Set-Up Opinions
Aug 11, 2012 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

SH0774

New Head-Fier
Hey, guys. This is my first post, so I apologize if I categorized it incorrectly. I'm mainly looking for opinions on a set-up that I plan on purchasing very soon (limited supplies of basically everything involved at the prices). I'm just starting to really get into listening to music seriously and would like to get some decent equipment. I've searched around for the sound signature I want, and some decent priced, good quality beginners equipment, and this is what I've come up with two things so far the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 Ohm  Version and the Fiio E9 Amp. The total price for both comes to $271.50. Is this a decent price, are these pretty good for a mainly rap listener who likes a touch of everything, and do I need anything else to get a set-up going? I'll be running this off of my computer and iPod mainly. Thanks in advance and reply ASAP! Sorry for the length. Edit: Also picked up the E7. I figured a decent DAC would probably be smart.

Aug 12, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #3 of 12
I have heard about that, but for the price I got them for and some other reviews they seemed like a perfect fit for me. I wanted something fun, but if it is a bit too harsh I'll probably just end up returning them for another pair. Do you have any recommendations around the $170 price point (which is what I payed for them). I've heard great things about the M50s. 

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
Do you think the M50s are too bassy for every genre and are the K271MkIIs have enough bass for rap?

I'm not listening to rap but if you looking for Beats like bass you should look for K240 but unfortunately they will make any music sound bassy so if I would be you I would get K271MKII plus E17 which has tone controls which lets you adjust bass and treble as needed depending on music you listening to

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #9 of 12
I actually already picked up the E7. I know that at least has a bass adjuster and is a DAC. Is the E17 a better buy for the extra $60 and is it compatible with the E9? The K271's do look quite nice, but like I said I wanna try out the Beyers first. I've heard they require quite a bit of burn in, so if within a week they aren't meeting what I'm looking for I'm gonna have to switch to the K271's.

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #10 of 12
I actually already picked up the E7. I know that at least has a bass adjuster and is a DAC. Is the E17 a better buy for the extra $60 and is it compatible with the E9? The K271's do look quite nice, but like I said I wanna try out the Beyers first. I've heard they require quite a bit of burn in, so if within a week they aren't meeting what I'm looking for I'm gonna have to switch to the K271's.

I think yes cause it can be used as amp only Deactivate and amp plus it has both bass and treble control and should work with e9. Be aware I spent a lot of time trying to remove DT990's brightness but wasn't successful

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Aug 14, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #11 of 12
You've got me really worried about this purchase.. haha I'm gonna wait until I have a bit more cash and then trade in my E7 for the 17. I've read a lot of people that said something very similar to what you just did: It's a bit more powerful, more functional, more versatile, just not quite the same value. I'm gonna just enjoy the E7 for a few months and then maybe around my birthday treat myself to the upgrade. As for the cans, I'll let you know what I think whenever they arrive. I do hope they're nice, but you've made the K271's sound quite attractive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back