Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 31, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #2,641 of 4,141
The only place is from China for the most part.Been waiting for over two weeks so far.

what websites do you recommend?

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #2,642 of 4,141
Dec 31, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #2,643 of 4,141
For kicks I tried the HD6xx on a few portable systems. I also received a pair of Cardas A8's today so it was fun to compare.

Punchline - the HD6xx isn't really satisfactory for portable players - with one exception.

First up = IPod classic, driven via the 40pin output to a Ray Samuels Emmeline SR71A amp, a solid amp with hi gain settings. It powered the HD to really high levels, but the soundstage was flat and the bass was very soft, with light impact. Top end was also tizzier than when played on the Woo amp. Ok, but not a good demo of what the HD can do.

Next up = Astell & Kern AK120 I. Most songs could be driven to reasonably loud listening levels, but albums like Lyle Lovett's Pontiac ran out of steam and couldn't reach reasonably loud levels. Through the A&K, the HD6xx  sounded smooth and polite, but not at all dynamic. Not much luck taking the AK's output and running through the Ray Samuels amp either - while the volume improved, the soundstage flattened out.

Initial Conclusion - the HD6xx is not a great match for portable players. Flat, not dynamic, and generally anemic bass.

Ran the same tracks through the Woo powering the HD6xx. Ahhh...the goodness returned. Great bass impact, depth, air around instruments, and a nice clean top end.

Tried the above combos with the Cardas A8, an easy to drive IEM. Bass impact was fantastic. Great imaging and smooth highs. Volume was set at half of the amount required by the HD6xx. The A8 sounded best running straight out of the Astell & Kern - no need for the extra voltage offered by the Ray Samuels.

Last test - use the HD6xx with my Iphone 7 plus driving an Audioquest Dragonfly Red, which unlike the Black, boasts a stronger amp (1.2v output). Had the volume cranked up fairly high to get reasonably loud levels. Bass impact returned (but not up to the Woo standard), but lost some definition (the bottom end was softer, looser and woolley compared to the Woo). Mids were nice and rich. Top end was not tizzy, but also not as dynamic or airy as with the Woo. Overall impressions were very positive, notwithstanding the above comments.

Via the AQ Dragonfly red, I could get a much better taste of what the HD6xx can do, as the tone and rich midrange was preserved along with the soundstage, even if the bass and detail suffered a bit over the Woo. I enjoyed the AQ Dragonfly Red combination both with the HD and the Cardas A8, and felt this would be a great combo for portable use, but I would ultimately prefer a higher powered desktop amp. The AQ Dragonfly Red is deal at $200 - the DAC is suberb for a portable inexpensive player, and it plays well with Tidal. 

I'll get the WA5 up and running tomorrow - let's see what 8wpc can do for the HD6xx.

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #2,644 of 4,141
Originally Posted by SomeTechNoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx/talk/619356

AlexPeterkin: Hey everyone. Got an update with good news on the cable issue. Axel wanted to give an explanation personally so I’ve put his letter to the community below.

“To the Massdrop Comunity:

... As the cable is the part with the longest lead time, I’ve decided to use the existing cable of the HD 650 Groove

That's very interesting! I had no idea that Sennheiser sold a bundled package of HD 650 with Apogee Groove.
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/audiophile-headphones-high-end-hd-650

I guess Sennheiser "officially" endorses the Groove as being capable of driving the 650.

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #2,645 of 4,141
  I think the initial HD650s (pre-silver driver versions) where where they got the "veiled" comments. The silver driver release (several years ago) did remove much of it and these have those drivers.

In other news, the short cable is just way too short for my needs, so I picked up a stock HD650 cable instead. Best bang for your buck I can think of around here!

These headphones are still very relaxed sounding. I don't think I'd say "veiled" but the high end is very rolled back. After spending some time with the 650's (I've been using them almost exclusively for about a year) then swapping to my new 400i's, it's very apparent how toned down the highs are on the 650's.

Dec 31, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #2,646 of 4,141
  I think the initial HD650s (pre-silver driver versions) where where they got the "veiled" comments. The silver driver release (several years ago) did remove much of it and these have those drivers.

In other news, the short cable is just way too short for my needs, so I picked up a stock HD650 cable instead. Best bang for your buck I can think of around here!

I've had a couple of silver driver 650's. The first set I could understand some comments about them being 'veiled'. Now whether they are under-amped, folk coming from brighter headphones etc. Whatever the reasoning. But my last pair which I bought early 2016 seemed to have elevated lower treble. The treble was just not balanced. Here we have a generally warm sound but with a treble that protruded out quite aggressively in the upper mids. Almost as if it was saying "look does this sound veiled to you!!" Maybe I got a bad one.. Not sure? My thoughts when I bought them was that they'd given them another tweak. I documented it on 650 thread.. Some believed me - some didn't. 

Don't get me wrong. They sounded great but as time went on the treble just kept annoying me. Sold. 

Dec 31, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #2,647 of 4,141
Offering a discounted hd650 cable would be the best solution imo. I would rather keep the shorter one than exchange, but would also like to have the longer version. I hope they give that option as I don't want a free one because the shorter one fills a need, but they did mislead customers.

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #2,649 of 4,141

I commented about maybe getting the longer cable at a discount and keeping both. I hope that is acceptable.

Agreed, I want both, not an exchange, but since I will use both, a discount would be nice, not expecting something free for me, at least. Also, if doing an exchange, it should be at Sennheisers expense to ship.

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #2,650 of 4,141
I have no use for the 4' or 6' version. If they sent a stock HD650 cable I would be happy.

I do not think we should have to pay to ship the incorrect cable back to Massdrop. If they want them back they should offer return postage...

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #2,651 of 4,141
I just acquired the services of Voxata for my cable. He makes some great affordable cables. Rocking out the 6xx's with the bw/gumby combo listening to death cab for cutie. Sublime

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #2,652 of 4,141
Listening to The Black Keys on the HD6XX is joyous!

:basshead:

Dec 31, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #2,653 of 4,141
Hope everyone has a great New Year!

Dec 31, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #2,655 of 4,141
I commented about maybe getting the longer cable at a discount and keeping both. I hope that is acceptable.

While that would be nice, Massdrop has technically only advertised a 6' cable, so at the minimum that is what you get. No guarantees for two cables.

I want to go for the 6' since it's always better to have a cable that's a little bit too long than a cable that's a little bit too short.

Massdrop in my experience has always been good by providing return shipping labels. I would think that paying for return shipping would be pricy though. I think just producing another cable would be similar in cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back