Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jan 2, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #2,686 of 4,141
If you think things with matte paint feel cheaper than gloss paint, then you could think they feel cheaper. That would be the only explanation, they are identical in build quality.

Jan 2, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #2,687 of 4,141
  One thing Im wondering is if the 6xx build quality is worse than the hd650.

It's exactly the same. Personally I far prefer the look/finish of the HD6XX to the HD650. They feel very solid, especially beside the AKG K7XX which feels very cheap in comparison.

HD6XX feels very premium for $200, imo. Already become my go-to headphone, may even buy another next drop.

Jan 3, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #2,691 of 4,141

It's exactly the same. Personally I far prefer the look/finish of the HD6XX to the HD650. They feel very solid, especially beside the AKG K7XX which feels very cheap in comparison.

HD6XX feels very premium for $200, imo. Already become my go-to headphone, may even buy another next drop.

I second this.

Just received my HD6XX - man this took long.

I like their look and feel better than the HD650 - and I prefer them over the K7XX as well - especially from the build quality. Sound quality goes as well to the HD6XX/650 over the K7XX but both are amazing performers for the money and it's just a matter of taste.

So - the HD6XX feels right at home with my Liquid Carbon and the Venus Audio balanced cable I still had. Now need to swap the cable to give it a try with the Bottlehead Crack. 

By the way - I was one of the unlucky guys who tried to join right after the drop went live and it kept on failing - I was contacted afterwards and ended up getting a pair. Glad I did. Now my serial number is 5091  
eek.gif

Jan 3, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #2,692 of 4,141
Hi Guys I was lucky enough to get in this drop. Sadly my headphones are still in my country's customs being processed by the local mail. In the meantime I'm looking for amps that will bring them to life.
I currently own a E10K and I plan to use it as a DAC and connect it to the amp using the line out. 

From what I read the best option is the Bottlehead Crack + Speedball but it's a bit out of my budget and I don't have experience soldering.

Has anyone tried them with the Little Dot 1+? I know it's hybrid but I was thinking on getting one from MD with the WE408 tubes. 

My budget is 300 USD max, what tube amp should I get for that money, or should I wait for something to pop up in massdrop?

Thanks

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #2,693 of 4,141
  Hi Guys I was lucky enough to get in this drop. Sadly my headphones are still in my country's customs being processed by the local mail. In the meantime I'm looking for amps that will bring them to life.
I currently own a E10K and I plan to use it as a DAC and connect it to the amp using the line out. 

From what I read the best option is the Bottlehead Crack + Speedball but it's a bit out of my budget and I don't have experience soldering.

Has anyone tried them with the Little Dot 1+? 

My budget is 300 USD max, what tube amp should I get for that money, or should I wait for something to pop up in massdrop?

Thanks

Schiit Vali 2 might be a good option under $200.00...

Jan 3, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #2,694 of 4,141
just last month i got myself a used HD600 for $200 then they release this ........

Don't be down on yourself bud. I grabbed a pair of HD600 myself because I preferred them over the Hd650 & many agree the 600s are better than the 650/6XX. Of course that's an opinion but I say grab a good amp like the Crack & you'll really be impressed with what the 600s are capable of. Enjoy!
damn T-T

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #2,695 of 4,141
My new stock HD650 cable just arrived and popped it onto my HD6XX...thankfully they can now reach my GS-X Mk2 and while they have fallen behind over the years  (say behind my HD800S), they (HD6XX, HD650) do still hold up very well and scale quite well with improved gear. They certainly hold their own and don't embarrass themselves; plus for $199, likely the best deal in portable audio for a full sized pair of headphones!

Jan 3, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #2,698 of 4,141
How do they compare to the HD6XX?

Haven't had a chance to do a thorough comparison, although I previously did own the K712s and older HD580/600s , there are differences but I do find Sennheiser and AKG finding a common ground with regards to sound...especially  in contrast to when the HD650 and K701s were first released over a decade ago...dark and veiled to light and airy...neither of which IMHO can now be applied to either phone. The biggest difference almost comes down to fit, clamping force and the AKGs do have more apparent, slightly exaggerated lower base, which some will prefer...the Senns are more even handed but it's still close...and both benefit from proper amplification but for different reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back