Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jan 30, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #4,081 of 4,141
Feb 28, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #4,083 of 4,141
Yeah, I was using a Topping DX3 and compared the HD6XX to my Aeon closed, HD600, and HD660S at the time.
The HD6XX was remarkably more romantic and pleasant with some songs, and I prefered them over the HD600 and 660S overal, but they weren't right for IDM or EDM.
I prefered the HD660S and Aeons for those genres. That's not to say that the HD6XX aren't good for those genres

Im going to suggest that either a headphone reproduces music accurately or it doesnt'. If you like the 6xx because it is "remarkably romantic and pleasant" sounding but you don't like EDM or IDM through the 6xx .... the 6xx have not changed, they are still "remarkably romantic and pleasant" but what you are listening to is not ..... :wink:

Feb 28, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #4,084 of 4,141
What I need is a chimera with the lows and mids of LCD3, treble of HD800S and imaging of the Utopia. Then I will be happy :grin:. 6XX has none of it, still I enjoy it, especially when I am tired and don't want the headphones to offend me.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #4,085 of 4,141
especially when I am tired and don't want the headphones to offend me.

exactly, non-fatiguing audio gear is the best audio gear (unless you only want to listen for 35 minutes at a time) / controversial statement.

Mar 2, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #4,087 of 4,141
Referring to the ‘romantic and pleasant’ statement, I recently hooked up Chord Mojo to Jotunheim. I never tried this combo before, always using Mimby with Jot. But I am glad I did, for Mojo and Jot completely changd the personality of the 6XX. Guess what I was listening, and enjoying with it, Guns N’ Roses, 70’s rock ... Kiss, Queen. Also, I have some EDM albums by Silent Strike, so I checked them out next. As expected, 6XX was phenomenal with them. There are two major aspects of the Mojo+Jot combo that work so well with these albums, one is the full bodied, almost visceral bass, the other is the noticeably deep soundstage, something that I never experienced with the Mimby. For the first time, I am hearing things in front of my face, as opposed to only inside my head or behind. 6XX is also extremely energetic and sounds fast!! It sounds like floor standing speakers and I am not exaggerating. Closing my eyes, I almost felt the realism of being in a live rock concert. Again, I am not exaggerating. There is something about this setup that gives a special perspective into these 70s rock albums. Their distortion effects, the hard plannings, the soundstage, they all start falling in place. You really feel what these musicians were into.

Curious, I started a fresh listening of my collection of lossless albums, hoping to discover them in a new light. What I found was, the Mojo+Jot+6XX is magical with certain albums. A few that rise up: Bob Dylan and Harry Belafonte’s recordings (Belafonte at Carnegie Hall was superb), pretty much all of Andrea Bocelli’s albums, Dire Straits studio albums, Willie Nelson’s Moment of Forever, Barbara Streisand’s Broadway album, Beatles, Fiddle Fire by Charlie Daniel’s band (can tolerate this album for only 30 sec with HD800), American Woman by Guess Who, the list goes on. However, certain albums do sound totally unimpressive, some classical music and jazz with major cymbals. Cymbals somehow sound totally off, too mild, impactless down in the mix. Anyway, for those I always have the HD800. However, violin sounds good and draws emotion (not sure if accurate) to my ears with this combo. In summary, Mojo+Jot+6XX is a combo worth trying, not only for those who are into EDM and rock music (vocals too), but those who never loved those genres. Who knows, your opinion might change:)

One thing, if you are hooking up mojo to RCA inputs of your amp, be careful not to keep the headphones plugged in while inserting the line in plug. Transient noise can harm your ears or the headphone, or both.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #4,088 of 4,141
Referring to the ‘romantic and pleasant’ statement, I recently hooked up Chord Mojo to Jotunheim. I never tried this combo before, always using Mimby with Jot. But I am glad I did, for Mojo and Jot completely changd the personality of the 6XX. Guess what I was listening, and enjoying with it, Guns N’ Roses, 70’s rock ... Kiss, Queen. Also, I have some EDM albums by Silent Strike, so I checked them out next. As expected, 6XX was phenomenal with them. There are two major aspects of the Mojo+Jot combo that work so well with these albums, one is the full bodied, almost visceral bass, the other is the noticeably deep soundstage, something that I never experienced with the Mimby. For the first time, I am hearing things in front of my face, as opposed to only inside my head or behind. 6XX is also extremely energetic and sounds fast!! It sounds like floor standing speakers and I am not exaggerating. Closing my eyes, I almost felt the realism of being in a live rock concert. Again, I am not exaggerating. There is something about this setup that gives a special perspective into these 70s rock albums. Their distortion effects, the hard plannings, the soundstage, they all start falling in place. You really feel what these musicians were into.

Curious, I started a fresh listening of my collection of lossless albums, hoping to discover them in a new light. What I found was, the Mojo+Jot+6XX is magical with certain albums. A few that rise up: Bob Dylan and Harry Belafonte’s recordings (Belafonte at Carnegie Hall was superb), pretty much all of Andrea Bocelli’s albums, Dire Straits studio albums, Willie Nelson’s Moment of Forever, Barbara Streisand’s Broadway album, Beatles, Fiddle Fire by Charlie Daniel’s band (can tolerate this album for only 30 sec with HD800), American Woman by Guess Who, the list goes on. However, certain albums do sound totally unimpressive, some classical music and jazz with major cymbals. Cymbals somehow sound totally off, too mild, impactless down in the mix. Anyway, for those I always have the HD800. However, violin sounds good and draws emotion (not sure if accurate) to my ears with this combo. In summary, Mojo+Jot+6XX is a combo worth trying, not only for those who are into EDM and rock music (vocals too), but those who never loved those genre. Who knows, your opinion might change:)

One thing, if you are hooking up mojo to RCA inputs of your amp, be careful not to keep the headphones plugged in while inserting the line in plug. Transient noise can harm your ears or the headphone, or both.

How about 6XX + Mojo + Magni 3, Vali 2 or even Asgard 2..!?

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #4,089 of 4,141
I haven’t heard any of those. If these also have similar sound characteristics as Jot, there may be synergy with Mojo. Actually, Schiit amps have a slight emphasis on the trebles and Mojo is warm. This probably makes these a good combo. Moreover, Jotunheim is widely known to produce deep, clean bass, and I agree very much.

Mar 4, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #4,090 of 4,141
P_20190304_231948_vHDR_Auto.jpg
My end game (currently) set up for the HD6XX:
DAC: RME ADI-2 DAC
AMP: La Figaro 339 (Telefunken EF86 drivers and Tung Sol 5998 power)

The 6XX in this setup has the top end veil lifted whilst producing impressive bass rumble and thump. Prior to this setup, running different tubes, the top end always felt somewhat veiled. This veil isn't especially apparent UNTIL you listen to another more detailed can such as the HE560 and then switching back. Also, before the Tung Sol 5998, I was using the RCA 6080 and these were a bit bass shy for the 6XX. Putting on the 5998 as power tubes immediately added head bopping bass, the likes of which was previously unheard of. This bass also doesn't bleed into the mids which is a good thing.
One other improvement is the staging and imaging. Improved further by the Telefunken EF86 by providing oozes of details while maintaining a 3D-ish stage with holographic imaging to match the 3D stage.

Mar 15, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #4,093 of 4,141
My end game (currently) set up for the HD6XX:
DAC: RME ADI-2 DAC
AMP: La Figaro 339 (Telefunken EF86 drivers and Tung Sol 5998 power)

The 6XX in this setup has the top end veil lifted whilst producing impressive bass rumble and thump. Prior to this setup, running different tubes, the top end always felt somewhat veiled. This veil isn't especially apparent UNTIL you listen to another more detailed can such as the HE560 and then switching back. Also, before the Tung Sol 5998, I was using the RCA 6080 and these were a bit bass shy for the 6XX. Putting on the 5998 as power tubes immediately added head bopping bass, the likes of which was previously unheard of. This bass also doesn't bleed into the mids which is a good thing.
One other improvement is the staging and imaging. Improved further by the Telefunken EF86 by providing oozes of details while maintaining a 3D-ish stage with holographic imaging to match the 3D stage.

One question: Why did you mount your 5998s with adapters? They just go in by themselves, don't they.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back