Seriously... the AD700 are PURPLE!!! My AD700 review. Help me!
Sep 3, 2010 at 12:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

FliGuyRyan

Head-Fier
Part One...

Alright guys (and gals), 

As I prepare to type this I'm really at a loss. First off, when my package arrived from Amazon today, I noticed after opening it that the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 box looked like it had been through a shipping war. Yet, the shipping box was unscathed. This led me to conclude that they sent me a freaken used pair. Complaint 1 (not Audio Technica's fault - strike one for Amazon). 

The second thing that came to mind when I pulled the AT box out - mouth still wide open from the used product - I saw that the headphone grills are PURPLE!!! WOW... I read somewhere that they were purple, but this didn't really strike me as much as the in-person first sight of them did. I can't wear these things in public. Purple on silver... come on. I'm not vain, but sheez... it's really bugging me. 

Third, they're loud... to the surrounding environment. Very loud. It's not like when people said, "They leak sound..." No, no, no. they broadcast what you're listening to, and I don't know about your spouse, but my wife doesn't want to listen to Kanye West's Love Lockdown (I use this track for bass testing) that's blasting right beside her. You can lay them down and use them for computer speakers - on the desk.

Fourth thing - and back to the Love Lockdown song - these really do have an extreme bass handicap. I knew this going in, but, holy cow. Another example of this is The Watcher on Dr. Dre's Chronic 2001 album. The bass that moves you just isn't there. Now, don't get me wrong. This is NOT the usual music that I have playing. I like more melodic tunes like Coldplay and Over the Rhine. But, come on, eclectic tastes aren't exactly a rare thing anymore. Conclusion - very anemic. 

Lastly, and this is so-so, but, I can't hear much as far as outside noise like other people are saying. I'm just clarifying and giving my opinion on this. I don't think they're that transparent as people think - again, my environment. Like, I couldn't hear my wife talking to me right next to me. I wasn't playing classical, but again, not as people have said. 

Now, in my opinion, the soundstage is great, mids are where I like them (a little lower) and the highs are outstanding - the best I've heard. The best part is that they're comfortable as all get out. I could listen to these for hours. Also, please don't give me the "let them burn in" because a 1000 years of burn-in won't change these that much (again, my opinion).

These positives are not enough to keep me from returning them. Purple, no bass and the sound leakage is insane to me. Why couldn't they make them all black?

Part Two... 

Please (for the love of it all) tell me that I would like the A700 or M50 better. I can't afford the A900 or I would just make the jump (I'll do it down the road), but for now, which headphones are "better" and what is the difference? I hear amazing things of the M50, but it "seems" that the A700 should be better (please explain this in detail if possible)? And, for future reference, is the A900 so amazing that it justifiably demands a $150 premium? And, if it does, I might wait because my Monster Turbine Pro Copper that I just got back today are even more amazing with the FiiO E5 amp and SuperTips from Monster., therefore allotting a savings-time per se. 

In closing, please understand that I write this with an overwhelming sense of disappointment. I read for a week about the best buys in headphones and I'm just uber disappointed although impressed by the positives (again, not so much that it will withhold me from returning them). And please, instead of refuting my opinions, aim for help on Part Two. The AD700 has their place, but just not on my head, that's all. I'm just looking for what does...

Thanks for hanging in there and your help...

Sincerely,
-Ryan

Sep 3, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #2 of 12
I kind of had a similar impression of these headphones. I liked the sound quality overall, but I couldn't get any bass out of them. I'm not a basshead at all. It's good that you found them comfortable. I felt like I had to struggle to even get them to stay on my head. At times it felt like I had these huge pads hanging off my cheeks. Seriously. I even tried bending them a bit. I actually found that the IEM RE0 sounded very similar.

The M50s are nothing like the AD700 to me. It sounds like those would meet your requirements a lot better. They have a lot of bass, maybe too much for some people perhaps. I'm not a fan of them really at all, but they're very good for the price. I tried modding them more today and listened to them for a half hour, but I keep doing back to my Koss Pro DJ 100 since they're much more neutral, which I guess is my thing.

After the AD700 I immediately bought the SRH-840, which were near perfect to me. I kept those for awhile until deciding they also didn't fit my small head. If the AD700 fit you perfectly, I have no doubt the SRH-840 would be a perfect fit. They don't have a ton of bass like the M50s, but I find the bass on them is more then enough for most music. For even more bass, the 750DJ seems to be even better to some people, but I don't agree. The 750DJ has more bass then the SRH-840 and is more of a "fun" headphone. THe 840 is supposed to be more neutral, but I don't really agree with that at all, but it's pretty close.

For me the M50's are nowhere near as detailed as the AD700. The soundstage is also pretty horrible, even for a $98 headphone. You'll definitely miss that when you switch from the AD700.

So, based on what you've said I'd suggest the SRH-840 over the M50. Basically, most everyone is going to like the M50 it seems like. If you can, buy both and return the loser! After I returned my Ad700 I basically tried out over a dozen headphones just to find my perfect headphone.

Sep 3, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #3 of 12
My vote also goes for the SRH840. To my ears, leaps and bounds better than the M50. I just can't find anything wrong with them, you won't be disappointed.

Sep 3, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #4 of 12
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll look into the SRH-840 for sure. Also though, what about the A700 - the closed back. Do they have more bass than the AD700? I like the AD700 because of the soundstage which is important to me for the unique sound they offered. I will try and audition the M50 tomorrow at Guitar Center. 

Let me know if you have anything on the A700 vs M50 particularly. 

Thanks again!
-Ryan

P.S. The AD700 (and their purple goodness) are going back! Got the word from Amazon and they're paying for the return shipping. PAH... try to give me used cans, what a crock... 

Sep 3, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #5 of 12
I thought the bass was perfectly fine on Love Lockdown on the AD700. Maybe its your source?.  Anyway unfortunately your going to have to go closed if you dont want sound leakage, thus sacrificing sound quality in the process.  M50 will lose the great soundstage, mids, highs and comfort of the AD700 but they will have more bass. SRH840 and DT250 (80 ohm) are 2 cans to look into.

Sep 3, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
I kind of had a similar impression of these headphones. I liked the sound quality overall, but I couldn't get any bass out of them. I'm not a basshead at all. It's good that you found them comfortable. I felt like I had to struggle to even get them to stay on my head. At times it felt like I had these huge pads hanging off my cheeks. Seriously. I even tried bending them a bit. I actually found that the IEM RE0 sounded very similar.

The M50s are nothing like the AD700 to me. It sounds like those would meet your requirements a lot better. They have a lot of bass, maybe too much for some people perhaps. I'm not a fan of them really at all, but they're very good for the price. I tried modding them more today and listened to them for a half hour, but I keep doing back to my Koss Pro DJ 100 since they're much more neutral, which I guess is my thing.

After the AD700 I immediately bought the SRH-840, which were near perfect to me. I kept those for awhile until deciding they also didn't fit my small head. If the AD700 fit you perfectly, I have no doubt the SRH-840 would be a perfect fit. They don't have a ton of bass like the M50s, but I find the bass on them is more then enough for most music. For even more bass, the 750DJ seems to be even better to some people, but I don't agree. The 750DJ has more bass then the SRH-840 and is more of a "fun" headphone. THe 840 is supposed to be more neutral, but I don't really agree with that at all, but it's pretty close.

For me the M50's are nowhere near as detailed as the AD700. The soundstage is also pretty horrible, even for a $98 headphone. You'll definitely miss that when you switch from the AD700.

So, based on what you've said I'd suggest the SRH-840 over the M50. Basically, most everyone is going to like the M50 it seems like. If you can, buy both and return the loser! After I returned my Ad700 I basically tried out over a dozen headphones just to find my perfect headphone.

Just checking. How did you feel the bass on the re0 compares with the ad700?

@TS, well about the purple color, you won't be wearing them out anyway so its cool

Sep 3, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #7 of 12
Whats so wrong with used cans?

I only listen to used cans, unless they are noticeably damaged sonically I don't care. And what about burn it, used cans can actually sound better if you believe in burn in( like me, my first headphones were HD201's and their sound matured over time, burn in or not it happened.)

I mean I can understand if your just not happy with the bass, but that's one of their strong points. People like not having all that bass for games cause they'd rather hear footsteps and BOUNCING grenades then explosions.

On the flip side of things, you will notice that alot of headphones that are recommended have weaker bass, and unless the cans are specifically designed for it usually they wont have that good of bass response. You should have known from the get go what you were getting yourself into is what I am trying to say.

This is also why I tell people use the headphones before you buy unless you are getting quiet the deal for them.What's important are your ears, not mine, not anyone elses on this site. Only what  you like will tell you what you want. So take every recommendation with a grain of salt.

Sep 3, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #8 of 12
I've got 3 pairs - AD700s, SRH750DJs and Sony XB700s (and Grado SR60s, but don't use them much)... one pair bought from this site, one pair bought from eBay after a posting on this site, and one pair just bought from eBay. All were secondhand, and all were in mint condition. And all were about half the retail price. 

They do different jobs. The AD700s (£50) are bass-light in terms of impact, but have a beautiful, almost delicate sound... very light and airy, full of space and stunning definition. And the bass is there - try Angel by Massive Attack, turned up so loud it makes your head spin. Awesome sound - the rim shot is right between the eyes. The fit is odd at first but in the end it's a bit like the sound - light and airy. And yes, they leak. I lie in the garden listening to these, or in my office at home.

The SRH750s (£99 inc. FiiO and LOD) are work/on the road/plane phones - utterly sealed, no sound leakage at all, even wound up loud. Fabulously balanced sound, plenty of bass, but plenty of room too for a closed can. And portable, in the sense they fold up and live in a beanie in my rucksack. Bit clampy on the head, but once I put some wire bent into ovals into the circular pads and stretched them ear-shaped, very comfy.

The Sony's (£48) are for bass, bass and more bass (although not at the expense of the mids and highs). They will crack your skull open. They're also the most comfy of the lot, like wearing pillows on your head. But they also leak terribly, so they're for home use only. And they get hot and sweaty. 

I love my collection and I'm chuffed to bits with Head-Fi for helping me make the right choices. A bit of research on here, and it turns out the phones do exactly what most people on here said they did. So 10/10 for accurate reporting!

Sep 3, 2010 at 9:02 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
Whats so wrong with used cans?

I only listen to used cans, unless they are noticeably damaged sonically I don't care. And what about burn it, used cans can actually sound better if you believe in burn in( like me, my first headphones were HD201's and their sound matured over time, burn in or not it happened.)

I mean I can understand if your just not happy with the bass, but that's one of their strong points. People like not having all that bass for games cause they'd rather hear footsteps and BOUNCING grenades then explosions.

On the flip side of things, you will notice that alot of headphones that are recommended have weaker bass, and unless the cans are specifically designed for it usually they wont have that good of bass response. You should have known from the get go what you were getting yourself into is what I am trying to say.

This is also why I tell people use the headphones before you buy unless you are getting quiet the deal for them.What's important are your ears, not mine, not anyone elses on this site. Only what  you like will tell you what you want. So take every recommendation with a grain of salt.

The problem is, I assume he bought a new pair, or thought he was buying a new pair, from Amazon. Receiving used ones in that instance wouldn't be just annoying its outright fraud. Could just be a mixup though.

As for them being used, don't be so sure, as I've received products that are brand new from Amazon that came in dusty and beat up boxes. You might check and be sure you didn't buy them from one of the other sellers. There's actually some store on there that sells quite a bit of refurbs and stuff that is listed as being fulfilled by Amazon so check and be certain.

Most people can't listen to headphones beyond what say Best Buy has, and so trying before you buy isn't that feasible. Amazon has been good about returns for me though, so as long as you don't abuse it you should be able to get a refund for them (possibly with a restocking fee).

Sep 3, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #10 of 12
Oh, and OP, it sounds like you definitely bought the wrong headphones for your listening intentions (music and setting). I personally don't think any of the A or AD series Audio-Technicas would be feasible for portable use. I do think you'll be happier with either the A700 or M50. The A700 will sound quite a bit like the AD700 but with stronger bass. I haven't heard it myself, but I think the M50 might be the better option if you plan on it being portable at all.

Sep 3, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #11 of 12
darkswordsman17,

Quote:
The problem is, I assume he bought a new pair, or thought he was buying a new pair, from Amazon. Receiving used ones in that instance wouldn't be just annoying its outright fraud. Could just be a mixup though.

As for them being used, don't be so sure, as I've received products that are brand new from Amazon that came in dusty and beat up boxes. You might check and be sure you didn't buy them from one of the other sellers. There's actually some store on there that sells quite a bit of refurbs and stuff that is listed as being fulfilled by Amazon so check and be certain.

Most people can't listen to headphones beyond what say Best Buy has, and so trying before you buy isn't that feasible. Amazon has been good about returns for me though, so as long as you don't abuse it you should be able to get a refund for them (possibly with a restocking fee).

Quote:
Oh, and OP, it sounds like you definitely bought the wrong headphones for your listening intentions (music and setting). I personally don't think any of the A or AD series Audio-Technicas would be feasible for portable use. I do think you'll be happier with either the A700 or M50. The A700 will sound quite a bit like the AD700 but with stronger bass. I haven't heard it myself, but I think the M50 might be the better option if you plan on it being portable at all.

Thank you for echoing my thoughts (to the T). For one, it's not that they were used that was the problem necessarily, they look great physically. But, when I buy "new" headphones at a $88 down from a $250 MSRP, I think I'm getting a deal - but only if they "new" like it said (and yes it was indeed Amazon, not a reseller). Also, I understand burn-in and believe in it, but I just don't think it's going to change the AD700 that much. That's what I was trying to get across...

As for the bass I mean, yeah it's there in its own little special way, but I believe I was taken by surprise by how much I like bass. Again, I'm not a "basshead," but I would like some good, rock-solid bass, and I believe the A700 will fit the bill if it has just a little more bass. I understand now since headphones are not sealed like IEMs, I won't be getting the absolute pounding that I get from the Monster Turbine Pro Copper that's surprisingly enjoyable and refined as well. I mean, I do love the way the AD700 sounds on the top-end, and the soundstage is nice, but I think I'll go with the A700 and try to audition the M50 at Guitar Center (I was unaware that they had high-end headphones). I really liked the highs and soundstage of the AD700 and I do think I'll miss that, but the equation seems so imbalanced. I'm nervous to try and close headphone, but I think the bass is worth it. The M50 sounds like a bass monster and I've read that the soundstage is lost a little. So that's where I think going with the AD700 will be a balance of the three. And if I can audition the M50 today (I pray they have them), then I'll know for sure what to go with...

Any other words are welcome...
-Ryan

P.S. And I just can't live with purple headphones... sorry. Even if I don't wear them in public.

Sep 3, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
Just checking. How did you feel the bass on the re0 compares with the ad700?

@TS, well about the purple color, you won't be wearing them out anyway so its cool

Felt the bass was about the same. With my RE0 the only way I could get decent bass was to switch temporarily from an Ipod Touch to a Sansa Fuze since it actually has a decent EQ. I also used the Bass Boost on the E5 amp. With some EQ changes and the Bass Boost the bass was there, but it was too much of an annoyance to have to do this all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back