and the noise around was excessive. This time, it was more manageable, and I could also try this headphone out of my own setup again, so... I was able to get a better impression. Overall, I'd say the Ether actually sounds very neutral. Perhaps a tad bright and bass-light. Again, the impact here is lacking compared to LCD-2 and Abyss. In fact, it's lacking even against HE-1K. Also, the Ether is a bit... diffused compared to HE-1K. Both headphones go for about the same sound signature, but I think the HE-1K is less bright. Perhaps due to a more relaxed upper midrange. The Ether is more comparable to sound signature against the HD800, but it does have better bass control, a la orthodynamic character. I may have ended up not liking Dan's Alpha Dog Prime before, but I must give him credits for this one. Very well done. The sound signature is not to my liking, but I can't deny that the Ether is a very good new contestant against other offerings such as HiFiMAN's HE-560, or Audeze's LCD-X.

Chord Hugo TT: a very decent DAC/amp combo. I think the DAC section is decent, but the amp section is not quite there. Donald North Audio Stratus being fed by the DAC gives a much better sense of space, air, and overall imaging than the built-in amp of the Hugo TT. Also Cavalli Carbon gives a better sense of impact and authority, as well as control over the audible band. Judging from that alone, I'd say the amp section is holding the DAC back, and Ethan (third_eye) shared the same view. Since I couldn't try the Hugo TT as a DAC out to any amp that I was familiar with, I couldn't say for sure how good it is, so I will refrain from comparing it to other DACs like the Schiit Yggdrasil or LH Labs' Geek Out V2, the both of which I will be writing about shortly...

Cavalli Liquid Carbon: a very good compact amp. I should preface whatever I'm about to write with that I already got to hear the Carbon at CanJam, and I have already placed my order for the Carbon as well, so I'm a big fan of this amp. What can I say? It's one of the smoothest sounding solid-state amplifier I have ever heard, and by that, I mean... it doesn't sound grainy, tizzy, digititus, etc... whatever you would like to call it. There is a bit of euphonic coloration compared to something like, say, the Schiit Ragnarok, but I tend to prefer that. This amp carries the same Cavalli DNA as his other amps: impact, authority, control, and musical. What it pushes out isn't true neutrality by any stretch of the word, but it kicks very hard, hits all of the right buttons, and does so with elegance and efficiency. Plus the form factor is very compact and definitely transportable. What is there not to like? I have rarely heard any amp which I would pre-order on day 1, so this is saying a lot. If you ask me, I'd consider the Liquid Carbon as being better than Schiit's Ragnarok. No matter how accurate the Ragnarok may be, it's missing the musical factor for me. And again... musical here doesn't necessarily mean "warm". The Carbon is as "neutral" as I can hear. It's simply superb. My hat is off to Alex again. Every time I hear this amp, I'm impressed!

Woo Audio WA8: a very interesting compact tube amp. Warm and smooth. Perhaps a bit too much so. I think this amp would be a good fit for brighter headphones, such as Sennheiser HD800, or the Ether, as above. It wasn't the best pairing with my LCD-2, which sounds really rolled off, overly warm, too intimate, and bass wasn't as controlled as the other solid-state amps on display. Still, I can see the appeal of the WA8 as being an amp that's warm, smooth, and easy to listen to for a long time.

Light Harmonic Labs Geek Out V2 (GOV2): this was the biggest surprise at the meet for me. I use the Geek Out 450 (GO450) as my main DAC for the compact size and because I did not think I was giving up much by going with it. I thought the GO450 was the best  Well, I was wrong. The GOV2 is simply better all across the board. There is more detail all throughout the whole audible range, the lower treble peak from the GO450 is no longer there, and there is a greater sense of space and air compared to GO450. I wish it wasn't such a huge difference, but it is. The GOV2 demolishes the GO450 in every way, and gets dangerously close to the performance of much bigger desktop DACs. I'm not a resolution guy, as tonality and balance are more important to me, but I could not help but be floored by the GOV2. Compared to the GOV2, the GO450 sounds like the bass is too boomy, too one note, and bleeds a bit too much into midrange, so it sounds warmer, and the power supply isn't well regulated, so noise or some other weirdness creeps up at lower treble and causes a peak here and there in that region. GOV2 is more musical, with better impact, more bass control, more bass details, more relaxed, natural midrange, and with the treble very smooth, airy, and spacious. Going back to the GO450 now sounds one note, slow, too warm, too intimate, and sometimes even a bit suffocating! Well, color me impressed, once again!

Schiit Yggdrasil: well, this is THE DAC. I'll only say this: the Yggdrasil is the closest I have been faked into thinking the music is happening live right in front of me, whereas other DACs sound like they would give only a warm, smooth, easy sound, or an impactful sound, or higher resolution, or better texturing/tone, or better micro details. The Yggdrasil does all of that, and with the added benefits of it somehow being able to push the noise floor even lower, so in some recordings with apparent hiss, that hiss becomes more transparent/see-through on the Yggdrasil. It is simply amazing!

So... here is to a meet well done!
beerchug.gif

My thanks go out to the following folks:
@jude, @joe, @warrenpchi, @third_eye, @shiorisekine, @Mr Practical, @moedawg140 for taking the time to get all the way over here to have fun with us. I really really appreciate it! It was a blast hanging out with you guys!

@HuddlerSteph and the very nice folks at Wikia for providing the best hosting for a meet that I have ever seen in meet history. You guys rock! Seriously, thank you very very much!

@zerodeefex and @CEE TEE for giving me advices on how to proceed with organization, what to do, etc... Their experience managing past NorCal meets was passed down without reserve, and I feel honored to have them as my friends and mentors. Thanks for the guidance, guys!
beerchug.gif

May 4, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #39 of 92
Thank you Wikia staff, Bill, Jude and everyone else who made this meet happen and brought so much awesome gear.

My first impressions (IMHO, YMMV, etc):

Alpha Prime: This is what Alpha Dogs should have been, a very nice step-up from them.

Ether: Comfy, lightweight, airy, and smooth. What not to like? Maybe a bit bass shy like HD800 but that can probably be solved when selecting a DAC/amp combo.

PM-3: Fun! Ordered these last night, will probably replace my M100s.

HE1000: Another shot at the Stax territory. Seriously considering to upgrade from my HD800s to these. Question is, are these twice as good as the Ether?

Abyss: Nice impactful bass, but I like the HE1000 more, mainly due to greater soundstage/space/speed and of course comfort.

Hugo TT: Good. Catchy futuristic design, more clear and more detailed than my X-Sabre DAC. Based on memory, not up there with Auralic Vega though.

Yggy: Excellent. Different. Orange to apple when comparing to delta-sigma based DACs, seems like the DAC version of tube vs solid-state amp debate. For a proper comparison, would need to listen to Yggy or some R2R DAC for a week or two and then switch back D-S DAC to better analyze and appreciate the differences.

May 4, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #40 of 92
Hey y'all!  
smile.gif

I'll post some impressions in a bit, but I definitely wanted to say that it was great seeing everyone, and not having to work a meet for once was a big bonus of course!

Thanks @Bill-P for organizing and giving me a welcome day off.  
smile.gif

Special thanks to wikia and @HuddlerSteph for being perfect hosts and making us feel totally at home - you guys rock!

@jude, @joe, @HiFiGuy528, @aamefford, @shane55, miss you guys already, there's never enough time eh!

May 4, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #42 of 92
Bill-P,

Thank you for all of your insightful impressions, but it appears like you have somewhat contradicted yourself in your impression of the Cavalli Liquid Carbon.

Cavalli Liquid Carbon: a very good compact amp. I should preface whatever I'm about to write with that I already got to hear the Carbon at CanJam, and I have already placed my order for the Carbon as well, so I'm a big fan of this amp. What can I say? It's one of the smoothest sounding solid-state amplifier I have ever heard, and by that, I mean... it doesn't sound grainy, tizzy, digititus, etc... whatever you would like to call it. There is a bit of euphonic coloration compared to something like, say, the Schiit Ragnarok, but I tend to prefer that. This amp carries the same Cavalli DNA as his other amps: impact, authority, control, and musical. What it pushes out isn't true neutrality by any stretch of the word, but it kicks very hard, hits all of the right buttons, and does so with elegance and efficiency. Plus the form factor is very compact and definitely transportable. What is there not to like? I have rarely heard any amp which I would pre-order on day 1, so this is saying a lot. If you ask me, I'd consider the Liquid Carbon as being better than Schiit's Ragnarok. No matter how accurate the Ragnarok may be, it's missing the musical factor for me. And again... musical here doesn't necessarily mean "warm". The Carbon is as "neutral" as I can hear. It's simply superb. My hat is off to Alex again. Every time I hear this amp, I'm impressed!

Could you please clarify what you meant by the above highlighted statements.

And thanks again for your well described impressions of what you heard.

May 4, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #43 of 92
  Bill-P,

Thank you for all of your insightful impressions, but it appears like you have somewhat contradicted yourself in your impression of the Cavalli Liquid Carbon.

Could you please clarify what you meant by the above highlighted statements.

And thanks again for your well described impressions of what you heard.

Well, it's not contradictory if you know me. But I just realized that not everyone who reads that does.

What it means is simply that what I consider "neutral" isn't "true neutrality", or at least not "neutrality" as others describe. I have come to realize and accept this.

You can probably see from reading my other impressions. The Ether is considered by some as being a "neutral" headphone, but I find it too bright for my taste. Likewise, HE-1000 may just be right for some, but it's still slightly bright for me. As far as high-end headphones go, I find only the Audeze LCD-2/3 and Stax SR-007 as being just about right, everything else sounds too bright for me.

But that isn't to say the Carbon sounds "rolled off" like the Audeze headphones, or the SR-007, but that its coloration compliments the kind of sound I like better. In general, I prefer a laid-back sound with good bass impact, clean, black background, and a decently breathable soundstage that doesn't have to be too deep or wide. Carbon isn't laid back, but it has the liquidity of tube, bass impact, and the clean/black background that I like, along with the breathable soundstage.

It's quite a balancing act to get "breathable soundstage" (not necessarily airy) without elevating treble, and I think Carbon manages to achieve that. I think that along with the liquidity is the coloration that the amp imparts on the sound. But others may think otherwise.

May 4, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #44 of 92
Gotcha.  So what you mean is that the Liquid Carbon sounds 'just right' and 'ideally neutral' to you when compared to all the other reference amps that are also considered to sound "neutral".

Thanks again.
beyersmile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back