Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jan 22, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #3,796 of 4,141
Hi There,

I have sr60's and looking at the hd6xx as an upgrade I am starting to find my 60s a tiny bit harsh at the top too, what are your thoughts of transitioning from grado to the 6xx?
You will be going from one of the brightest popular headphones to a fairly warm headphone. Initially you likely will not like it. Also, the Grado is very easy to drive. The 6xx benefits from better upstream gear. If you really like the Grado sound, but want is a little less bright/harsh, I recommend a 225x or RS2e. You also might like beyerdynaic.

Obviously you might like the 6xx, but it will be quite a swing for you.

Jan 22, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #3,797 of 4,141
You will be going from one of the brightest popular headphones to a fairly warm headphone. Initially you likely will not like it. Also, the Grado is very easy to drive. The 6xx benefits from better upstream gear. If you really like the Grado sound, but want is a little less bright/harsh, I recommend a 225x or RS2e. You also might like beyerdynaic.

Yeah I was originally thinking 225 - see my original post (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/recommend-headphone-for-home-office.870224/). Essentially looking for something a little more relaxing, comfortable, with clarity, warmth and detail. - for literally all day listening.

Jan 22, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #3,798 of 4,141
Yeah I was originally thinking 225 - see my original post (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/recommend-headphone-for-home-office.870224/). Essentially looking for something a little more relaxing, comfortable, with clarity, warmth and detail. - for literally all day listening.
The HD6xx might/will feel like it has quite a clamp compared to the SR60, but after a while, you get used to it. It is certainly more relaxed and less fatiguing than the Grado. You really should try some beyerdynamics if you like Grado. A DT990 or even a DTX350 might be good for you to try.

Jan 22, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #3,799 of 4,141
Hi There,

I have sr60's and looking at the hd6xx as an upgrade I am starting to find my 60s a tiny bit harsh at the top too, what are your thoughts of transitioning from grado to the 6xx?

I have both, and the HD6xx is a definitely a better headphone all around and more comfortable even with the clamp. I enjoy them both for their own purposes, but if I had to choose one it would be the 6xx (even without an amp).

If you like the Grado's I would also recommend the Philips SHP9500. They are closer to the Grado sound signature than the Sennheiser and to me they are superior headphone in both comfort and sound to both the Grado SR60/80. The best part is they regularly go on sale for $50 at NewEgg. If you are set on Sennheiser, I would also consider looking at the HD58x. I prefer the HD 580 to the 650/6xx since it's more comfortable (less clamp) and not quite as warm. So, if they actually sound like the old HD 580 they'd be a good buy and easier to drive than the 600/650/6xx.

Jan 23, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #3,800 of 4,141
Hi There,

If you like the Grado sound I don’t know if you would like the HD6xx. I appreciate them, but they sound too boring and warm to my tastes with most of the music I listen to. If your tastes can tolerate the drop in top end detail go for it. If not look into the suggestions from the other posters, or try moving up the Grado line up.

Jan 29, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #3,801 of 4,141
Is anyone using Sonarworks True-fi out there with their HD6xx?
There's a 10 day trial that certainly worth a try. It seems to add a little separation and width for me, as well as filling out the low bass. Only 2 days into the trial but I definitely prefer them when True-fi is switched on...now I have to do more testing to find out if I'm imagining it :dt880smile:

Feb 3, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #3,802 of 4,141
Is anyone using Sonarworks True-fi out there with their HD6xx?
There's a 10 day trial that certainly worth a try. It seems to add a little separation and width for me, as well as filling out the low bass. Only 2 days into the trial but I definitely prefer them when True-fi is switched on...now I have to do more testing to find out if I'm imagining it :dt880smile:

Used her when it came out..and bought her after my 50 day beta trial. When I used her on Sennheiser HD600/HD650, there was a slight noticeable improvement but way more with my Sennheiser HD800 and now with my Sony MDR-Z7 on the laptop

Currently using their Reference on my desktop which I bought before True-Fi - this has 21 day trial (current update Reference 4 is a hugh improvement from last summer)

https://www.sonarworks.com/reference

There is also a beta Android app, but I only played with her last year under another name. It does not run Hi-res flac when I tried.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.soundigo&hl=en

and the link to the True-Fi
https://www.sonarworks.com/truefi

Feb 4, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #3,803 of 4,141
Used her when it came out..and bought her after my 50 day beta trial. When I used her on Sennheiser HD600/HD650, there was a slight noticeable improvement but way more with my Sennheiser HD800 and now with my Sony MDR-Z7 on the laptop

Currently using their Reference on my desktop which I bought before True-Fi - this has 21 day trial (current update Reference 4 is a hugh improvement from last summer)

https://www.sonarworks.com/reference

There is also a beta Android app, but I only played with her last year under another name. It does not run Hi-res flac when I tried.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.soundigo&hl=en

and the link to the True-Fi
https://www.sonarworks.com/truefi

Thanks for that. I've decided I'm not imagining it, so at some point soon will purchase the software. Separation, low bass and imaging are all improved. I love these headphones!

Now...I currently have the Grace Design m9xx from Massdrop. Can anyone recommend an amp to use with these for around the $500 mark? I was toying with the idea of a Jotenhiem and the running them balanced.
Any others I should think of?

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #3,804 of 4,141

After a while listening to both, I've decided that I prefer the Grados to the 6XX - more lively sound and more comfortable. I'll be selling the 6XX to get a closed set to complement the Grados, but I'm glad I got to hear such a well-regarded headphone.

Feb 8, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #3,805 of 4,141
After a while listening to both, I've decided that I prefer the Grados to the 6XX - more lively sound and more comfortable. I'll be selling the 6XX to get a closed set to complement the Grados, but I'm glad I got to hear such a well-regarded headphone.

I am in the same boat as you, except that I have not made an absolute decision. I will wait until April.

So far, IMO, SR325e > HD6XX. I was also jacked about trying one of the all times fav's. Turns out it does nothing special for me. To each their own.

Shane D

Feb 8, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #3,806 of 4,141
The HD650 has two things that call make it better. There are a number of modifications that can be made. If you google the "HD650 KISS mod", you get one of the most popular mods. The second thing the HD650 (and thus the HD6xx) has going for it, is that is scales very well. This is sort of a euphemism for "sounds OK with low-end gear, but really sounds much better with high end gear". The Grado's are designed to be less demanding, so they get to their potential faster -- they don't need such high end gear.

of course tastes very, and the Grado's appeal to many. To others they are fatiguing, and the HD6xx/HD650 is the opposite of fatiguing, but is less lively.

The mod helps, but it will not turn the HD650 into a grado.

Feb 8, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #3,807 of 4,141
I bought an amp for just one reason: to drive the famous Senns. Does it improve the sound? Yes, I think so. I tested the HD650 in the past and felt they were unusable without help.

For some people, they are magic. For others, they are not.
I do not regret buying them, but when you factor in the amp, it was a large expenditure. Large for me anyway.
Part of exploring and I will certainly be doing it again. I think my next tryout will be the M1060's.
I will lose money on some and hopefully find a few hidden gems (Meze Classics FTW).

Shane D

Feb 8, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #3,808 of 4,141
I bought an amp for just one reason: to drive the famous Senns. Does it improve the sound? Yes, I think so. I tested the HD650 in the past and felt they were unusable without help.

For some people, they are magic. For others, they are not.
I do not regret buying them, but when you factor in the amp, it was a large expenditure. Large for me anyway.
Part of exploring and I will certainly be doing it again. I think my next tryout will be the M1060's.
I will lose money on some and hopefully find a few hidden gems (Meze Classics FTW).

Shane D

Shane, seems like we are in very similar boats. I got a Pico Power for the 6XX, one of the only portable amps that has enough current to do it justice. Turns out it's just not as good for the rock and metal I listen to the most.
As far as Grados go, to me there was an audible difference between the 225i and 225e - the e series really takes away that fatiguing quality and adds some good quality bass.

Feb 9, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #3,809 of 4,141
Thst is why I am holding off on making a final decision. If I sell them off, do I also sell the amp? That is about $750.00 in purchases and I will lose a few hundred bucks when I sell. I am still trying the phones and trying the amp more with the other phones to see if it is adding to my life, or if it should go away with the Senns.

Shane D

Feb 9, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #3,810 of 4,141
I have been thoroughly enjoying my HD6xx. Using with a dragonfly black and couldn't be happier. I also have a Centrace Dacmini and will soon spend some time with it and the HD6xx's. Wow these are a great value. With the dragonfly, MacBook, and some lossless I think it's one of the best setups value wise, but that's just my opinion. Still wish I had my LCD2's to do a back to back but oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back