sennheiser vs ultrasone help please
Sep 25, 2012 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

tdwpgtp

New Head-Fier
hi everyone, i know these types of questions may get annoying, but here it goes:
im looking to get a pair of over the ear headphones in the $150 range. i do most of my listening on an ipod and laptop and listen to mostly rock and rap, but i do listen to a good amount of everything else. im looking for the best all around sound quality in that price range that has a good build quality and isnt horribly ugly. i would prefer something that does a decent job of blocking out noise.  ive narrowed my options down a bit based on other people's reviews to the sennheiser hd 558s and a few ultrasone models including: hfi-580, pro-550, dj1 pro, hfi-680, and hfi-780. any inputs would be great, even if it is other recommendations. thanks in advance guys

Sep 26, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:
hi everyone, i know these types of questions may get annoying, but here it goes:
im looking to get a pair of over the ear headphones in the $150 range. i do most of my listening on an ipod and laptop and listen to mostly rock and rap, but i do listen to a good amount of everything else. im looking for the best all around sound quality in that price range that has a good build quality and isnt horribly ugly. i would prefer something that does a decent job of blocking out noise.  ive narrowed my options down a bit based on other people's reviews to the sennheiser hd 558s and a few ultrasone models including: hfi-580, pro-550, dj1 pro, hfi-680, and hfi-780. any inputs would be great, even if it is other recommendations. thanks in advance guys

Heya,

Seeing as the 558 is an open air headphone, you'll want to avoid that.

I would just suggest the Ultrasone HFI 580. Does everything you're asking for quite well.

Very best,

Sep 26, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
thanks for the input, but may i ask what the reason for avoiding the open ear design is?

Open air designs don't block out noise very well at all because they are literally open to the air. 

I agree. The 580 is a good choice. The DJ1 is the same headphone as the 580 with different styled caps and different cable setup, but sonically the same. 

If you would like to privilege your rock listening more than your rap, then the 780s might work better. They have more mid range presence and the bass is a little less emphasized than the 580. The 780 also comes with a shorter cable that works better for portability, and then an extension for when you need a longer length. But both are good headphones 
smile.gif

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #7 of 10
the ultrasone pro models, especially the 550 and dj1 pro need more power then an ipod can provide to sound decent.  I would not recommend either of those phones for unamped portable use.  

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #8 of 10
x2 for 780, great can. Go 580 for a little less refinement but more bass. 

Edit: 780 has very solid bass to begin with.

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
that would make sense, i suppose. i think i may invest in the 780s then. thanks for your help!

It depends how you want to use these. If you are using headphones in a quiet environment, then of course the open headphones have an edge. In most cases closed design allows for more "speed"/ "excitement" and more bass impact. Depending on what earbuds/ headphones you've been using up to this point, you may or may not like the HD558. But once again, it's a matter of adapting to something new. Technically the HD558 has a flatter frequency response than any of the headphones you listed, with a far superior soundstage. The closed headphones will offer more isolation and bass impact... so weigh your decisions. 

Sep 27, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #10 of 10
I've owned two sennheisers from the 4xx line of two different generations. The HD497 and HD448 regarded as very good cans for their price in the day... that were skimpy on bass (Not sure about the rest of the line like 5xx and 6xx tho!)...They were great for what i was using them for...new rock, alternative, very clear detailed and neutral good for vocals!...When i became addicted to EDM i found myself appreciating the bloated and muddy but substantial bass on my fatality headset more then the sennheisers...  finally I moved up to ultrasones cause of their legendary bass. And what do you know...EDM has come alive. Not sure how they would be for rap...but i have learned i love bass over everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back