Recommend Headphone for Home office
Jan 19, 2018 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

withoutink

New Head-Fier
Looking for a set of headphones to replace my Grado sr60’s.

Budget:
$200 or so tops

Requirements:
Work well with a modmic 5, nice soundstage with positional awareness, not too much base. Comfortable for all day use. Clarity. A joy to use.

Usage:
I work from home and I use my sr60’s all day, listening to Spotify and taking voip calls for work, hence the requirement to work with my modmic. I’m not a high end audiophile, but I enjoy quality experiences. I’m not looking to spend money just to spend money. Rather I want something that will bring me joy as I listen to Spotify or my iTunes library while I soldier on through work. If the cans need a few slight mods to work well, I’m ok with that. So long as in the end I don’t want to rip them from my head after 8-12hr days. Figure I got use to the Grado’s (with Better pads). Since I work at home 100% of the time, I have no need for noise cancellation... so they can be open or closed, I just don't want them to be hot since I wear them all day.

What I was considering;
Second set of upgraded Grado’s (sr80, sr225) or maybe Foster t50rp 3’s. That’s about what I’ve looked at so far.

My equipment:
I use an iMac, which splits from the audio port, I have a modmic in the mic split. And then I split from audio to a xenyx 802 mixer. When I output to my headphones and soon a set of desktop speakers for when I’m not chained to my home office desk. If needed I can toss in a small headphone amp too (but I would need to buy one).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 16
Beyerdynamic DT880 32 ohm

Jan 19, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 16
I use the hd600 in my home office. Hd6xx?

Jan 19, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #4 of 16

OP has no amp,so both HD600 and HD650 are out,not to mention the clamp is pretty tight on both models,and he doesnt want extra bass(HD650) and wants a wide sound stage.

I like both of your suggestions,but they do not meet OPs needs on several aspects.

Jan 19, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #5 of 16
OP has no amp,so both HD600 and HD650 are out,not to mention the clamp is pretty tight on both models,and he doesnt want extra bass(HD650) and wants a wide sound stage.

I like both of your suggestions,but they do not meet OPs needs on several aspects.
Fair point mate... saw "home office" and got excited!

Jan 19, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 16
You might consider an SHP9500 and see what you think. It meets several of your requirements and sounds solid (and is within budget). Maybe read about it and see what you think. It is possible it could work for you.

Jan 19, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #7 of 16
Have had a bit of a think. In my office (not home) i use the kef m500. Lovely, forward mids and they look great to boot! Saw on massdrop recently too sub $200. Ive never had them feel hot and they sound great amped and non. I sometimes wear them 10+ hours and find v comfy.

Jan 20, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #8 of 16
For what it's worth I use the ATH-R70x in the Antlion office. I don't know that they're the best for gaming, but they ARE one of the most comfortable, and since I spend all day wearing them that is my #1 priority.

Jan 21, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #9 of 16

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies, I just read some review on the hd600/650/6xx and they seem to be mostly universally applauded - with some people thinking they are 'veiled' - assuming this means muted?. Everyone seems to rave about the MassDrop version, as they say they are essentially an hd650 rebranded with some visual tweaks.

I like that they are open, as If I need to have a conversation with someone that walks into my home office, I don't need to rip my cans off my head - one thing I do really like about my Grado's...

I think I would be ok with trying these cans based on what I have seen on Youtube and read on reviews.

If I were to get an amp, which really wasn't something I had planned on, but am willing to do. I was looking at the O2/Odac from Mayflower, would that work well with the 6xx?

What would you say are the biggest differences between Grads and the Senns? I read so many things, many of which contradicted others — I think I overloaded my brain :wink:

Jan 21, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #10 of 16
Can't comment on the o2 as have never heard it but it is quite popular on this forum. Schiit magni/vali 2 also worth a thought.

Re/the clamp on 600s it is v tight, but you can bend it out quite easily. I found it too tight with glasses on too.

On sound, haven't heard those grads so can't compare. The 600s are warm, detailed and spacious. They are the best pair of cans I've ever owned.

Jan 21, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #11 of 16
What would you say are the biggest differences between Grads and the Senns? I read so many things, many of which contradicted others — I think I overloaded my brain :wink:

Because this hobby can be very subjective its easy to get info overload.

Biggest differences between the Grados and HD6 series is the energy up top.If youre used to and enjoy the added energy of the Grados you might find the Senns to be laidback,perhaps boring. In your original post you mentioned you didnt want emphasised bass,so I wouldnt recommend the HD650/HD6xx.Further although a solid state amp will work,the HD6xx sounds its best from an OTL amp...most of the rave reviews are coming from people like myself who run theirs thru a tube amp.

I still think given your criteria set forth in the original post the DT880 32 ohm is your best bet. It doesnt need an amp.It is supremely comfortable.It doesnt have added bass.It is semi-open.It has energy up top similar to Grados.

Jan 21, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #12 of 16
Have been cobsidering a pair of dt880s or 325es for a while now. Havent heard either yet so will be givong them an audition soon but there is a big price difference (at least here in the uk) which makes the 880s more attractive if the sound is v similar!

Jan 21, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #13 of 16
Have been cobsidering a pair of dt880s or 325es for a while now. Havent heard either yet so will be givong them an audition soon but there is a big price difference (at least here in the uk) which makes the 880s more attractive if the sound is v similar!

Do they sell the Alessandro Ms2 in the UK? Many countries carry Alessandros,which are made by Grado with slightly different tuning,instead of or much cheaper than the Grados.

Jan 21, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #14 of 16
Do they sell the Alessandro Ms2 in the UK? Many countries carry Alessandros,which are made by Grado with slightly different tuning,instead of or much cheaper than the Grados.
Sadly not... at least not the ms2 from a quick googlage :frowning2:

Jan 22, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #15 of 16
Because this hobby can be very subjective its easy to get info overload.

Biggest differences between the Grados and HD6 series is the energy up top.If youre used to and enjoy the added energy of the Grados you might find the Senns to be laidback,perhaps boring. In your original post you mentioned you didnt want emphasised bass,so I wouldnt recommend the HD650/HD6xx.Further although a solid state amp will work,the HD6xx sounds its best from an OTL amp...most of the rave reviews are coming from people like myself who run theirs thru a tube amp.

I still think given your criteria set forth in the original post the DT880 32 ohm is your best bet. It doesnt need an amp.It is supremely comfortable.It doesnt have added bass.It is semi-open.It has energy up top similar to Grados.

Thanks, I am taking a look at reviews for the 880s now. This is so difficult, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back