Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Nov 4, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #211 of 4,141
So Wait a minute here, how exactly is massdrop able to pull this off? why is Sennheiser willing to sell a $400 headphone for $200 once its massdrop? what does Sennheiser gain from this?

And if so why then doesn't Amazon strike the same deal with Sennheiser? what would Amazon have to do in order to get a deal like this done?

It becomes much easier for the manufacturer when they can be sure that, say, 5000 customers will surely buy a batch of a product. It becomes much cheaper for them to manufacture at scale too. However Sennheiser is definitely accepting a much lower margin than usual so I think sales of the HD650 have dropped so low that now they need a big big boost. Anyway I don't know the definitive answer.
Why is it that you seem displeased about it being Massdrop not Amazon? They all have their own decision to make and by nature Amazon is a free market, Massdrop is a groupbuy site. The business model is different. Amazon does have ludicrous offers for Black Friday. They just don't get cozy with manufacturers and rebrand old product lines at ridiculous price

Nov 4, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #212 of 4,141

So Wait a minute here, how exactly is massdrop able to pull this off? why is Sennheiser willing to sell a $400 headphone for $200 once its massdrop? what does Sennheiser gain from this?

And if so why then doesn't Amazon strike the same deal with Sennheiser? what would Amazon have to do in order to get a deal like this done?

Massdrop pulls this off the same way they pull off their other deals - they strike something up with the manufacturer and then sell the products off at a discount depending on how many numbers they can rake up - Sennheiser sells 5 thousand of a 13 year old pair of headphones in like 2 hours, that's what they gain. How long do you think it'd take for 5 thousand HD650s to sell on Amazon?

Firstly Amazon's sales are mostly done through resellers and stores who just use it as a marketplace to sell their stock. Secondly, Amazon themselves do not need to do anything like this, selling 5k $200 headphones is irrelevant to them at this point, they're a 100 billion empire. Massdrop is a community focused business that have a dedicated team that looks for brands they can collaborate with, it's completely different from a platform like Amazon and they both have their own merits.

Nov 4, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #213 of 4,141

It's all about the economies of scale. Sennheiser surely isn't going to drum up thousands of sales of HD650's in seconds these days. Massdrop generates the hype and Sennheiser can get rid of excess parts inventory. Just putting the HD650 on sale isn't going to generate dollars for the company as they've already sold the product to resellers. 

Ooh I see thanks.

Nov 4, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #214 of 4,141

Massdrop pulls this off the same way they pull off their other deals - they strike something up with the manufacturer and then sell the products off at a discount depending on how many numbers they can rake up - Sennheiser sells 5 thousand of a 13 year old pair of headphones in like 2 hours, that's what they gain. How long do you think it'd take for 5 thousand HD650s to sell on Amazon?

Firstly Amazon's sales are mostly done through resellers and stores who just use it as a marketplace to sell their stock. Secondly, Amazon themselves do not need to do anything like this, selling 5k $200 headphones is irrelevant to them at this point, they're a 100 billion empire. Massdrop is a community focused business that have a dedicated team that looks for brands they can collaborate with, it's completely different from a platform like Amazon and they both have their own merits.

Thanks this explains it.

Nov 4, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #217 of 4,141
I think Sennheiser will probably update their HD6X0 lines next year, like what they did for HD5X8 this year. If so, why not make more money on HD650. 

Next year, probably HD660 comes out, with new technology. Another hit. 

Nov 4, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #218 of 4,141
  I think Sennheiser will probably update their HD6X0 lines next year, like what they did for HD5X8 this year. If so, why not make more money on HD650. 

Next year, probably HD660 comes out, with new technology. Another hit. 

Yeah, I feel that way too.  After they've sold thousands of these, they'll release the new version and reel you in again.

Nov 4, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #219 of 4,141
Let's not forget the HE1, while unattainable for most, will also most definitely sparkle new products, as much new was discovered during the R&D phase, with countless new patents, eventually trickling down into future products. Baby HE1 notwithstanding, some of the technilogy might trickle into the 6xx line, 8xx line, or create a new line entirely.

Nov 4, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #223 of 4,141
  Do we have an idea how much HD 650 Sennheiser sells every year?

Is that where most of their revenue comes from or is it those cheap $25 headphones?

This is the #1 best seller on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-202-Professional-Headphones-Black/dp/B003LPTAYI/ref=zg_bs_172541_11?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KXGQJN5V9H6G8AM385RR

Nov 4, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #224 of 4,141
Hi guys I'm think about joining this drop, I already have alot of good headphones. HD600, X2, He500, THX00 are my top four. should I sell everything but the he500 and join the drop, would that cover all my needs. Thanks for all the input in advance.

Nov 4, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #225 of 4,141
I am super excited!

Question for people who had 650s. What do you think is the best desktop DAC/AMP to drive them properly and also feed powered monitors?? Preferably with a switch to be able to go between headphones and monitors...

I am tempted by Fostex, but some say it is not powerful enough...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back