service for HP-1000?
Mar 19, 2008 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

mr. nice

500+ Head-Fier
if not Joe Grado then who could take on this task. Let's say you have a problem with one of the drivers and Mr. Grado can't fix it because he is doing other things or just getting to the point of giving that part of his life totally up, then what do you do?

Mar 19, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could be joe isn't wanting to help someone with profit motives

dam bro you really can't drop it....good for you! live the dream bro! u deserve it!
cool.gif

Mar 19, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #7 of 28
Buy a spare pair and fix it yourself

Mar 19, 2008 at 11:00 AM Post #8 of 28
Funny, I just got my HP-2 back from Joe Grado. I know he has an adequate (though, diminishing) supply of parts, but has no more of the orig. cables (I got the last UWBWRC).......we also had some interesting conversations. I don't see why a problem has been intimated by the O.P..
I like the good creative way Krmathis solves the situation. A big ditto there.

Mar 19, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny, I just got my HP-2 back from Joe Grado. I know he has an adequate (though, diminishing) supply of parts, but has no more of the orig. cables (I got the last UWBWRC).......we also had some interesting conversations. I don't see why a problem has been intimated by the O.P..
I like the good creative way Krmathis solves the situation. A big ditto there.

im just thinking that Mr. Grado is getting older (as we all are) and these headphones are selling for a nice sum these days and are in many ways a collectors item. if an HD600 or HD650 goes down yeah it sucks but you can get another pair or even get it fixed.

so basically you can go out drop a good 2k on a pair then something happens to one of the drivers and if Joe Grado isn't able to repair it then you are stuck with a nice looking piece of metal to wrap around your head right?
frown.gif

im hoping he can go on forever doing what he does and what makes him happy, but we all know that isn't the way things are for any of us.

Mar 19, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #10 of 28
Stop suggesting he isn't able to repair them. He can, and does, repair hp1000s regularly. He just isn't repairing yours, for reasons you don't state.

Mar 19, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #11 of 28
The same holds true for any headphone of limited availability - whether it's Sony, J. Grado, certain k340 parts, or whatever the maker.......and there comes a time where parts-salvaging becomes a fruitless endeavor. The same phenomena occurs with restored cars deemed to be classics and lots of other endeavors.
Personally, the phones I enjoy the most are my Jos. Grado's and X-Deep Darths and don't/won't hesitate to pick up duplicates if a particular deal suits me. But, hey, that's me. We all have our comfort level for any perceived risk.

Mar 19, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Stop suggesting he isn't able to repair them. He can, and does, repair hp1000s regularly. He just isn't repairing yours, for reasons you don't state.

I concur. The big guy has no problem fixing them and when we talked way back when he specifically said "send them to me" when asked if I should send them in to him or John, as he is somewhat protective and has lots of pride for the HP-1000. But you are dealing with his retirement, professional business affairs, and age so expect a somewhat long turn around time. I have seen anywhere from 6-8 months to a year, which you will have to deal with.

Yes Mr. Nice thank you for pointing out that he is getting older and at some point in time he may no longer be on this earth to grace us with his amazing heart, passion, and presence for audio fidelity. At that point in time, the only person to go to would be John. However he may not have any hp1000 drivers and who knows what will happen to Joe's estate when the time comes, so he might replace them with RS-1 drivers, I know one headfier (jpelg) got that done intentionally but I have no idea how the sound would be, which I would guess not really good.

Mar 19, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #13 of 28
Alex @ APureSound is pretty well known for repairing headphone drivers including the L3000's - He would be a good person to contact since for some reason Mr. Grado wont touch your pair.

Mar 19, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

confused.gif
easy there hercules! i never even asked Mr. Grado about repairing anything...

i was in a NICE way trying to state that he is getting older and may not be around one day (as somebody pointed out) cuz i know he is a nice guy and thought the World of in this industry and rightly so cuz he is a living legend. i would think that this may be of interest to at least 1 of the 1000 people who own one of these headphones.

Mar 19, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. nice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if not Joe Grado then who could take on this task. Let's say you have a problem with one of the drivers and Mr. Grado can't fix it because he is doing other things or just getting to the point of giving that part of his life totally up, then what do you do?

There's at least one pair that had RS-1 drivers installed at the factory as replacements.

This is one reason I limit my hours with the HP-2. I'd hate to have something go wrong, so I keep it safely stored except for times when I can put in several hours of quality listening time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back