Sensaphonic CIEM's isolation v standard foamies
Jul 11, 2013 at 6:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

herringfly

New Head-Fier
I'm really curious to know if anyone can tell me if the sensaphonic CIEM's (3MAX) offer as much isolation as standard foam tips do?

As a drummer I really need isolation, I have tried various acrylic CIEM's before but no matter how good the seal they just don't offer as much isolation as my Shure SE535's do.

I have noticed that all the Acrylic CIEM manufactures specs say they offer up to 26db isolation.

On the Shure website it claims the SE535's offer up to 37db isolation.

I guess that is why I prefer the shure foamies as 11db isolation is a lot!

The sensaphonics claim to offer the best isolation in the business as they use silicon instead if acrylic. There website claims to offer up to 37db isolation too which is the equivalent to the foamies!

I'm keen to know if someone could give me their experience with Sensaphonics isolation.

If it is as good as they claim on the website, very keen to get my hands on some!

Jul 13, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #2 of 8
Historically, Sensaphonics was the first to publish the 37 dB isolation spec. I was in the meetings and was technical writer of the User Guide. That figure was based on research in comparison to other IEMs on the market, which (then and now) had largely settled on 26 dB isolation as the gold standard -- much as '20-20k' became the standard for frequency response in stereo equipment back in the 60s/70s. Within about a year, Shure began publishing 37 dB as the isolation specification for all their new IEM products. This is not a criticism; just a fact.

To answer your question, the solid silicone earpieces of Sensaphonics IEMs can be expected, on average, to exceed the isolation of most any universal-fit IEM (including 535s with foamies) or acrylic CIEM on the market. But it's very much a personal and individual phenomenon. You may be in possession of a combination of physiology and insertion technique that makes the 535 totally optimal for you in terms of isolation.

I have personally used both the Shure SE Series with foamies and multiple Sensaphonics products. For me, the isolation difference is significant in favor of Sensaphonics. YMMV.

Of course, Sensaphonics is a client of mine, so feel free to take this post with as much salt as suits you.

Jul 13, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for that information Jack, I hear what you are saying. I guess I'm just trying to get all the info and other people's experience before I cough up up over $1000 for something I could potentially be disappointed in. (Not giving enough isolation)

Still not sure what to do?

Jul 13, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #4 of 8
I wish I could advise you with certainty, but the simple truth is that no one can. And yes, it's a big commitment.

Statistically, in a stage monitor context, the odds are great that you will get better isolation with properly fitted, full-shell soft silicone earpieces. But the simple fact is that every individual is different, and I'm aware of documented cases where yellow foam has provided surprisingly high isolation. But on average, silicone has a considerable advantage.

You're smart to do the research. If you have more questions, ask away or give us a call.

Best of luck in your search.

Jul 13, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 8
Jack, would it be possible to work with Sensaphonics and an experienced audiologist to get a deeper-fitting silicone custom 3MAX for herringfly so he can get the maximum isolation? That might be perfect for him.

I think that might be something he could talk to Sensaphonics about, what do you say?

Jul 14, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #6 of 8
It's commonly stated on head-fi that a 'musician's fit' with longer canals offers better isolation.  I've also read (in numerous CIEM forums) that silicone blocks different frequencies than acrylic does but is generally better for sound reduction.

I would suggest referencing Average Joe's CIEM threads and his page listing isolation ratings here: http://theheadphonelist.com/ciem-list/

Worth noting is that in some CIEMs the shells are solid acrylic (a thicker shell) and that M-fidelity offers an acylic shell with a silicone fill.

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
Jack, would it be possible to work with Sensaphonics and an experienced audiologist to get a deeper-fitting silicone custom 3MAX for herringfly so he can get the maximum isolation? That might be perfect for him.

I think that might be something he could talk to Sensaphonics about, what do you say?

We already do that, for everyone! Sensaphonics IEMs are designed with a deep fit, past the second bend of the ear canal, specifically to maximize isolation and minimize the possibility of losing the seal during performance. I don't know if there's an "even deeper" option, but a call to the company would be welcome.

---------also---------
Checked out average_joe's CIEM listing. Is that his personal rating of the isolation provided?

Aug 29, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #8 of 8
Saw this old thread come up in a Google search, so it seemed like an opportune moment to post some science:

Silicone Isolation Study - Michael & Associates

Sensa-isolation-e1497383457258.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back