Sennheiser's vs. Sony vs. Audio Technica
Nov 7, 2012 at 2:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

NMaldo94

New Head-Fier
I plan on buying one of the three (trying to move on from the whole Beats line) but not sure which to choose. I've heard ATH-M50's from Audio Technica, HD-380's from Sennheiser, and Sony and Bose, not sure of there specific products. Looking for closed headphones, good base (not necessarily overpowering). Also if they're good for casual listening & recording/monitoring would be a plus. Thank you in advance.

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #2 of 8
Personally, I like the sounds of the HD280 over the Sennheiser HD380, and don't think the 380 is worth the extra costs.

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #4 of 8
I've only ever heard the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 and AD900, which are open, bright sounding headphones.

This may help though: The Senn. has deep bass, while the Audio Technica M50 adds mid bass.

graphCompare.php

And here is the isolation graph: The Sennheiser HD280 wins. (Lower is better.)
graphCompare.php

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #5 of 8
Have a look at the Shure SRH840's and if they're available where you are the Fischer Audio FA-03(and OEM versions). I think the Shures stomp the M50's, although they are somewhat bright to some people(my friend can't stand them, he prefers my T50RPs, which are much darker) and the FA03 are supposed to be fairly similar, but less detailed.

Nov 8, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 8
@stevenswall thank you for the visuals. I noticed you have used the Shure 840's too.

@stevenswall & @Tangster how is the Shure 840 comfort and isolation level? Also would they be preferred over Sennheiser?

Nov 8, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #7 of 8
I'm basically, trying to find a pair of headphones that are comfortable, have good isolation, good sound quality, good for monitoring/recording and also casual listening. Not to familiar with brands such as Shure (so thanks for introducing me to that brand) would the genre of music influence which headphones i should choose?

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
I'm basically, trying to find a pair of headphones that are comfortable, have good isolation, good sound quality, good for monitoring/recording and also casual listening. Not to familiar with brands such as Shure (so thanks for introducing me to that brand) would the genre of music influence which headphones i should choose?

Quote:
@stevenswall thank you for the visuals. I noticed you have used the Shure 840's too.
@stevenswall & @Tangster how is the Shure 840 comfort and isolation level? Also would they be preferred over Sennheiser?

Isolation is quite good. They aren't perfectly comfortable though, as they are heavy and the headband sometime develops a pressure point on the top of some peoples heads. I use mine with the SRH940 velour pads, which reduces isolation but increases the comfort imo. I haven't heard the HD280's so I can't comment.
Quote:

Shure do good monitoring headphones. Most of their line is fairly flat and as such tends to work well with most genres as long as you aren't a basshead. I feel Sennheiser are often better for jazz and easy listening type genres than Shure as they have a very smooth sound to most of their line up. I don't really think Sennheisers fullsize cans are great with isolation, even the closed ones. I find they tend to leak sound near the top of my jaw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back