Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 20, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #2,206 of 4,141

My opinion is as follows is as follows.  (others will probably disagree)

There are two reasons to "upgrade" your cables for these headphones.

1.)  You have a balanced amp and you want a balanced headphone connection (so you need a balanced cable)

2.)  You want prettier cables, with fancy sleeving, etc.

If you are staying single ended (the opposite of balanced), no cable in the world is going to improve the sound quality over the stock single ended cable.  

If you want to go balanced though, there is a subtle improvement in sound on a balanced amp.

Currently I have one DAC/amp with a balanced output, which is the GeekOut V2 Infinity +.  I have both the SE and balanced Monk +, and the balanced definitely sounds better.  That being said, a number of people on these forums have said that the balanced output on the GO sounds better because it has more gain, so the jury is still out for me regarding whether there is a big benefit to balanced.  The other caveat is the SE output of the GO is not driving the Senn/Massdrop cans well:  I have to use the highest of the 3 gain settings, and set the source volume to 60-70% on a laptop with Foobar and an iPhone 6s with CCK.  I would like a balanced cable to try it, but won't buy one to pair with the GOs 3.5 mm connector.

What are you plugging the 6XXs into?  If you don't have a quality source/amp, the money you might spend on cables would be far better spent there.

Husband and I are going to CanJam NYC in Feb, and my goal is to find a good desktop DAC and amp, or a combo.  At this point, I have a collection of cans that I am happy with - for now
evil_smiley.gif
- and have gotten to the point that if I spend more $ on more expensive cans, I'm not sure that I'll hear much of a difference unless I upgrade the front end.  I love the Mojo and have a few other DAC/amps, but they are all portable....... I'm taking CanJam real seriously,
smily_headphones1.gif
and hope to find something nice (but not divorce-inducing expensive) with a 4 pin XLR to pair with the HD6xxs, and a couple other cans I have with detachable cables.

So the answer is I don't know yet, but really appreciate any suggestions on cables and source gear.  These forums are a great resource!

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #2,207 of 4,141
+1.
And seeing the build quality issues of HD6XX thus far, you bet there will be more things falling apart throughout these 5000 phones' lifespan.

Have there been many quality issues? I have heard of one rattling driver, one dead driver and one bad earpad. Doesn't seem to be a huge QC issue given the number of them they shipped and produced at one time.

But then again I don't read the Massdrop forums as they are a joke to navigate.

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #2,208 of 4,141
  +1.

It is kind of amusing to watch such people trying to sell a $200 pair for over $550, $700 and $1000. Amusingly pitiful behavior to say the least. If I wanted an HD650 I could get it for $314 with 2 yr warranty. Warranty is non-transferable once you buy it from other person. And seeing the build quality issues of HD6XX thus far, you bet there will be more things falling apart throughout these 5000 phones' lifespan.

Stupid people. They are not smart enough to realzie that they are selling the HD6xx for more than the HD 650 can be bought for new with full warranty. The HD6xx have no warranty once sold.

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #2,209 of 4,141
People can do whatever they want with their HD6XX. Flip it or what. It is up to the buyer's intellect.

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #2,210 of 4,141
Currently I have one DAC/amp with a balanced output, which is the GeekOut V2 Infinity +.  I have both the SE and balanced Monk +, and the balanced definitely sounds better.  That being said, a number of people on these forums have said that the balanced output on the GO sounds better because it has more gain, so the jury is still out for me regarding whether there is a big benefit to balanced.  The other caveat is the SE output of the GO is not driving the Senn/Massdrop cans well:  I have to use the highest of the 3 gain settings, and set the source volume to 60-70% on a laptop with Foobar and an iPhone 6s with CCK.  I would like a balanced cable to try it, but won't buy one to pair with the GOs 3.5 mm connector.

Husband and I are going to CanJam NYC in Feb, and my goal is to find a good desktop DAC and amp, or a combo.  At this point, I have a collection of cans that I am happy with - for now :evil: - and have gotten to the point that if I spend more $ on more expensive cans, I'm not sure that I'll hear much of a difference unless I upgrade the front end.  I love the Mojo and have a few other DAC/amps, but they are all portable....... I'm taking CanJam real seriously, :) and hope to find something nice (but not divorce-inducing expensive) with a 4 pin XLR to pair with the HD6xxs, and a couple other cans I have with detachable cables.

So the answer is I don't know yet, but really appreciate any suggestions on cables and source gear.  These forums are a great resource!
You should have the Windows volume maxed out and adjust volume with the GO to desired level. I have found that gives you the most dynamic presentation. Its not going to add distortion if that is what your worried about it is just upping the line level. If you haven't been to a CanJam before be prepared to get you headphone geek on. You have to go both days for sure there is so much stuff to listen to. Whatever else you do make sure you go to the Cavalli booth and listen to the Liquid Tungsten it is the best thing I have ever heard the Liquid Spark is also very good too can't wait till it goes on sale. Warren is a super nice guy also.

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #2,211 of 4,141

Husband and I are going to CanJam NYC in Feb, and my goal is to find a good desktop DAC and amp, or a combo.  At this point, I have a collection of cans that I am happy with - for now
evil_smiley.gif
- and have gotten to the point that if I spend more $ on more expensive cans, I'm not sure that I'll hear much of a difference unless I upgrade the front end.  I love the Mojo and have a few other DAC/amps, but they are all portable....... I'm taking CanJam real seriously,
smily_headphones1.gif
and hope to find something nice (but not divorce-inducing expensive) with a 4 pin XLR to pair with the HD6xxs, and a couple other cans I have with detachable cables.

A lot of people really favor OTL tube amps with the HD650, many of which are single ended.  It might be that your dream setup will be single ended, and you won't even need a balanced cable.  Balanced doesn't equate to "better", although amps that are specifically designed to work balanced will usually function better balanced than single ended.  I haven't heard the geek out, but I know it is well regarded on head-fi.  It is good that you have a strong baseline to compare to for canjam.  I am hoping to get there for the first time this year as well to hear things I wouldn't otherwise be able to hear.

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #2,212 of 4,141

Husband and I are going to CanJam NYC in Feb, and my goal is to find a good desktop DAC and amp, or a combo.  At this point, I have a collection of cans that I am happy with - for now :evil: - and have gotten to the point that if I spend more $ on more expensive cans, I'm not sure that I'll hear much of a difference unless I upgrade the front end.  I love the Mojo and have a few other DAC/amps, but they are all portable....... I'm taking CanJam real seriously, :) and hope to find something nice (but not divorce-inducing expensive) with a 4 pin XLR to pair with the HD6xxs, and a couple other cans I have with detachable cables.

been there done that. Put all the funds you'd spend on the hd800's etc into a nice system. Something like a gumby multibit, and I'd suggest a tube amp. Solid state amps that sound really good are few an far in between and expensive. The 650 is the most engaging phone out there.

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #2,213 of 4,141
People can do whatever they want with their HD6XX. Flip it or what. It is up to the buyer's intellect.

And those people flipping on eBay for a profit should never be allowed to buy any audio gear every again. Given the number of people who were unable to get in on the drop who did want the HD6xx, these sleazy people should be banned from the internet. So no more buying from Massdrop and no more selling on eBay.

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #2,214 of 4,141
And those people flipping on eBay for a profit should never be allowed to buy any audio gear every again. Given the number of people who were unable to get in on the drop who did want the HD6xx, these sleazy people should be banned from the internet. So no more buying from Massdrop and no more selling on eBay.
i guess you are just jealous maybe you couldnt get a set yourself? people are free to do what they want.
For me, i am going to keep my hd6xx for personal use

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #2,215 of 4,141
You should have the Windows volume maxed out and adjust volume with the GO to desired level. I have found that gives you the most dynamic presentation. Its not going to add distortion if that is what your worried about it is just upping the line level. If you haven't been to a CanJam before be prepared to get you headphone geek on. You have to go both days for sure there is so much stuff to listen to. Whatever else you do make sure you go to the Cavalli booth and listen to the Liquid Tungsten it is the best thing I have ever heard the Liquid Spark is also very good too can't wait till it goes on sale. Warren is a super nice guy also.

Sadly, this version doesn't have an adjustable volume output, the volume has to be adjusted at the source.  I pledged on Indiegogo and it was the first DAC/amp I bought........... had I known then what I know now (keeping in mind that it was a good long time between my pledge and when I received the GO), the lack of volume control would have been a deal breaker and I would not have bought it.

I live in NJ, so have bought tickets for both days and reserved a hotel room at the hosting venue.  Just got approval for the Monday off to unwind after the excitement. 
basshead.gif
  Thanks for the tips!  I am sure it will be overwhelming as a first timer, but I am really looking forward to it...... this is the first time I have been motivated enough by something to leave my 3 dogs overnight, so the husband is onboard.
beerchug.gif

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #2,216 of 4,141

Honestly, for the price they're going for on ebay you might as well pick up some 650's! The 650 is only $15 more on amazon than the cheapest 6XX on ebay.

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #2,217 of 4,141
So a side effect of ordering from Massdrop appears to be them selling their customer list.

I just got an odd flier in the mail with ads from four different audiophile companies in it:

- Rutherford Audio / Thorens  Turn tables
- Schiit Audio
- Q Acoustics
- Grado

Either that, or Schiit is selling their customer list, which sounds unlike them.

I've never received audiophile ads before, and in the last couple of months I've only ordered from Schiit and Massdrop.

I don't like being marketed to.   Usually receiving marketing materials makes me defiant and determined NOT to buy from the company marketing to me.   Everything I shop for, I shop for on MY terms, by exhaustively doing independent research and then deciding.   If a company approaches me, I usually go to their competitors just to spite them :p

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #2,218 of 4,141
  So a side effect of ordering from Massdrop appears to be them selling their customer list.

I just got an odd flier in the mail with ads from four different audiophile companies in it:

- Schiit Audi0
- Q Acoustics
- Grado

Either that, or Schiit is selling their customer list, which sounds unlike them.

I've never received audiophile ads before, and in the last couple of months I've only ordered from Schiit and Massdrop.

I don't like being marketed to.   Usually receiving marketing materials makes me defiant and determined NOT to buy from the company marketing to me.   Everything I shop for, I shop for on MY terms, by exhaustively doing independent research and then deciding.   If a company approaches me, I usually go to their competitors just to spite them :p

Strange, I have been ordering from Massdrop for several years, and have never gotten any apparent marketing junk mail from audio or other MD communities.  That's not to say it couldn't be from them ...

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #2,219 of 4,141

- Schiit Audi0
- Q Acoustics
- Grado

I have been getting audio ads in mail too last month or two, really annoying, no idea how I got in those mailing lists... its schiit or massdrop though because I have not shipped with anyone else regarding audio stuff, well amazon rarely i guess 

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #2,220 of 4,141
been there done that. Put all the funds you'd spend on the hd800's etc into a nice system. Something like a gumby multibit, and I'd suggest a tube amp. Solid state amps that sound really good are few an far in between and expensive. The 650 is the most engaging phone out there.

Through reading these forums and buying a few things, I have managed to get on a few mailing lists for catalogs.  I love looking at the pictures of the tube amps, but I have 2 concerns:
1) Tube amps seem to be taking this hobby/obsession to a new level........ I feel like I barely have time to tip roll, let alone tube roll! 
confused_face_2.gif

2) Husband and I are clumsy, and we have 3 dogs, including a Berner with a coffee-table-clearing tail wag.  Basically, we break a lot of dollar store wine glasses in this house, so I don't know if a tube amp is practical?  I have seen some in casings with the tubes enclosed, but they are more expensive than an open design.

Not saying I am opposed, just trying to not push my already angelically understanding husband. 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back