Sennheiser vintage HD545 and HD565 headphones
Sep 6, 2011 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

m1150204

Head-Fier
I have HD545, HD580, I found MOGAMI- recabled HD545s sound more relaxible and of airy sound, the HD580s sound dark and heavey.

I really love the MOGAMI-recabled HD545 with ; anybody here has some experience with HD545 and HD565?  HD565 any better?

Thanks for the opinion-sharing.

Sep 6, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #2 of 6
I have HD545, HD580, I found MOGAMI- recabled HD545s sound more relaxible and of airy sound, the HD580s sound dark and heavey.

I really love the MOGAMI-recabled HD545 with ; anybody here has some experience with HD545 and HD565?  HD565 any better?

Thanks for the opinion-sharing.

The original 565 was more midrange-centric than the more distant sounding 580, and the 565 sounded to me more like the Grado 325 than other Sennheisers. But after so many years and possible modifications, it's anyone's guess what you have now.

Dec 28, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #4 of 6
IT'S ALIVE!!!:robot:

Yea, I'm reviving a nine year old thread.. .Sorry if this is frowned upon, but I've been searching high and low for an answer to basically the very same question:

What are the (sonical) differences between the HD545 and HD565, if any?

Would highly appreciate some input from people who have any experience with these two cans!

Edit: I might chip in over time myself, as I've just bought a HD545 in excellent condition. Should be here in a few days! Now just to find a decent 565...

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #5 of 6
IT'S ALIVE!!!:robot:

Yea, I'm reviving a nine year old thread.. .Sorry if this is frowned upon, but I've been searching high and low for an answer to basically the very same question:

What are the (sonical) differences between the HD545 and HD565, if any?

Would highly appreciate some input from people who have any experience with these two cans!

Edit: I might chip in over time myself, as I've just bought a HD545 in excellent condition. Should be here in a few days! Now just to find a decent 565...
Hello. I own the HD 545 and a very good headphone too! To me it has a very similar sound signature to the HD 600 but with slightly less bass and with a bit more soundstage. I have owned the HD 565 and have compared this alongside the HD 545 and to my ears the HD 545 sounds better than the HD 565. To me the HD 545 sounds more up close and intimate retreaving more detail also with a little more bass whereas the HD 565 is also a good sounding headphone sounds more further away sounding and relaxed if this makes sence? The HD 545 is front row sounding and the HD 565 is a few rows back sounding. Hope this helps.

Jan 12, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for sharing, @ChillToMusic

I've found myself a nicely persevered HD565 as well, so now I have both headphones at home to test out.

First, let me say that the differences can be subtle, depending on source and material, but they are certainly notable.

For those unfamiliar with these headphones: to my knowledge the only real difference are the grills. Plastic on HD545 vs. metal on the HD565.

Due to this crucial difference in design, @ChillToMusic is right in saying that the 545's have a more intimate soundstage and perhaps a tad more bass. Although this last observation could be solely because of the 565's wider soundstage and higher amount of treble. So it's only logical that the bass is more spread out aswell, so to speak. I would like to note that both these headphones definitely lack bass and bass impact. Like, big time. So, because of this, I've added a Schiit Loki into the mix to give both cans a firm bass-boost. Which they take like a champ! Also, on a positive note: it's nice to actually hear bass guitar notes for a change. Like the actual nuances that are otherwise perceived as dark thundering blobs (kinda looking at you here HD650).

Anyway, overall it's hard to pick a clear winner here. I was sort of expecting the 565 would be a definite step up, but really it's not. It just comes down to personal preference.

Right now I'm listening to Tracy Chapman and the 545's clearly have the other pair beat, solely because of the more closed-off-design of the grills, leading to a more intimate and warmer/less airy sound signature.

For things like orchestra, soundtracks, movies and gaming however, I might have to recommend the HD565.

Both are surprisingly high quality cans which at the moment I actually prefer to my HD595 and yes, even the DT880 (black 250ohm edition). It kinda makes me think about selling those... but I guess only time will tell...

Oh, another nice thing about these cans: they can be had for dirt cheap prices these days (I paid about 60 euro for each) and most all things from cables to earpads are replaceable with HD580/600/650 parts (look for the HD565 appreciation thread here on headfi for more info)

Anyway, back to enjoying music I go. Cheers!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back