September 16th Vancouver Head-Fi MEET!
Aug 12, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #166 of 408
Quote:
I don't really have any exciting headphone gear to bring at the moment as I am in a speakers only phase... (ha ha, speakers, phase, little audio humour there...) but if anyone else is going to be bringing some modern high-end digital sources (Ayre, Berkeley, Weiss, Meitner, that sort of thing...) I'd be interested in bringing out my Olde Sonic Frontiers SFD-2 Mk.III (with Parts Connexion SE+ upgrade and Dexa op amps in I/V stage).  The thing is nearly 20 years old, yet the digital board has been upgraded twice over its life -- the Mk.III digital board has a Pacific Microsonics PMD-200 filter chip, and eight PCM-1704 DACs.  It can go up to 24/96, and I think it sounds pretty darn good doing so, but I'd be really curious to hear some more modern stuff...

I don't know if other members are going to appreciate you playing speakers in the meet when we're listening to open headphones! Hahaha but bring whatever you wish to bring. I would be more than eager to try out your old school gear with my modern stuff. More variety, the better

Aug 12, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #167 of 408
Quote:
Okay guys, Travis told me to take down the info on the location because we're not supposed to be "advertising"? Not a big problem though. If you need info, shoot me a PM and I can tell you the location of the event.

Uhm, really?  This seems odd.  It's not advertising, it's planning a Head-Fi meet-up.  If I had just stumbled upon this thread now with the location removed I probably wouldn't bother PM'ing you for the address.  Come on, these are public events and aren't meant to be a secret.... are they?  Maybe I'm crazy but this whole section of head-fi is specifically for planning meet-ups.  Don't all the other threads have locations?  I was watching the recent Seattle thread and their location was at the bottlehead headquarters (so quite obviously sponsored) and they didn't have to hide the location.  Did Travis get spoken to by forum mods or is he just being careful?

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #169 of 408
Quote:

Uhm, really?  This seems odd.  It's not advertising, it's planning a Head-Fi meet-up.  If I had just stumbled upon this thread now with the location removed I probably wouldn't bother PM'ing you for the address.  Come on, these are public events and aren't meant to be a secret.... are they?  Maybe I'm crazy but this whole section of head-fi is specifically for planning meet-ups.  Don't all the other threads have locations?  I was watching the recent Seattle thread and their location was at the bottlehead headquarters (so quite obviously sponsored) and they didn't have to hide the location.  Did Travis get spoken to by forum mods or is he just being careful?

Quote:
I recall it doesn't matter because its not exactly advertising, and people do it all the time, and nobody cares anyways.

Travis isn't even on head-fi.

From what Travis told me, I think it was either a request from the community center itself and/or a precaution. I'm just doing what I was asked to do guys, and he asked me to remove the location of the event. If this causes any trouble for anyone, shoot me a PM and I will gladly discuss it privately. And Girls Generation, Travis goes by the username headphoneabuser. I also agree how it's not intentional advertising, but I guess precautions should be considered since Travis did ask me personally to remove the info. Like I said before, if anyone has any issues, please discuss it with me privately and sorry for any inconvenience this may stir.

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #170 of 408
From what Travis told me, I think it was either a request from the community center itself and/or a precaution. I'm just doing what I was asked to do guys, and he asked me to remove the location of the event. If this causes any trouble for anyone, shoot me a PM and I will gladly discuss it privately. And Girls Generation, Travis goes by the username headphoneabuser. I also agree how it's not intentional advertising, but I guess precautions should be considered since Travis did ask me personally to remove the info. Like I said before, if anyone has any issues, please discuss it with me privately and sorry for any inconvenience this may stir.

I think I might be able to shed some light on this. I belong to a pen club as well and we can use public buildings as we are a not for profit group so things like this community center and libraries are open to us. However As Travis runs a commercial business the city would probably look upon it as in part a commercial venture so it would not be allowed. I know it is nit picking but there it is. I guess I can understand. Those of us who know Travis know he is a valuable member of the local headphone community but if the city were to let businesses in then where would it stop.

Ordinary folks who want to run not for profit events would end up probably losing places to do so as less scrupulous businesses would take advantage of the privilege. Unfortunately that would then stop good guys like Travis coming in so I can completely understand we have to keep this under the radar for Travis's sake as he could possibly get fined otherwise.

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #171 of 408
Quote:
I think I might be able to shed some light on this. I belong to a pen club as well and we can use public buildings as we are a not for profit group so things like this community center and libraries are open to us. However As Travis runs a commercial business the city would probably look upon it as in part a commercial venture so it would not be allowed. I know it is nit picking but there it is. I guess I can understand. Those of us who know Travis know he is a valuable member of the local headphone community but if the city were to let businesses in then where would it stop.
Ordinary folks who want to run not for profit events would end up probably losing places to do so as less scrupulous businesses would take advantage of the privilege. Unfortunately that would then stop good guys like Travis coming in so I can completely understand we have to keep this under the radar for Travis's sake as he could possibly get fined otherwise.

Just filled in the spaces for me there! I didn't exactly get 100% of what Travis was saying to me because I was listening to some LCD3s at his shop at the time (very easily distracted) so I only got the parts where he said "remove the location on Head-Fi", "*forgot most of it* because of advertising the community center", and "please". Funny because I think you just told the full story without talking to him while I was talking to him and I only got 20% of the story

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #172 of 408
Hey, I was writing it as I was listening to Solti's Don Giovanni on my LCD2's so I can fully understand the distraction of listening to the 3's!

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #174 of 408
Quote:
Hey, I was writing it as I was listening to Solti's Don Giovanni on my LCD2's so I can fully understand the distraction of listening to the 3's!

Hahaha music and conversation doesn't work well together; actually, it never did so who am I foolin'? Great cans the LCD3s! Just don't know if they are worth a $1000 increase to the LCD2s, but truely superior cans!

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #176 of 408
That's true, I didn't consider Travis running a business. I just found it strange because I recall most meets post the location and time up in the thread.

Can you bring some pens to the meet? I'm a FP user as well, and I'd appreciate trying some other pens. I'm using a Parker 75 cisele around 25 years old I think, still going strong, strictly Rhodia/Clairefontaine use, and enjoying a Noodler's Bad belted Kingfisher, and J'herbin Perle Noire.
Quote:

Aug 13, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #178 of 408
So for members who doesn't know the location, PM me!! Just gotta think of a way to transport all my equipment from Coquitlam to Van safely...

Aug 13, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #179 of 408
That's true, I didn't consider Travis running a business. I just found it strange because I recall most meets post the location and time up in the thread.

Can you bring some pens to the meet? I'm a FP user as well, and I'd appreciate trying some other pens. I'm using a Parker 75 cisele around 25 years old I think, still going strong, strictly Rhodia/Clairefontaine use, and enjoying a Noodler's Bad belted Kingfisher, and J'herbin Perle Noire.

Absolutely! I love the 75 Cisele, one of the all time classic fountain pens, so rare to see vintage ones in the flesh now. I only have a small collection but will bring them all. I have two Mont Blanc's, the 149 and the new Alfred Hitchcock limited edition, a Montegrappa Historia limited edition, two of the new Stipula Tuscan dreams limited editions, one a piston filler with 14k flex italic nib and the other a CC with Titanium nib, they are amazing to look at! A vintage Sheaffer gold filled imperial, A 1927 Parker Duofold and a 1944 Parker 51 Vacumatic.

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #180 of 408
Oh wow, a "small" collection eh? :p
It's pretty impressive to me and I'd love to try them out.

Quote:
Absolutely! I love the 75 Cisele, one of the all time classic fountain pens, so rare to see vintage ones in the flesh now. I only have a small collection but will bring them all. I have two Mont Blanc's, the 149 and the new Alfred Hitchcock limited edition, a Montegrappa Historia limited edition, two of the new Stipula Tuscan dreams limited editions, one a piston filler with 14k flex italic nib and the other a CC with Titanium nib, they are amazing to look at! A vintage Sheaffer gold filled imperial, A 1927 Parker Duofold and a 1944 Parker 51 Vacumatic.

On a different note, by 9/16 I may or may not have either a Mjolnir or an Audio-gd Phoenix by the looks of it. I don't think I'll be getting a desktop DAC until the Gungnir is out to decide. Hopefully we can source my to-be-amp with one of the guys'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back