service for HP-1000?
Mar 19, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #16 of 28
Well, he retired with a 1000 drivers and has a little over a 100 now. The locking screws are a fairly high-cost custom item. Turn-around was aprox 3 weeks for me. I'd think it to be a smart move to have him to inspect your pair(s) when you can - whether you percieve anything wrong, or not. Yes, he is proud of them - as he should be.

Mar 19, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #18 of 28
"i never even asked Mr. Grado about repairing anything..."

Joe Grado is a Saint and to impune his name when you haven't even asked him to repair the headphones is a cheap shot and blow the standards of Head-Fi.

Mitch

Mar 19, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"i never even asked Mr. Grado about repairing anything..."

Joe Grado is a Saint and to impune his name when you haven't even asked him to repair the headphones is a cheap shot and blow the standards of Head-Fi.

Mitch

"A cheap shot?" "blow the standards?"

way to pick out and manipulate the statement and contribute absolutely nothing! i see that some here are trying to get a snowball effect going in this thread for no other reason than to entertain themselves. did you two know there are other ways to do that?

wondering who can fix them besides Joe Grado is a simple question that i ask for someone looking to buy a set or for a person who already has them. comments like "he won't fix yours cuz i'm hiding something" or speaking of the tarnishing the standards? are boarder line idiotic
rolleyes.gif

Mar 19, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #20 of 28
wondering why people are jumping to some odd conclusions in this thread...responses seem pretty harsh given that the question was pretty basic.
"impune his name"???
never got that impression at all...and not sure where in this thread the OP did that.

Mar 19, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #22 of 28
The logical action is to go to the original designer/inventor/mfgr - before anyhone else can be considered. How could another personage even be considered - particularly if they have no known track record with that particular item. It seems illogical to me. I wouldn't do it.

Mar 19, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #23 of 28
Whoa there, I'll admit there have been some jumping to conclusions and misconstruing your statements to mean something they aren't, even making great jumps to something completely unrelated, but that last statement of yours was quite out of line. Yes you've taken a good deal of undeserved flack in this thread but be the bigger man. I know you're frustrated with them but you may want to edit that out.

Mar 19, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #24 of 28
Mr. Nice.......that is far from being nice.
However, since you seem to be willing to spring for free trips to Baghdad - I AM willing to accompany you on such a trip. When will you be ready to go?

Mar 19, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon118 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoa there, I'll admit there have been some jumping to conclusions and misconstruing your statements to mean something they aren't, even making great jumps to something completely unrelated, but that last statement of yours was quite out of line. Yes you've taken a good deal of undeserved flack in this thread but be the bigger man. I know you're frustrated with them but you may want to edit that out.

you are right! but there is a little bit of a history with some and they seem to always find there way onto a thread im a part of.

Mar 19, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #26 of 28
Guys, calm down, this thread is over. Mr Nice your answer to your question has already been given already, please read through the thread if needed, I at least know my post pretty much captures it completely. However I will go ahead and indulge in this little exercise and break down possible issues with the cans and who can fix it/what you can do as an owner.

(1) One/both of the drivers go bad and need replacement.

Only Joe can help you, as he is the only one that has drivers. Again the issue will be what happens to his estate, does it go to John or someone else, only time will tell, and hopefully we won't have to answer that question for a very long time, bless his wonderful soul.

(2) Sound does not come out of a particular channel, but the drivers are still operational.

This has actually happened to me and is very easy and cheap to fix. Basically one of the wires that connects to the driver can sometimes snap off due to pressure or old solder joint. All you do is have someone willing able open up the cans and solder back on the wire to the voice coil pad. This happened to my 1st set, I sent it to Larry from headphile, he charged me I think $25 for 1/2 hour of labor and shipping, and they worked perfectly. Word on the underground was that this happened to jpelg's set as well but thought the drivers were dead and for some reason had John replace the drivers with RS-1 drivers. I believe someone snagged up those perfectly operational HP-1000 drivers within minutes from John.

Now if its not just the wires but the whole voice coil pad disattached from the driver then you are screwed. Refer to option 1.

(3) No sound as a result of a cable issue.

Very easily fixed and repaired by numerous users, go with one you are comfortable with and experienced with. Based on my experience I would probably go with larry from headphile. However you will not be able to get the original Grado cable unless you cannablize something else as Joe no longer has them according to one of the previous posts.

I think that is about it Mr Nice in terms of possible issues and areas to fix them. Its pretty self explanatory and doesnt take too much to have figured that out on your own. I am pretty sure your question is more than answered so lets please move on, thread over
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Word on the underground was that this happened to jpelg's set as well but thought the drivers were dead and for some reason had John replace the drivers with RS-1 drivers. I believe someone snagged up those perfectly operational HP-1000 drivers within minutes from John.

Wow. So much "underground" conversation going on about my old pair - who knew?
biggrin.gif

The issue with my pair was that the left driver developed a constant buzzing sound. Joe was in transition at the time, moving down to south to his current location. His parts were in storage, and ETA's on repairs were totally up in the air. On top of that, the repairs would have been quite expensive (imo).

Frankly, I was a bit peived to have spent so much money up front on a pair of headphones, only to have a driver go bad within three months, with little to no timely support (at the time). So, I contacted John about doing an RS-1 driver drop-in replacement instead. He agreed, and at a very reasonable price, doing so in less than a week. I loved the results, and did not regret the decision one bit, except for the natural drop in value at the time I chose to sell them (with full disclosure, of course). Personally, I believe that a large portion of the HP-1000 sound comes from the awesome enclosures.

As for the old drivers, I got them back from John. I picked them up in person at one of the meets we had at Grado Labs.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back