Setup for sensitive IEM
Jun 9, 2010 at 9:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

arctic_storm

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I started a similar thread some time ago, but nobody answered. The problem is, that I use very sensitive IEMs (28 Ohm and 122 dB). My iBasso D4 and D3 are too loud for them (using it as DAC and amp via PC). When these amps are not too load, I have channel imbalance, which is a no-go.

Is there any headphone amp with a very high attentuation without channel imbalance? I'm using the IEMs via PC.

My ideas:
Pico Slim (hard go get, long waiting time)
RSA Shadow (digital volume control, is this amp good?)
or any DAC with volume controlled outputs and a headphone amp (e.g. the Meier Audio Stage DAC, but this is too expensive).

My budget is around 300 Euro, maybe more for the perfect solution. The amp/dac needn't be portable, so size doesn't matter. By selling the D4 maybe 500 Euro.

Jun 9, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #2 of 21
I have a very sensitive ES3X and I do hear a bit of hiss with iQube. But overall I really like iQube sounds, really transparent, detailed, and huge soundstage. It is much better than any iBasso. I've never heard a LISA but some people say iQube is comparable with LISA. 

Jun 9, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #3 of 21
Thanks for your reply!
Hiss actually isn't my biggest problem, but fortunately the iBasso D4 with OPA1612 doesn't show any hiss at all. Dou you think, the iQube V1 would have a bitter channel balance at low volumes than the iBasso D3/4? This is the most important point for me at the moment.

If there are any other alternatives, please remind, that they do not have to be portable :).

Jun 9, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #4 of 21
Look into the RSA Tomahawk.

I share your complaints about channel imbalance, gain and hiss. My Westone UM2 are some of the most sensitive earphones ever made and the Tomahawk exhibits none of the above problems.

Jun 9, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #5 of 21
Jun 9, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #6 of 21
@maverickronin
Thanks for your answer, but a normal attenuator (sorry for writing "attenuation" wrong in the starting post...) would change the sound signature of the headphones, so I wouldn't like to use one.

@Punnisher
Thanks!
I've read some posts about the Tomahawk having no channel imbalance. This looks for a good alternative to me. Then I'd have to use the D4 as DAC only. If i sold the D4, would I get a better stand-alone DAC for 200 Euro?

Jun 9, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #7 of 21
I have that one I linked to (it came with my SE530s) and I don't notice any change other than volume, but YMMV.

Also the channel imbalance thing is something that many potentiometers have at very low levels.  Most cheaper amps have this problem because pots with no imbalance all the way down to the bottom cost a lot more, and most people don't use that range on the volume knob much anyway.  The Tomahawk, which I believe is designed for sensitive IEMs, likely took this into account and used a better pot.  If you can solder well you could probably buy an Alps pot or something and replace the stock ones on your iBassos.

Jun 9, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #8 of 21
The iBasso D4 uses a pot by Alps (iBasso confirmed this). Soldering would be possible if I ask somebody to do it for me. Unfortanetly the case size of the D4 isn't big enough for an Alps R27 pot, that has a better channel balance than the small pots. I had already the idea to put the D4 into a bigger case with a bigger and better pot, but this solution isn't very nice :D.

Jun 9, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #9 of 21
Hmm...  That's to bad. I guess you will have to look for a new amp then.  Sorry I wasn't much help.

Jun 10, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #11 of 21
RSA Shadow is magnificent for sensitive IEMs.  Digital volume had no channel imbalance at low volumes, sound is much like the P52.  Details here:

http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/products/shadow

I owned it and loved it, but sold it to be able to fund my JH-13s and an inexpensive DAC/amp combo (the d4, which you have)

I think one's for sale in the forum now for $300 if I'm not mistaken...

Jun 10, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #12 of 21

Quote:
Thanks for your reply!
Hiss actually isn't my biggest problem, but fortunately the iBasso D4 with OPA1612 doesn't show any hiss at all. Dou you think, the iQube V1 would have a bitter channel balance at low volumes than the iBasso D3/4? This is the most important point for me at the moment.

If there are any other alternatives, please remind, that they do not have to be portable :).

It is perfectly balanced. I never use the volume higher than 8-9 o'clock position. Since you live in Germany it might be best to come to NL and try it yourself. They can give you a really good demo and even compare with several RSA model.

Jun 10, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #13 of 21
Okay, then I will look for a RSA Shadow, other tips are still welcome. But first I have to save some money to buy the Shadow.

And what shall I do with de D4? Sell for getting a stand-alone DAC or is there no better similar-priced DAC?

Quote:
Jazzyfi said:

It is perfectly balanced. I never use the volume higher than 8-9 o'clock position. Since you live in Germany it might be best to come to NL and try it yourself. They can give you a really good demo and even compare with several RSA model.

Driving to NL would be pretty far away, too. Unfortunately I missed a German offer for the iQube in a forum (200 Euro). If there should somebody selling an iQube for a good price, I will probably buy it.

Jun 14, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #15 of 21
I have the Shadow and I can say it is a nice little amp.  Agreed it is not mind blowing but adds a nice touch.  After getting the Protector I now no longer listen to my Shadow which now has about 15 hours on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back