Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jan 1, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #2,671 of 4,141
Grace M9XX at the moment. I know they can probably sound better, but still... they sound good to me :p

Just curious. Trying to see what others are using with what they are describing that they hear. I'll get to listen to one soon!

Jan 1, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #2,672 of 4,141
Of course it's not getting all that power - not only would the driver melt, so would my ear drums. But I have to politely disagree with the "no matter what amp - they give the headphone the same amount of energy."  This might be theoretically true if the impedance of a headphone were constant and fixed, like a dummy load, and if music was fixed a specific frequency. But no headphone is made like this. Some can vary dramatically over their range. And a music track's dynamic passages can vary significantly as well. 

The HD650's impedance is rated at 300 ohms, but it actually varies over its audible frequency range - hitting 500 ohms at about 100 hz (almost 2x the rated impedance). Other headphones can vary up to 10x the nominal impedance.

At louder levels and with music that presents high dynamic range, both hypothetical amps would need to deliver a sufficiently equal amount of voltage across all frequencies to match the same levels of loudness. And of course, they don't unless the amps are identical. As Woo's comparison page shows, the WA22 delivers much less power as headphone  impedance varies (700mw at 600 0hms vs 1100 mw at 300 ohms) in comparison to the WA5, which drops from 6000mw to 4000mw (which is a much lower power drop as the impedance rises - a testament to both its beefier transformers as well as its more massive caps).

Two differently rated amplifiers powering the same headphone at the same loudness level over the course of a song will not deliver power in the same fashion - the lesser amplifier will tend to clip or distort earlier, and it may not effectively have enough voltage to control the driver in the critical low frequencies and lower mids. The listener hears this deficiency as sloppier bass and flattened soundstage. You don't need a high powered amp like the WA5 to experience this - just listen to the HD6xx on an iPOD, and then on suitable desktop amp.

This is more often the case with loudspeakers (a speaker like the Apogee Duetta presents a 1 ohm load in its lowest frequency - lower powered amps without sufficient power reserves can actually perceive this as a short as they try to double power output as impedance drops - and then shut down when their capacity is exhausted).

I'm over simplifying this, but my main point with the HD6xx is that welcomes the extra power of an amp and produces a tighter, more defined low end and much better mids/highs and a deeper soundstage with the more powerful amp - and at louder volumes especially.

I'll get into this later as it's 4:00 am here and I'm battling a cold. If I remember correctly, you talked about an amp in an earlier post that has more than enough power and reserves for this headphone. Now, an even more powerful amp is magically better. It doesn't work that way.

Jan 1, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #2,673 of 4,141
I just got mine today, wow really nice, the first description that comes to mind is pleasant.  I am using with a Geek pulse XFI - balance connection with Impact Audio balance cable.   My preference for sound signature is a warmer signature and this headphones are right in my alley. My alpha primes have more bass and little more treble extension, but I find the HD6XX sound signature to my liking. vocals sound really good. Like somebody else said it has the right mix of bass and treble. good all round pleasant, non-fatiguing.  

Jan 1, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #2,675 of 4,141
Wow. The HD6XX is amazing. My music, especially high volume rock-and-roll, sounds better with these headphones than anything I have ever listened to. They just sound so right compared to my modified T50RP and HE-500 that they must match my sonic preference to a T. The Massdrop purchase of the HD6XX is the best $200 I have ever spent.

I bought a spare Sennheiser cable on Amazon and cut the single-ended TRS plug off the end and soldered on a 4-pin XLR to mate with my Schiit Mjolnir amp and Gungnir DAC. The details of the cable build are here: https://robrobinette.com/BalancedCable.htm#Sennheiser_HD The Schiit equipment really show how spectacular the HD6XX is.

The picture shows the stock Sennheiser cable's two halves separated. You must scrape off the enamel insulation on all four wires before soldering--or at least enough of it to get a good electrical connection.

Rob Robinette
Balanced Cable How-To

Jan 1, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #2,676 of 4,141
Really good for the price though the treble is definitely rolled off compared to my Ether Cs. Seems to be an easy to listen too sound balance though.

Jan 1, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #2,677 of 4,141
6XX's for $200 are a complete steal.. I hope they redrop soon for those who missed.

Jan 1, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #2,678 of 4,141
6XX's for $200 are a complete steal.. I hope they redrop soon for those who missed.

Indeed. $200 is an insanely good price for these. The build-quality doesn't seem any worse than the HD600. This is a flat-out steal across all fields. Easily the best $200 I've spent in the Head-Fi game. :cool:

Jan 1, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #2,679 of 4,141
I'll get into this later as it's 4:00 am here and I'm battling a cold. If I remember correctly, you talked about an amp in an earlier post that has more than enough power and reserves for this headphone. Now, an even more powerful amp is magically better. It doesn't work that way.

Hope you recover quickly, having a cold sucks when you want to listen to hifi.

Here is an article that uses the HD650 as a reference and makes the same points, albeit more technically and with measurement graphs and charts.

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/09/more-power.html?m=1

But as always, proof is in the listening. If you read reviews about the WA5 you'll find lots of folks reporting the same as I heard. On the HD650, switching up to higher powered amps was educational for my ears. On the LCD3, even bigger differences in dynamics. Both of these phones are still reasonably easy to drive compared to something like a HiFiMan HE6 or worse, an AKG K1000 which is torture for many amps. But they still benefit.

Mind you, not saying that only hi power amps can work with the HD650. But throw more powerful amps their way and I think you can hear clear differences. My kids and missus heard them.

Jan 2, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #2,680 of 4,141
The HD6XX with the Chord Mojo is absolutely amazing! It pack a lot of warmth and bass but keeps the treble, highs, and mids perfectly zen with this added warmth. Absolutely amazing DAC/Amp. It may even be the best portable one I've ever heard and that includes Woo Audios WA8 Eclipse.

Jan 2, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #2,681 of 4,141
For the record, so is the Geekout V2+ via the balanced connection.  Absolutely top-notch performance with the HD6XX!

Jan 2, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #2,685 of 4,141
One thing Im wondering is if the 6xx build quality is worse than the hd650.

The same degree of quality as my HD600. And I've read the built between the 600 and 650 are identical, save for paint.

I expected it too feel cheap, as I'd read the HD6XX felt cheap. Turns out they merely meant the same cheap as we fans of this line have grown accustomed to. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back