Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jan 5, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #4,051 of 4,141
I have always found the lack of bass in these high impedance headphones to be due to power issues. Bass frequencies push a lot of air and accordingly need power. Magni (gen 1, not gen 3) could have enough power for the low impedance HD598, but not for the 300 ohms HD6XX. It’s difficult to know the power output of a 1st gen magni, since the specs are no longer available on the Schiit website, but given the fact that the magni amp gains more power through every revision, their gen 1 is likely to be significantly less powerful than the magni 3, but I am not sure. HD6XX has great bass through a powerful enough amp like the Jotunheim, or a high power tube amp like the La Figaro 339, although the bass quickly cuts off at the sub bass level. Don’t expect it to kick like a subwoofer. For that, you would need a LCD-3.

I have heard both the 598 and 6XX. I am not sure if the 6XX has more bass than 598, but it sure has a warmer mid range that makes voices sound fuller. It is also smoother with less harsh treble than 598, but my impressions are a few years old, from memory. Of course, the 6XX scales a lot with upscale gear compared to 598.
Tried the comparison just now with a Quad Vena amp and the results are the same. I certainly didn't expect it to be like an LCD-3, just expected a bit more than the HD 598s, which is all I wanted.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #4,052 of 4,141
Tried the comparison just now with a Quad Vena amp and the results are the same. I certainly didn't expect it to be like an LCD-3, just expected a bit more than the HD 598s, which is all I wanted.

Hmm ... may be it’s not for you then. As I said, my experience is different than yours. One thing, Quad Vena is mainly a speaker amp, isn’t it. The headphone out of a speaker amp isn’t always powerful enough to drive high impedance phones. It depends on what HeadAmp circuitry it has inside. My Denon home theater receiver has enough power for the speakers, but it’s headphone out is not powerful at all. Anyway, this where our subjective listening preference may take over.

Jan 5, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #4,053 of 4,141
Hmm ... may be it’s not for you then. As I said, my experience is different than yours. One thing, Quad Vena is mainly a speaker amp, isn’t it. The headphone out of a speaker amp isn’t always powerful enough to drive high impedance phones. It depends on what HeadAmp circuitry it has inside. My Denon home theater receiver has enough power for the speakers, but it’s headphone out is not powerful at all. Anyway, this where our subjective listening preference may take over.
It is a speaker amp first, but it has a dedicated headphone amp section and its definitely powerful enough. I can't even turn it up past 1/3 volume before its far too loud.

Jan 5, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #4,054 of 4,141
Burn in?? Another random thought, provided you believe in it. :)

Jan 5, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #4,056 of 4,141
Yeah, along with aftermarket cables and things like that, I'm just not a believer in all that. Just reeks of snake oil to me. I'm going to stick with them for a couple weeks and see how I feel by the end of it. Despite its issues, there are some qualities I like.
Some cables are cheap and sound really bad
Others may be snake oil as you climb up the price wise, and some may actually make a difference for better or worse. Of course one could add the yang to this is the better the equipment before or after the cable will also make any differences known again for better or worse. I have always stated that cables should only be like fine polish and if cables make any bigger difference you have flaws in your system.

Jan 5, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #4,057 of 4,141
Burn in?? Another random thought, provided you believe in it. :)
Maybe, but a brand new pair of headphones or speakers will sound different from when they have been used a while. And to a lesser extent amps and dac’s do change a bit after a run in due to the capacitors and other components doing their electron dance. And what about warm up, some people believe solid state is good to go the moment you flick the on switch.

Jan 5, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #4,058 of 4,141
Maybe, but a brand new pair of headphones or speakers will sound different from when they have been used a while. And to a lesser extent amps and dac’s do change a bit after a run in due to the capacitors and other components doing their electron dance. And what about warm up, some people believe solid state is good to go the moment you flick the on switch.

See, I didn’t state my opinion one way or the other, because this is a grey area. I suggested he give burn in a shot provided he believes it might make a difference. :)

I can’t say for sure if my 6XX really changed in sound through listening. I think the sound may seem a bit fuller from the time I first listened to it, but I don’t know if the headphones changed, or my mind adjusted to it, may be a bit of both, who knows :wink: :beerchug:

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #4,060 of 4,141
How do they compare to other open backs in the same price range? I listened to the HD series and I gotta say I'm really not a fan. Let alone the fact that they require a good external DAC / amp and I don't think my Dragonfly Red is going to be enough lol.

There are a lot of open back headphones in this price range. The HD580/600/650/6XX all have the same overall sound signature, so if you didn’t like one you probably won’t like the others. It would be harder to judge if you listened to other Sennheiser HD headphones.

A Dragonfly Red won’t get you the best possible performance from a HD6XX, but it should be fine in general.

Jan 8, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #4,061 of 4,141
I received my 6xx today, been listening for a few hours and i’m a bit underwhelmed. They aren’t bad, but the dt1990 i’ve been using for the last few weeks just seems to do everything a bit better.

Comfort isn’t great, i find the pads too shallow, clamp is a bit tight but that will get better.

Jan 8, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #4,062 of 4,141
It is a speaker amp first, but it has a dedicated headphone amp section and its definitely powerful enough. I can't even turn it up past 1/3 volume before its far too loud.
Not really an indication of power, just gain.

The 650/6XX has an impedance bump at 100 Hz that reaches over 500 ohms. it's steadily climbing to that 500 ohm peak beginning at 10Hz. From 500 ohms, it takes it all the way to 2kHz before it's back down to 300 ohms. A speaker amp is not optimized for those kind of impedances. We also have no idea what makes up the "dedicated headphone amp section."

I'm not saying it's definitive, but it's quite possible your amp is simply amplifying high-mids to the exclusion of bass.

Jan 8, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #4,063 of 4,141
Not really an indication of power, just gain.

The 650/6XX has an impedance bump at 100 Hz that reaches over 500 ohms. it's steadily climbing to that 500 ohm peak beginning at 10Hz. From 500 ohms, it takes it all the way to 2kHz before it's back down to 300 ohms. A speaker amp is not optimized for those kind of impedances. We also have no idea what makes up the "dedicated headphone amp section."

I'm not saying it's definitive, but it's quite possible your amp is simply amplifying high-mids to the exclusion of bass.
I actually listened to a speaker amp of 100 W connected to HD800S. I had no issues, but it sounded so sensitive that I can hear the electronics signals when music wasn't playing. There was 2 gain settings though. I have to look at the spec's of the integrated amp again, but I didn't take any consideration of the HD800S impedance load before connecting to hear it.

Jan 8, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #4,064 of 4,141
I received my 6xx today, been listening for a few hours and i’m a bit underwhelmed. They aren’t bad, but the dt1990 i’ve been using for the last few weeks just seems to do everything a bit better.

Comfort isn’t great, i find the pads too shallow, clamp is a bit tight but that will get better.

Give them a lot more play time and your opinion may change. You can also gently bend the headband wider for a more comfortable fit.

The HD 6XX is a fabulous headphone, especially when driven by a good amplifier, in my view.

Jan 8, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #4,065 of 4,141
Give them a lot more play time and your opinion may change. You can also gently bend the headband wider for a more comfortable fit.

The HD 6XX is a fabulous headphone, especially when driven by a good amplifier, in my view.
Before bending them, just make sure you fully extend the metal adjusters and ONLY bend the metal parts. If you bend the plastic, it will break.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back