Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jan 4, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #2,731 of 4,141
I agree, HD6XX is the most uncomfortable headphone I own. But I will give it time and see if the clamping force will tone down. When I compared the built to my $79 XPT100, I feel the XPT100 is more sturdy, able to withstand more abuse and more comfortable.

It's only uncomfortable if you desire it so. The clamp force can be easily modded, as discussed multiple times in this thread.

Jan 4, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #2,732 of 4,141
2 weeks in and they're a lot more comfortable already. I was shocked by the initial clamping force, but it's gone away with time (I did use the bending technique as mentioned by others). 

In terms of the quality of materials: the only thing I would have liked would be memory foam pads like in the AKG K7XX, but it's by no means a deal breaker. They're really comfortable now- much more so than when I first got them. 

Jan 4, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #2,733 of 4,141
I just got my Senheisser HD-6xx a few days ago. Can’t comment on the sound yet, but...

Is it only me? Or do these headphones look cheap?

The plastic looks like something you buy in one of those cheap all for a dollar shops. Certainly not something that would have a price tag of $200.

My late Senheisser HD-595 looked much more premium. Even the HiFiMan He-350 look better.

I will comment on the sound a soon as I can get them head to head with my HiFiMan HE-350, Audio Technica A900X and Senheisser Momentums (over ear), all fed from a SMSL Sanskrit 24bit192kHz USB DAC and amped with a Little Dot I+.

I also have to determine if the Little Dot I+ is enough or I will be needing another headphone amp (maybe a Darkvoice 336, Little Dot III or a Bottlehead Crack). Any comments on a recommended DAC for any of these amps would be nice to hear as well.

If you are willing to do a little wire cutting & soldering the concensus leans toward the Bottlehead Crack. There are plenty of discussions & videos on comparing amps for HD600, HD650, HD6XX & even HD800. I decided to go straight to the Crack for my HD600s & I can tell you the smile on my face was ear to ear when I first listened thru it. I loved building it too. Made some design mods to it (polished the aluminum plate, painted the transformer cap & routed the wood base) The stock Crack simply sounds incredible!! I ordered the Speedball upgrade but will enjoy it stock for a while before installing it. Side by side comparisons between the Crack & LDIII lean towards the Crack as the better amp from what I've read. I say get hooked on Crack & never go to rehab :)

Jan 4, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #2,734 of 4,141

I just got my Senheisser HD-6xx a few days ago. Can’t comment on the sound yet, but...

Is it only me? Or do these headphones look cheap?

The plastic looks like something you buy in one of those cheap all for a dollar shops. Certainly not something that would have a price tag of $200.

My late Senheisser HD-595 looked much more premium. Even the HiFiMan He-350 look better.

I will comment on the sound a soon as I can get them head to head with my HiFiMan HE-350, Audio Technica A900X and Senheisser Momentums (over ear), all fed from a SMSL Sanskrit 24bit192kHz USB DAC and amped with a Little Dot I+.

I also have to determine if the Little Dot I+ is enough or I will be needing another headphone amp (maybe a Darkvoice 336, Little Dot III or a Bottlehead Crack). Any comments on a recommended DAC for any of these amps would be nice to hear as well.

I'll admit I don't care for the dark blue color, and they do feel and look a bit cheap for what HD650's cost retail, but the sound is great, and so are the ear pads. They're extremely comfortable for long periods of time. Right up there with my 598SE's and K7XX.

Jan 4, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #2,735 of 4,141
Can't go wrong with the Crack that's for sure. Might have to go to rehab after tube rolling as it is addictive.

Jan 4, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #2,736 of 4,141
Happy New Year everyone!
I've had the HD6XX for a couple of weeks now. I am currently listening to Pat Metheny's '80/81' album (vinyl, bought when released in 1981). Boy, I miss those pops! First time hearing this LP with headphones however, and, WOW, it sounds terrific!
All my equipment is budget-fi. My other HPs are Grado SR60, which I hardly use now, and Senn HD558. Thought I could die happy with the 558s, then those guys at Massdrop went and made me this offer I couldn't refuse :b. I'm amping them with the Magni2 through my main rig and and with a CEntrance DACport Slim with my PC.They play nice with my iBasso DX50 too.
All the accolades we've been reading apply with me too: balanced, warm, smooth, . . . and the CLARITY! I'm not a basshead, so, for me, they go deep and with detail. My ancient ears have rolled off the high end notes for some time now, but those I do hear sparkle!
As for build quality? The 6xx series has been around for a cople

Jan 4, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #2,737 of 4,141
Meant to say the 6xx build quality has withstood a couple decades with most units probably still seeing use! This is a non-issue. And while we talk about these as a $200 HP, don't forget they're a rebranded HD650 and that model still retails >$300!
I'm very thankful I was able to join this drop. Except for an upgrade in an amp/dac, this will surely be my endgame HP system!

Jan 4, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #2,738 of 4,141
Happy New Year everyone!
I've had the HD6XX for a couple of weeks now. I am currently listening to Pat Metheny's '80/81' album (vinyl, bought when released in 1981). Boy, I miss those pops! First time hearing this LP with headphones however, and, WOW, it sounds terrific!
All my equipment is budget-fi. My other HPs are Grado SR60, which I hardly use now, and Senn HD558. Thought I could die happy with the 558s, then those guys at Massdrop went and made me this offer I couldn't refuse :b. I'm amping them with the Magni2 through my main rig and and with a CEntrance DACport Slim with my PC.They play nice with my iBasso DX50 too.
All the accolades we've been reading apply with me too: balanced, warm, smooth, . . . and the CLARITY! I'm not a basshead, so, for me, they go deep and with detail. My ancient ears have rolled off the high end notes for some time now, but those I do hear sparkle!

The HD558 were my first open back & it made me fall in love with them. I thought the 558s & my Fiio e11 were going to be enough too. But now I'm enjoying my HD600s & Crack....I'm addicted :) :wink:

Jan 4, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #2,739 of 4,141
The HD558 were my first open back & it made me fall in love with them. I thought the 558s & my Fiio e11 were going to be enough too. But now I'm enjoying my HD600s & Crack....I'm addicted :) :wink:
The Crack is on my radar but I'll have to find some venue where I can listen to various rigs before deciding. Is there any way to find out about local meets?

Jan 4, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #2,740 of 4,141
Happy New Year everyone!

Any difference in audio quality between just a standalone DACport Slim and the Slim + Magni 2?  I've been debating getting a desktop setup.

Jan 4, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #2,741 of 4,141
Any difference in audio quality between just a standalone DACport Slim and the Slim + Magni 2?  I've been debating getting a desktop setup.
I'm running each independent of the other; one upstairs, the other down. The Slim has no trouble driving the 6XX and I prefer it's dac over the one in my CD player feeding the Magni. The Magni, however, is more bright and presents with a slightly wider soundstage. Enjoying both.

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #2,742 of 4,141
Jan 5, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #2,743 of 4,141
For anyone looking to grab the regular HD650, it's currently $299 on Amazon with prime. Never seen them that cheap!

We were all waiting for that to happen. As soon as Massdrop released the HD6XX for $200 the value of the HD650 was sure to drop. Kind of a bummer for those that own them & maybe want to sell them because they can't get nearly what they could have before this price change. Good for those that want to buy them tho!

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #2,745 of 4,141
Maybe they are getting ready to do a HD650 S model. They could still keep the 650 as is (Sell it slightly lower than before), but update with another model in the $400-$500 range. Interesting thought really. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back