Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 21, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #2,236 of 4,141
Eep, yeah I can't process my thoughts on these. They're so tame and well-behaved, but there's no detail or sparkle. It's not just the recessed treble, everything seems processed through a blur, veiled as if passed through felt. The sound is so round and balanced, but you lose the detail and edge.

I prefer the sound signature of the DT1350 and dramatically prefer the Stax for good recordings, but they destroy bad recordings. Even my TripleFi 10 IEMS are far faster. That's sort of the best of all worlds so far.

Everything is clear. It's not quite like sitting in the farthest seat of the venue, in that everything is articulate. But it's similar in that everything is rounded and soft and not raw and immediate. It's a polite polished version of bad seats. I prefer the pit.

These are headphones for listening politely to recordings. Not for feeling close to the music. Bleh. They aren't bad, but I disagree that they're equally fast as the Stax Lambdas. I think they're slower than the DT1350s and IEMS, though fast for dynamics I guess. Preference aside (and I do see the strength with both) these are not as fast or resolving. I have to admit it after a lot of careful listening.

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #2,237 of 4,141
HD650s are old school audiophile headphones. They sound romantic, lush, soft. They are meant to enjoy music. Modern audiophiles don't want musical enjoyment alone, they want technical performance as well. HD800 S gives you that. It is more energetic and doesn't make the music sound romantic if it's not. HD700 also does that but I don't recommend it due to treble peaks.

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #2,238 of 4,141
  HD650s are old school audiophile headphones. They sound romantic, lush, soft. They are meant to enjoy music. Modern audiophiles don't want musical enjoyment alone, they want technical performance as well. HD800 S gives you that. It is more energetic and doesn't make the music sound romantic if it's not. HD700 also does that but I don't recommend it due to treble peaks.

Why does the DT1350, an over-the-ear low impedance monitor... worst case scenario... sound better in every way except that it's closed and has less impression of soundstage. I can't understand how these are hi fi, even through a high end DAC. They are better than the HD598 but nowhere near the Stax. How can they be as fast as the Stax and yet this veiled.

Dec 21, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #2,239 of 4,141

Why does the DT1350, an over-the-ear low impedance monitor... worst case scenario... sound better in every way except that it's closed and has less impression of soundstage. I can't understand how these are hi fi, even through a high end DAC. They are better than the HD598 but nowhere near the Stax. How can they be as fast as the Stax and yet this veiled.

What is your amp? HD650 scales a lot with better amps. That said, it could never reach the SQ of HD800 S. I haven't heard DT1350 before so I can't comment on that.

Dec 21, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #2,240 of 4,141
Delivery date bumped from friday to thursday! :D

Can't wait!

Dec 21, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #2,243 of 4,141
anyone have a comparison of HD 6XX vs HD 800S?

I auditioned HD800 S and HD650 last week at Sennheiser dealer here. The amp in audition was HDVD800. As far as I know, HD6XX is the same as HD650.

HD800 S has much better bass extension, much better soundstage width and depth, clearer and more transparent treble. HD800 S is more energetic and sounds more exciting, it's still very smooth and musical, however. HD 650 sounds more romantic and lush and much softer. Everything sounds more polite. HD800 S is also supremely comfortable whereas HD 650 is only ok in comfort area.

If you can afford it, HD800 S gives you the ultimate music experience. It does well in all music genres and much better than HD650 in all genres as well. It's not only for classical and jazz like regular HD800. More bass quantity and linear bass extension makes it ideal for EDM, rnb and pop as well as classical music.

If you can't afford HD800 S, HD 650 is very good, just not as good as HD800 S.

Dec 21, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #2,245 of 4,141
Thanks for the input, I have been trying to find another pair of HD 800S'. I had a pair. but didnt really have the memory of how I would compare to the 6XX's I have. Yeah I noticed that the 6XX's are pretty much he exactly the same thing as the 650's.

Dec 21, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #2,247 of 4,141
Some thoughts on the HD6XXs and the Nighthawks:

The Nighthawks have more impact and detail in the bass, it's faster and more accurate. Also better imaging and wider soundstage on the Nighthawks. Mids are more forward and present on the HD6XXs, which can be an advantage, especially for some vocals. Both have smooth highs, easy to listen to, but I'd say the Nighthawks are cleaner with details being easier to pick out. Comfort goes to the Nighthawks too. I should mention that this was all with the Fulla 2, and I'd expect that the 6XX's, being higher impedance and less sensitive, should scale more with better amps than the Nighthawks, which might close the gap in some areas. Both great headphones, but my early preference is for the Nighthawks

Dec 21, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #2,248 of 4,141
anyone have a comparison of HD 6XX vs HD 800S?
Totally different ballpark. Detail and soundstage and comfort so much better on the 800S same as with the 700 but to a lesser degree. This is from only hearing the 800S once and the 800's several times and I own the 700's so you may take this with a grain of salt.

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #2,249 of 4,141

I see you're a newer member, but back in the day the HD650, K701 and RS1 where the top 3 headphones anyone around here could own. And all for under $500 each. My wallet refers to them as "the good old days". 
tongue.gif
 I hope the new owners just don't think these are "cheap" $200 headphones. These babies will scale very well. Back in 2008 an HD650 and B22 amplifier was endgame territory. Heck, I ordered a pair of the HD6XX and I'm planning on using them on my Hugo TT + GS-X Mk2 (and not just my Mojo). 

I am still at HD650 + Rockhopper B22 (y'all remember Rockhopper?).....I dig the "good old days"

Actually end game was either HD650 + B22/GSX or HD650 + EC Zana Deux. HD800 was a downgrade for me personally.

My source is Linn KlimaxDS ..haha

I don't think my HD650 really singed until I upgrade my source to Klimax. Btw, Chord Hugo whatever is a step down from Klimax and it's easy to tell the down grade using HD650.

Yeah, the HD650 is really only good for people who can afford at least 300-500 dollar amps not to mention another 200 for a decent dac... My Fulla 2 can power it, but I have to crank it high for it to get fun, and within 10 mins I get tinninitus, maybe 3-5 years from now I will get the HD650 again if I ever own a Jotty and XLR stuff or something.

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #2,250 of 4,141
Eep, yeah I can't process my thoughts on these. They're so tame and well-behaved, but there's no detail or sparkle. It's not just the recessed treble, everything seems processed through a blur, veiled as if passed through felt. The sound is so round and balanced, but you lose the detail and edge.

I prefer the sound signature of the DT1350 and dramatically prefer the Stax for good recordings, but they destroy bad recordings. Even my TripleFi 10 IEMS are far faster. That's sort of the best of all worlds so far.

Everything is clear. It's not quite like sitting in the farthest seat of the venue, in that everything is articulate. But it's similar in that everything is rounded and soft and not raw and immediate. It's a polite polished version of bad seats. I prefer the pit.

These are headphones for listening politely to recordings. Not for feeling close to the music. Bleh. They aren't bad, but I disagree that they're equally fast as the Stax Lambdas. I think they're slower than the DT1350s and IEMS, though fast for dynamics I guess. Preference aside (and I do see the strength with both) these are not as fast or resolving. I have to admit it after a lot of careful listening.

I find it has a lot to do with the hd650s treble attenuation. The details are there, and they can be picked out, they are just pushed way back.that said they have a wonderful presentation that can be very realistic at times. That is where they beat many headphones, is in this unique, lush presentation. I hear you though, and agree generally speaking. They are like a pair of comfy slippers.

My experience was a Sony MDR-7550 and EX600 IEM had faster transient attacks and more extended bass over the hd650 by a margin.

LCD2 nudged ahead here too but also has its own 'issues' on the treble end. It too, could be regarded as almost perfect, nothing screeches out at you.

My Denon D2000 much more sparkle and bass extension while still having very neutral midrange. Perhaps a bit too u-shaped for some and fatiguing on longer listens.

I found the HD650 was excellent but I think my.my next Senn is the HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back