Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jun 13, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #3,946 of 4,141
I don't think the Fulla used as a DAC for a much better amplifier will satisfy you that much, too big a difference in sound quality, despite the pricing of the L-Spark. I have found etm.com to be pretty accurate so far, at least in using gear they have also highly recommended. I raised an eyebrow or two reading what they said about the L-Spark myself, it looks very interesting and at that price, it could be a right cracker of an amp. Far be it for me to suggest much more than my own personal opinion and that would be to wait for the L-Spark and buy a nice little DAC to go with it, maybe a Modi 2, or even better a Modi Multibit.
As far as missing out by using just the Fulla 2, I would be missing out a lot, but you might not and be quite happy enough at that level, I know plenty of folks who are. I suspect you'd like to go better than that :)

Thanks for your advice!

The thing is my HD6XX will ship very soon and I do not have anything to drive it with :frowning2:

Jun 13, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #3,947 of 4,141
I have mine on the way too, however I plan on playing them from my AV receiver for a while first before breaking out the Schiit (Valhalla 2), as consensus reads that it sounds decent with about anything, but really scales with a better amp. So I want to experience a baseline before going to what will be TOMW (Top-Of-My-Wallet).

Jun 13, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #3,948 of 4,141
Thanks for your advice!

The thing is my HD6XX will ship very soon and I do not have anything to drive it with :frowning2:

That’s perfectly ok. When I got my 6xx, I listened to it from my iPhone and MacBook Pro for a while before spending money on the jotunheim. I knew all the way that I am not getting even one percent of what 6xx is capable of by listening it unamped. I think, the important thing is to be patient and not spend money on a stopgap amp just because something is needed immediately, but that’s just me. I have seen, it pays off to wait and save for the ultimate stuff than buying something cheaper and upgrading later. Lots of hassle and also not financially efficient.

BTW, 6xx sounds good from the headphone out of the MacBook Pro. The resolution or the deep bass is not there, but I like the tonality.

Jun 13, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #3,949 of 4,141
That’s perfectly ok. When I got my 6xx, I listened to it from my iPhone and MacBook Pro for a while before spending money on the jotunheim. I knew all the way that I am not getting even one percent of what 6xx is capable of by listening it unamped. I think, the important thing is to be patient and not spend money on a stopgap amp just because something is needed immediately, but that’s just me. I have seen, it pays off to wait and save for the ultimate stuff than buying something cheaper and upgrading later. Lots of hassle and also not financially efficient.

BTW, 6xx sounds good from the headphone out of the MacBook Pro. The resolution or the deep bass is not there, but I like the tonality.

MacBook Pros have very good DACs from Cirrus Logic/Wolfson (depending on the year of purchase, they are now the same company) that have nothing to envy to most outboard DACs. The problem lies in the op amps in the MacBook Pros, which are nevertheless good components, better than most PCs, but are not optimized for high impedance loads. Voltage (which is maxed out at 1.2V if I recall) is therefore insufficient to drive the Senns at more than moderate volume. But they will play relatively well at moderate volumes unamped, because the Senns have a good sensibility level (dB per mw). So yes an outboard Amp will do better sound, but it is still possible to drive the Senns directly from a MacBook Pro with relatively good sound quality in my opinion.

Jun 13, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #3,950 of 4,141
I’d also suggest just listening with what you have now. You can even get listenable volume out of a phone. That will let you you get used to the sound of the headphone and figure out what type of amp / DAC you may want.

The two big issues you will have with onboard sound are how much voltage it puts out and noise. While the HD6xx is relatively efficient (volume alone may not be a problem) it is a high impedance headphone (with some significant spikes in impedence) and it needs a good amount of voltage to provide a full dynamic range. An appropriate amp will help here if needed.

As others have mentioned most electronics actually have decent DACs in them. The bigger issue is interference from other components that introduces noise. If you notice noise from your source, you’ll probably benefit more from a DAC initially (you’ll just need one with a headphone out unless you want to buy an amp as well).

Personally, I’d try it with what you got first. Listen for a little while and evaluate what if anything you need next. Then you can make an informed decision about an amp or DAC purchase.

Jun 13, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #3,951 of 4,141
MacBook Pros have very good DACs from Cirrus Logic/Wolfson (depending on the year of purchase, they are now the same company) that have nothing to envy to most outboard DACs. The problem lies in the op amps in the MacBook Pros, which are nevertheless good components, better than most PCs, but are not optimized for high impedance loads. Voltage (which is maxed out at 1.2V if I recall) is therefore insufficient to drive the Senns at more than moderate volume. But they will play relatively well at moderate volumes unamped, because the Senns have a good sensibility level (dB per mw). So yes an outboard Amp will do better sound, but it is still possible to drive the Senns directly from a MacBook Pro with relatively good sound quality in my opinion.

Thanks for the information. I have enjoyed listening to the Sennheiers through the Macbook Pro, better than through the iPhone for sure, even compared to certain portable amps. The specs according to this link says, the maximum output voltage is 2 VRMS, although it's not clear how the specs have changed in recent years.

Its a good thing that, if I am working on my laptop, I can plug in the 6xx directly without any DAC/amp combo and still get workably good music for background listening, ambience.

Jun 13, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #3,952 of 4,141
Thanks for your advice!

Hmm, well, I could not get to enjoy my HD6xx as a whole through the Mimby/Magni 3 combo, it simply couldn't match the fantastic results I get with the HD540 Ref1s, other than having some finer detailing, but as a whole it doesn't come close. Other folks love the HD6xx with their M3 or M3/Mimby. Since I have been running in my new audio-gd R2R-11 for a couple of weeks, the HD6xx sound much better through this amp and I can recommend it, you get an excellent DAC/amp/preamp combo all in one, no more to buy :) Even though it has less overall power than the Magni 3, the design seems to be a better match and has more than enough power for the HD6xx, even on low gain.

Jul 23, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #3,953 of 4,141
Legendary headphone I got mine for only $170 shipped thanks to the headfi trade and sale section. The only thing I think this headphone doesn't do right is the energy, a bit inoffensive and the midrange is flavored toward sweet. I am surprised by the details. It puts the music in focus with ease. The bass is flat. Just the right amount. Comfortable. Clamp force is perfect. Lightweight.

Jul 30, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #3,954 of 4,141
Anyone can recommend me a cable for HD6XX with 4.4 plug without changing the sound signature?

Aug 17, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #3,956 of 4,141
Another drop has opened! I think I'm going to pull the trigger. Something about the 650 draws me in, and I'd like to set up a modest home setup. The only other headphone I'm using right now is the B&O H6 2nd Gen and they're great, but I've never owned an open headphone and the 650 is one I've always been interested in. Would the Magni 3 be enough if I'm running it off a MacBook?

Aug 17, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #3,959 of 4,141
Probably. That good taste is all I need for now though, want to keep the costs low :)
If you can afford it I suggest getting the Burson Play, probably used. Sometimes it pops up on the sale forum. In the same price range there’s the Aune X1S which is also quite good but I think the Burson does better. Also another acceptable choice is the Xduoo which costs like $60 more than the Magni. The amp unit is not as good but I did like the DAC a lot.
Anyway as you already have an amp I think it’s worth going for a good DAC first. Personally I’d recommend the ODAC.

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #3,960 of 4,141
If you can afford it I suggest getting the Burson Play, probably used. Sometimes it pops up on the sale forum. In the same price range there’s the Aune X1S which is also quite good but I think the Burson does better. Also another acceptable choice is the Xduoo which costs like $60 more than the Magni. The amp unit is not as good but I did like the DAC a lot.
Anyway as you already have an amp I think it’s worth going for a good DAC first. Personally I’d recommend the ODAC.
Would my Mac work as a DAC? I thought the Mac had a DAC that was good enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back