Sensaphonics 3MAX Reviews?
Jan 28, 2012 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Aegwyn11

New Head-Fier
Why is it that it seems I can't find any reviews on the 3MAX on here? Can someone help point me to some or explain why there aren't any?

I've been a Shure owner for some time with first the e5, then se530. The Shure's are decent, and mostly comfortable ever since Shure added the black foamies. But, I do notice some discomfort after a few hours. Up until now, I've always used the Shures only for travel, but now my wife is going to grad school and I decided to get some really good headphones so I can enjoy music, movies, games, etc. without interrupting her studies.

I've always enjoyed 'warm, musical' sounding full size speakers (Vienna Acoustics, Sonus Faber, etc) and I'm wondering what kind of profile the 3MAX's have. I'm mostly interested in the 3MAX's because they use silicone...cramming hard acrylic into my ears for several hours each night just doesn't sound like fun, based on the discomfort I get from the Shure's after a few hours.

Feb 1, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 10
Right or wrong, Sensaphonics stays focused on the market our products are designed for -- touring musicians and sound engineers. When we speak with audiophiles (which does happen), we typically recommend the 2MAX dual-driver, designed for accurate reproduction across the spectrum. The 3MAX has a more aggressive bass response (triple driver 2-way system with twin bass drivers).

Your comment on soft silicone is right on. It's a significant advantage over acrylic both in terms of comfort and isolation.

The 3MAX was designed for rock musicians who specifically want that extra bass and hotter output. The early (and enthusiastic) adopters of this model were bands like Bon Jovi and ZZ Top, which should tell you a lot.

As to why there are no reviews of the 3MAX, that's a fair question. Sensaphonics doesn't actively pursue the audiophile market, and typically does not provide free review samples. So it hasn't happened.

There's a very thoughtful and positive review of the 2MAX done by Chris Martens in Playback in late 2010, in which he compares it quite favorably head-to-head with the 8-driver JH product. It's a great testament to the power of proper holistic product design.

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 10
Jack,

Thanks for the response, the review was very helpful.

Question - I usually prefer musicality and warmth over outright accuracy. Do you still recommend the 2MAX for me?

FYI I strongly prefer the Shure 530s to the 430s...I find them to be much warmer and more musical, and the 530s are dual bass driver while the 430s are single. Not sure if the 3MAX v. 2MAX is even similar, which is why I'm asking the question.

Sep 2, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #5 of 10
I haven't posted much recently but am looking at IEM's again.

I was of course looking at the JH Audio stuff, but have looked at Sensaphonics now because I have 2 other applications I would like to use the monitors in:  Shooting and Motorcycle riding.  That brings me to appreciate the really superb isolation advantages the Sensaphonics offer over all the other IEMs.

Oct 15, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
Jack,
Thanks for the response, the review was very helpful.
Question - I usually prefer musicality and warmth over outright accuracy. Do you still recommend the 2MAX for me?
FYI I strongly prefer the Shure 530s to the 430s...I find them to be much warmer and more musical, and the 530s are dual bass driver while the 430s are single. Not sure if the 3MAX v. 2MAX is even similar, which is why I'm asking the question.

Sorry so late in responding. Sounds like you're a candidate for the 3MAX. It's got a lovely sound -- warm, rich and full -- that I find quite addicting.

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
Could you comment on the 3D Active Ambient 3D-2? Is that a 2-XS or 2MAX with the 3D Active Ambient system?

Neither.

The 3D Active Ambient uses a unique and proprietary driver found in no other product. Because the 3D has a dedicated power source (the 9V alkaline within the 3D bodypack mixer/amp), Sensaphonics was able to specify a full-range BA driver designed to deliver the sound signature of the 2X-S/2MAX. The 3D-2 version of the earphones adds a second identical driver (but no crossover), providing an extra 6 dB of headroom.

In general, IEMs are dependent on their source for power. For the 3D Active Ambient, power requirements are significantly greater than just pushing sound through the earphones. The ambient mics require power, as does the bodypack. In typical live music applications, the 3D is paired with a wireless IEM system (typically by Sennheiser or Shure), with the musician wearing a bodypack receiver powered by a pair of AA batteries. Sharing this low-voltage source proved problematic (read: unreliable), as delivery of full system performance could not be guaranteed. For this reason, Sensaphonics design engineers specified a 9V as part of the patented 3D system.

I love using my 3D for casual listening, but usually go with my 2X-S and save the 3D for concerts and recording studios so as not to burn through 9V batteries.
Exception: airplanes. The 3D is great in that application, allowing me to hear the flight attendant without removing my IEMs.
Bonus value: When not used with a sound source, the 3D becomes a variable-level custom earplug with flat response.

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #10 of 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back