September 16th Vancouver Head-Fi MEET!
Aug 7, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #152 of 408
Mine was a genuine question.

I was under the impression that:

1. ALAC IS .aiff
  2. Up-converting won't improve anything.

No, ALAC does have compression but it is not meant to effect the sound quality. I have to say there have only been a couple of times when I have and the recordings have to be superb to do that. It was explained here once that ALAC is a zip file and AIFF is that file unzipped.

I don't want to get involved with the Pi$$ing matches here with ego's needing massaging by saying they are right over anyone else's feelings. Try it, if it works for you, if you feel it is better then it is, if you don't well your right also. I just prefer having CD quality from my CD's wether I can hear the difference or not between ALAC and AIFF.

Aug 7, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #153 of 408
Quote:
Ahh, I have not missed the cynicism whilst away from this forum, that and pre pubescent PI$$ing matches!

"Cynicism - An attitude of scornful or jaded negativity, especially a general distrust of the integrity or professed motives of others."

It seems I pushed a button I didn't know was there. You obviously have some history here that I am not aware of - sorry.
frown.gif

However, you do realize that AIFF and ALAC are both "lossless" audio formats, right? To claim that you can hear a difference between them and not expect a few raised eyebrows is rather naive on your part, don't you think?

EDIT: I see your above comment. I personally don't think there's anything wrong with preferring AIFF over ALAC if it pleases your sensitivities. We all have our passions, and just knowing that there is "compression" might bug you, even though there is no perceptible difference.. No problem - memory is cheap.

Aug 7, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #154 of 408
Sorry, not getting involved, made a commitment when I came back to block people like you so I have now done so, don't bother responding as I won't see it. This place is meant to be fun, not what your giving out!

Aug 7, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #155 of 408
I just ordered a pair of HiFiMAN HE-500's, so I'll plan on bringing them as well as my Denon AH-D7000's. My source will be my Logitech Squeezebox Touch loaded with a few GB of music (lossless FLAC) hooked up to my vintage Carver Receiver.

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #158 of 408
HE-500's would be cool to check out!  They're way more than I'd ever want to spend, so I'm a bit scared to try them (along with the Audeze's, and any other uber-pricey gear people are bringing) in case I fall in love and end up buying stuff I shouldn't even be thinking about!

I'm with you on that, as of now the best I've heard is my Denons and I have difficult imagining what could sound better...

Aug 9, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #160 of 408
No Fostex from what I'm aware of... If someone has it, sure but I certainly won't be bringing a set (neither can I afford it)

Aug 10, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #161 of 408
Sorry guys, will not be able to make it.

Taking a extended trip and looks like  I am going to be probably on a beach in Langkawi during that time.

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #162 of 408
wait, you mean there are people who actually want to go to the beach instead of spending time indoors checking out cans?

all jokes aside, have fun man, enjoy the sun while the summer is still here.  hope to see you at the next one!

Aug 11, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #163 of 408
No worries!! Sounds fun!

Okay guys, Travis told me to take down the info on the location because we're not supposed to be "advertising"? Not a big problem though. If you need info, shoot me a PM and I can tell you the location of the event.

Aug 11, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #164 of 408
Having heard Guru's set up we are truly going to be missing out! For me it was the best sound I heard at the last show.

Aug 11, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #165 of 408
I don't really have any exciting headphone gear to bring at the moment as I am in a speakers only phase... (ha ha, speakers, phase, little audio humour there...) but if anyone else is going to be bringing some modern high-end digital sources (Ayre, Berkeley, Weiss, Meitner, that sort of thing...) I'd be interested in bringing out my Olde Sonic Frontiers SFD-2 Mk.III (with Parts Connexion SE+ upgrade and Dexa op amps in I/V stage).  The thing is nearly 20 years old, yet the digital board has been upgraded twice over its life -- the Mk.III digital board has a Pacific Microsonics PMD-200 filter chip, and eight PCM-1704 DACs.  It can go up to 24/96, and I think it sounds pretty darn good doing so, but I'd be really curious to hear some more modern stuff...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back