Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jan 4, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #2,716 of 4,141
I've had the 650's for quite a while. The 6xx is the 650 rebranded. Built like tanks. Much better built than that crap that Hifiman is churning out. People just need to complain about something, don't like em' sell em'. You got a fantastic headphone for half price! petty foolishness. And if they sound bad to you, then you've got crappy gear. I'm done babbling

Jan 4, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #2,717 of 4,141
The 6XX seems well built, and good quality.  It just doesn't feel "premium", especially compared to my TH-X00 Purplehearts.  However, I would also say the TH-X00 feels more fragile and requires much more care in handling them.

Jan 4, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #2,718 of 4,141
  The 6XX seems well built, and good quality.  It just doesn't feel "premium", especially compared to my TH-X00 Purplehearts.  However, I would also say the TH-X00 feels more fragile and requires much more care in handling them.

The TH-X00 are more expensive, nicer built, looks much better so the average consumer will take care of them more. Massdrop 6XX, on the other hand, looks like a gamer headset.

Mine finally arrived today. I really love it's sound signature. Yes, they are veiled compared to HD 800 S, but they are definitely not veiled compared to the LCDs 234. I am definitely OK with it's laid back signature. Very musical phone and well worth the price. I think they are pretty good for a great variety of genres, including ****tttty compressed music.

Jan 4, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #2,719 of 4,141

I think the fact that it's plastic instantly makes people think it's cheap. Metal can be done cheaply as well, and be much more fragile than some plastic.

Most would argue that the older Hifiman headhpones (HE-6, HE-500, HE-400, etc.) seem cheap in build quality compared to the Audeze LCD series. However, I had the LCD-2 and it felt extremely fragile to me. Similar to with the TH-X00 series, I have seen a couple of owners post about the metal being fragile and breaking easily.

So while the plastic may initially seem cheap, I believe it is very high quality plastic that can stand up to strain, and it is also used to keep the headphone lightweight.

Jan 4, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #2,720 of 4,141

$200.00 vs $449.00.

The TH-X00 are well built.  The only thing I find fragile is the clear coat.  It chips really easy...

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #2,721 of 4,141

I just got my Senheisser HD-6xx a few days ago. Can’t comment on the sound yet, but...

Is it only me? Or do these headphones look cheap?

The plastic looks like something you buy in one of those cheap all for a dollar shops. Certainly not something that would have a price tag of $200.

My late Senheisser HD-595 looked much more premium. Even the HiFiMan He-350 look better.

A gloss finish will look fancier, but won't look better with all those finger prints showing.

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #2,723 of 4,141

Disagree, I don't think they feel cheap at all. Do they feel less premium than my Audeze, Jubilee T90s and ZMF Omni (Ori)? Yea, but they surely don't feel any cheaper than my much more expensive HE-560s and HD800 do; which is to say, not at all. Just because they're plastic doesn't mean they're badly built in my opinion, they're not squeeky, there are no aesthetic imperfections, the sliders are perfect, the grills/drivers aren't rattly, the pads and headband are comfortable standard velour, the cable is actually pretty malleable and non-intrusive when compared to stock cables of much more expensive headphones... What exactly do you think feels cheap about these?

I own the HE-560's. I think the HD 6XX are nowhere near as comfortable. The articulation feels plasticky and looks visibly injection molded, bumps and imperfections on the yolk and headband. I've owned DT 770's and AKG K550's which are (were) around the £100 mark and the plastic on those was more remarkable. Not that the HE-560's are particularly amazing for their price-point.

The sound is just fine for the price. I just think they have used less than premium materials, I do bear in mind these were flagship headphones, albeit 13-14 years ago, they really don't feel or look as such anymore. 

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #2,724 of 4,141
I much prefer stainless steel and leather, like the Momentum, Meze 99 Classics, and my LCD-2. But I must say, I like the look of this HD6XX quite a bit more than I ever did the 600. I have no complaints about its look and feel. Especially for the price.

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #2,725 of 4,141
  I think people are confusing a simple design with feeling cheap. Do they have wood or leather? No. They are made of plastic and metal. Are they the best sounding cans you can get for $200 new? Absolutely. They will also last you a very long time and have that timeless quality to them. Their sound will never go out of style.

+100 
wink.gif

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #2,726 of 4,141

I own the HE-560's. I think the HD 6XX are nowhere near as comfortable. The articulation feels plasticky and looks visibly injection molded, bumps and imperfections on the yolk and headband. I've owned DT 770's and AKG K550's which are (were) around the £100 mark and the plastic on those was more remarkable. Not that the HE-560's are particularly amazing for their price-point.

I agree, HD6XX is the most uncomfortable headphone I own. But I will give it time and see if the clamping force will tone down. When I compared the built to my $79 XPT100, I feel the XPT100 is more sturdy, able to withstand more abuse and more comfortable.

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #2,727 of 4,141
  I agree, HD6XX is the most uncomfortable headphone I own. But I will give it time and see if the clamping force will tone down. When I compared the built to my $79 XPT100, I feel the XPT100 is more sturdy, able to withstand more abuse and more comfortable.

I just followed the instructions on this video, not 5 minutes ago, they are now better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNxK-NwSR5U

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #2,728 of 4,141

The sound is just fine for the price. I just think they have used less than premium materials, I do bear in mind these were flagship headphones, albeit 13-14 years ago, they really don't feel or look as such anymore. 

Oh yea comfort wise the 560s are great no argument there, as are the 800s, way more so than the 650s - what's to blame there is the stupidly tight clamp force, I'd forgotten about how ridiculous it is because my original 650s are like 11 years old by now but after a little bit of stretching it gets better, I do agree though definitely. The HE-400S I own are rattly and feel more plastic-y than the 6XX do too, and they cost 300.

Regarding DT990s which I also own, I paid about $150 for them years ago and they don't feel great either but yea I can see the plastic work being sort of comparable to the 6XX. I wonder if there are differences between 6XX pairs though, mine don't really have any bumps or imperfections asides a small scratch in the plastic above the right side cup branding.

I can see where you're coming from, I just still think their build quality is actually pretty good for $200 headphones compared to others in the same ish tiers - though obviously lacklustre looks-wise when one is used to seeing things like the Elear, LCD-2s, ZMFs, etc. out in the wild nowadays. Plastic is just passé.

Edit: missed a word.

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #2,730 of 4,141
The complaints about them feeling cheap are a bit ridiculous. If you want to complain about this headphone at this price point then u obviously don't know what's out there at $200. Now if u want to complain about the sound signature not being a match for you (treble is very rolled off for my tastes) then I could understand that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back