Set of headphones for ~150 bucks that won't annoy my co-workers
Sep 20, 2011 at 11:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

AaronAnderson

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a good set of headphones in the 150 dollar range that provides to most isolation possible. I need to be considerate of those around me. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 headphones but I'm not happy with them. They are very heavy, tight on my head, and everything in the low-mid to low range feels very thin. (Perhaps a headphone amp would solve this, but I'm working on selecting one.) 

I was looking at a pair of Klipsch Image ONE at Best Buy and they seem decent. I've been wearing a 40 dollar pair of Sony earbuds 6 hours a day for a long time; so anything is an upgrade at this point. The sony's sound good but having something my ears that long isn't the best. 

Looking for a little help selecting something. 

Thanks.
(sorry for the formatting; it's not cooperating.)

Sep 20, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #2 of 12
Audio-Technica ATH-M50 are right about at the 150-160 mark, sealed cans (to not annoy your coworkers) - fantastic sound for the price. 

Sep 20, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #4 of 12
IEMs offer the most isolation possible but they might get uncomfortable if you're planning on using them for hours on end at work. Still, its something that might be worth considering...

There are many options for you besides the ATH-M50. For example, the KRK KNS Systems 6400 is an excellent headphone that is very comfortable and not overly expensive. It's isolation is definitely good enough for an office environment.

Sep 20, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
the KRK KNS Systems 6400 is an excellent headphone that is very comfortable and not overly expensive. It's isolation is definitely good enough for an office environment.

Oh very nice. I had not heard of those, but the reviews I'm finding for the 6400 and 8400 are very promising - especially at that price point. Thanks for the heads up.

Sep 20, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
What kind of music are we talking here? What signature do you want (thin / neutral / bassy)?

I'm generally listening to 256k mp3 streams from http://di.fm 

I prefer a little more low end... The Sen HD 280 Pro's are very flat IMO which is nice for some things, but I prefer strong bass, without overpowering or being muddy. I do not like beats by dr dre headphones. The low end is nuts on those.

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #9 of 12
Heya,

Per your post you wanted the most isolation possible, without going straight into noise cancellation.

Therefore, I recommend the BeyerDynamic DT770 PRO. It has great isolation, very comfortable, good warm bassy low end, good mids and detail. Plus, it looks good.

Very best,

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:

Therefore, I recommend the BeyerDynamic DT770 PRO. 

A portable/desktop amp is recommended here i think. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back