Sennheiser Updates? - HD4x9 Announced?
Sep 19, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #16 of 47
There is certainly nothing wrong with dynamic drivers, sure I mentioned the stats & planar types but I was not saying that there was anything wrong with dynamic drivers, just that it might be nice to see Sennheiser do a planar driver, you right just because there are small chinese companies like Hifiman building these in like you say a garage, I would feel happier buying from a giant like Sennheiser, after market spares would be around a lot longer too, companies like Hifiman may well be here today & gone tommorow in todays market.

There is a gap in the Sennheiser range though that needs to be filled, they have nothing in the £600 price range, not that we should judge on price alone though.

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #17 of 47
The Senn electrostats were statement models not really meant to make any money but to showcase their capabilities. Kinda like BMW making a supercar.

These models we're talking about in these thread are their bread and butter. I'd wager that they could do a planar magnetic, but then again, with the HD800 arguably being the most popular flagship in the world, I'd see why they wouldn't bother.

Sep 20, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #18 of 47
All planar headphones have serious issues with soundstaging, and a good planar driver will always be heavy. Neither of those suit the Sennheiser R&D focus on soundstaging and comfort. Maybe Sennheiser could make the first planar with a good soundstage though, who knows. It would be interesting. Another problem is the weight. Mainstream market will never accept a heavy planar after being used to using lightweight dynamic headphones. All high end dynamic driver work benefits Sennheisers bread & butter, aka mass market products. There would be no such carryover with planar drivers. And last but not least, to really hit a large market with high end products they need to be usable with lower end sources (such as the headphone output in CD players etc) - that´s where planar drivers fail as well, needing too much power for the average customer. 

Sep 20, 2011 at 5:57 AM Post #20 of 47
Yes some great information & opinions so far
smile.gif

Oct 27, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #22 of 47
honestly if the hd448 had good bass extension, it would probably be my favorite headphone of all time, considering they sound similar to the hd 448's. I'm thinking about the hd 439, much better extension nice sound stage and no sibilance. Sound stage and sibilance are the two factors keeping my HD25's from being absolutely perfect. 

Oct 28, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #23 of 47

Quote:
honestly if the hd448 had good bass extension, it would probably be my favorite headphone of all time, considering they sound similar to the hd 448's. I'm thinking about the hd 439, much better extension nice sound stage and no sibilance. Sound stage and sibilance are the two factors keeping my HD25's from being absolutely perfect. 

...What?

Oct 28, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #24 of 47

Quote:
I noticed this on Sennheiser's webpage:

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_hifi_wired-headphones_504767

I know a lot of people around here aren't that interested in low end Senns, but I really enjoy the HD448 as an easy portable.

I'm quite curious for the HD449.  Hopefully this is more than just a re-shelling.  Might have to do a comparison here once they are available...

Most likely a re-shell of the 448's with maybe a few sound tweeks like the HD598's.  I also liked the 448's.

Oct 28, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #25 of 47

Quote:
Most likely a re-shell of the 448's with maybe a few sound tweeks like the HD598's.  I also liked the 448's.

If you're referring to the tweaks as the changes from the 595 to the 598, it was pretty significant wasn't it?  I haven't heard the 598, but I have heard the 595-- and from what people are describing the 598 as, it seems like some pretty substantial changes occurred, yes?

Oct 28, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #27 of 47
Loved the HD438 and HD448. Wouldn't hurt Sennheiser to improve the top end frequency response of the HD4X9 line-up though..

Oct 28, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #28 of 47

Quote:
Loved the HD438 and HD448. Wouldn't hurt Sennheiser to improve the top end frequency response of the HD4X9 line-up though..

And maybe texture up the lows a little.  I have no problem with the quantity (like some have reported) but the texture is a little poor.

Then again, we're talking about a sub $100 'phone

Oct 28, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #29 of 47

Quote:
And maybe texture up the lows a little.  I have no problem with the quantity (like some have reported) but the texture is a little poor.

Then again, we're talking about a sub $100 'phone

yeah and extension, I love the mids they can stay where they are :D. Some how they don't sound bland yet are so relaxed.

Oct 29, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #30 of 47

Quote:
yeah and extension, I love the mids they can stay where they are :D. Some how they don't sound bland yet are so relaxed.

The mids are gorgeous!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back