Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Apr 19, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #3,886 of 4,141
I think you like the HD6xx, it's just that the HD540 ruins everything else for you haha
And now the HD250 Linear 1s are doing the same thing! :) And I'm loving it!

Apr 19, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #3,887 of 4,141
They are supposedly identical and I too have definitely NO veiling on my HD6xx! In fact they seem almost, but not quite, 'brighter' than I remember from my HD650s 7 years ago.

Exactly my finding. My 650 were from 8 years ago, which I sold because I found them too dark. The 6XX seems like a happy middle between my 600 and 650, such that I eventually sold my 600 too!

Apr 19, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #3,888 of 4,141
Huh, I do wonder what the difference may really be from supposedly identical headphones. The only possible things I can think of are that the density of the pads is different, the foam driver covers are of different density or the cable being shorter (probably unlikely). Anyhoo, it's just getting picky, eh? :) They are what they are and we either enjoy them or not. I've really enjoyed mine with Lucinda Williams and Neil Young's Sleeps With Angels! I'd like to try some Dekoni pads - working on that - and they work a treat with the Mogami cable, more balanced overall. The stock cables seem 'brighter' and have more of a central s/stage peak where things are sometimes a bit jammed up, yet those same cables are fantastic with the HD250 Linear 1s. So I swapped 'em :)
I like the HD6xx, not my faves but worth keeping.

Apr 20, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #3,889 of 4,141
Exactly my finding. My 650 were from 8 years ago, which I sold because I found them too dark. The 6XX seems like a happy middle between my 600 and 650, such that I eventually sold my 600 too!

You guys do realize that it is way more likely your tastes in headphone sound signature, your equipment you use to play them has changed, and/or even your hearing has changed than it is you are accurately remembering how the 650 sounds from many years back in comparison to the HD6XX. As Jude has said, "They do sound the same, and those measurements certainly support that."
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-x-massdrop-hd6xx-review-preview-head-fi-tv.824703/

Apr 20, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #3,890 of 4,141
You guys do realize that it is way more likely your tastes in headphone sound signature, your equipment you use to play them has changed, and/or even your hearing has changed than it is you are accurately remembering how the 650 sounds from many years back in comparison to the HD6XX. As Jude has said, "They do sound the same, and those measurements certainly support that."
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-x-massdrop-hd6xx-review-preview-head-fi-tv.824703/

While that may be true I compared both my HD650 and HD6XX when the HD6XX arrived back in December and I heard a difference with the HD6XX being slightly brighter in the high frequency than the HD650. I even swapped ear pads to make sure that they weren't factoring into what I was hearing. Even with the worn pads from my HD650 on the HD6XX the HD6XX were still audibly brighter. Mind you 4 months later I have noticed that the HD6XX's high frequency has mildly tamed down (not as sizzly sounding) compared to when I received them back in December but you can still hear a difference between them.

Apr 20, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #3,891 of 4,141
While that may be true I compared both my HD650 and HD6XX when the HD6XX arrived back in December and I heard a difference with the HD6XX being slightly brighter in the high frequency than the HD650. I even swapped ear pads to make sure that they weren't factoring into what I was hearing. Even with the worn pads from my HD650 on the HD6XX the HD6XX were still audibly brighter. Mind you 4 months later I have noticed that the HD6XX's high frequency has mildly tamed down (not as sizzly sounding) compared to when I received them back in December but you can still hear a difference between them.

Well, as I pointed out, Jude says they sound (and measure) the same. And then Tyll at Innerfidelity says that they measure the same. So if it were me, I'd look for another explanation when it comes to what you are hearing.

Apr 20, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #3,892 of 4,141
Well, as I pointed out, Jude says they sound (and measure) the same. And then Tyll at Innerfidelity says that they measure the same. So if it were me, I'd look for another explanation when it comes to what you are hearing.

It has been reported by many that there have been changes to the HD650 drivers since the first versions were produced in 2003. If you compare an early version of The HD650 and the HD6XX, then it’s understandable that some may hear sound differences, mostly regarding the brightness and the Veil issues. The newer HD650 should however be identical sounding to the HD6XX, as they use the exact same enclosures, pads, cups and drivers. But there has been a few modifications to the HD650 over the years since the beginning. As a matter of fact, the current HD650 drivers are not the same colour as the earlier versions of the HD650. This may explain why some people have reported sound differences between the HD6xx (and as with the newer versions of the HD650) compared to earlier versions of the HD650.

Apr 23, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #3,898 of 4,141
Magni 3 + cheap dac

It would be hard to guess which you'd like the sound of better, since it's all very personal. I can't comment directly on the M1060 for comfort or sound, but in terms of value I would personally would go with the 6XX. The 6XX shares parts and accessories with the 580/600/650 series, so you know they are well built, will last you a long time, and you'll be able to find replacement parts easily. I like Monoprice in general, but their long term commitment to headphones is unclear.

The HD6XX should do well with Radiohead and Queen as both groups have strong vocalists and I find the HD6xx series is strong in that area. That being said, if you are looking for rock oriented headphones you might want to consider some other options.

Apr 23, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #3,899 of 4,141
It would be hard to guess which you'd like the sound of better, since it's all very personal. I can't comment directly on the M1060 for comfort or sound, but in terms of value I would personally would go with the 6XX. The 6XX shares parts and accessories with the 580/600/650 series, so you know they are well built, will last you a long time, and you'll be able to find replacement parts easily. I like Monoprice in general, but their long term commitment to headphones is unclear.

The HD6XX should do well with Radiohead and Queen as both groups have strong vocalists and I find the HD6xx series is strong in that area. That being said, if you are looking for rock oriented headphones you might want to consider some other options.

Thanks! I think I will get HD6XX, because I really like vocals, plus used HD6XXs always sell for more than $200 making it a great investment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back