Sennheiser RS 170: Audio dropping out during silent scenes in movies?
Jul 27, 2011 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

qazwsx16

New Head-Fier
So I'm really on the edge about getting a pair of Sennheiser RS 170s. I love watching movies at especially at night, but my current 5.1 surround sound system doesn't quite do the job. Also, I didn't really want to bother my roommates. I've been reading about these for the past few months and I just might buy it. However, I did read about three reviews stating that when the reviewer was watching a scene in a movie that had no audio, the sound would cut (no audio = cut sound). Which is fine, the problem is that they said when the audio does come back, there is a noticeable delay (I'm assuming the time it takes the TR to realize to reconnect).

From everyone's experience here, is this true? And if so, how long does the silent scene have to exist for the sound to cut?
I really appreciate anyone who replies, I would love to get these!

Oh and the main reason I'm really interested in these is because of the wireless technology, I really love the freedom of no wires.

Jul 27, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #2 of 15
So let me get this straight:

You read a review
They said that the headphones which are designed to play audio
Don't play audio, sometimes

Yeah, you're basing your judgement of a item that is still selling, Because Sennheiser hasn't pulled it from the market, the problem isn't with the headphone. The people who have the problems are probably playing pirated videos on their computers and the video itself has the problem or their system does

Other then that OP, I have to stress that wireless headphones are more a hassle then a wired headphone. The lack of sound quality and battery timing is the biggest problem. Just bringing that up

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #3 of 15

Quote:
Yeah, you're basing your judgement of a item that is still selling, Because Sennheiser hasn't pulled it from the market, the problem isn't with the headphone. The people who have the problems are probably playing pirated videos on their computers and the video itself has the problem or their system does

Other then that OP, I have to stress that wireless headphones are more a hassle then a wired headphone. The lack of sound quality and battery timing is the biggest problem. Just bringing that up

Yeah since Sennheiser hasn't pulled them, I assumed it only cuts out during extremely long scenes (Since most movies wouldn't have those that). I'm more of a computer tech and although pirated videos do lack the security and format of a normal DVD or Blu-Ray, the video and audio should be exactly the same.

Now although I'm a computer tech, I wish I was an audio tech as well. But my ears can't really tell the difference between extremely good quality audio hardware vs. good audio hardware (But they're good enough to know skullcandy isn't good at all!). So in your opinion, would you say for someone like me would find the RS 170 enjoyable? 

And I completely agree with you on wired vs. wireless. But whenever I watch a movie, I need everything perfect (Ex. Lights completely off, no blinking lights, complete silence, pitch black outside, etc, etc). So this is why a wired would really bug me. I agree that the SQ would be much better (for the same price), it's just I wouldn't like it. 

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #4 of 15

Quote:
Yeah since Sennheiser hasn't pulled them, I assumed it only cuts out during extremely long scenes (Since most movies wouldn't have those that). I'm more of a computer tech and although pirated videos do lack the security and format of a normal DVD or Blu-Ray, the video and audio should be exactly the same.

Now although I'm a computer tech, I wish I was an audio tech as well. But my ears can't really tell the difference between extremely good quality audio hardware vs. good audio hardware (But they're good enough to know skullcandy isn't good at all!). So in your opinion, would you say for someone like me would find the RS 170 enjoyable? 

And I completely agree with you on wired vs. wireless. But whenever I watch a movie, I need everything perfect (Ex. Lights completely off, no blinking lights, complete silence, pitch black outside, etc, etc). So this is why a wired would really bug me. I agree that the SQ would be much better (for the same price), it's just I wouldn't like it. 

But why wireless?
Just get a good amount of 1/4inch ex. cords.

I've never found a wireless can that can beat a wired in SQ

I like my HD598 for movies, btw

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #5 of 15

Quote:

But you have roommates. So you're living in a dorm, yes? In which case wouldn't you be watching the movie on your desktop/laptop? In which case, you would be quite close to the screen, so a wired headphone wouldn't be a huge hassle really, and a wireless headphone would be unnecessary.

I'm sure you know that in most things tech (although things are improving all the time) there is a trade off. If you really want perfect audio, then wired is the safer, more stable route to go--much like wired vs wireless internet.

I am doubtful about those reviews you mentioned. What kind of movie has absolute silence in any scene?

Jul 27, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #6 of 15

Quote:
But you have roommates. So you're living in a dorm, yes? In which case wouldn't you be watching the movie on your desktop/laptop? In which case, you would be quite close to the screen, so a wired headphone wouldn't be a huge hassle really, and a wireless headphone would be unnecessary.

I am doubtful about those reviews you mentioned. What kind of movie has absolute silence in any scene?

Ah sorry I said that incorrectly. I live in an apartment with two others. I'll be watching/listening from my TV which would be about 10 feet away. 

One of the few movies that come to mind would be something like No Country for Old Men. Oddly enough it's usually movies like such that I find most interesting. I'm weird..

Jul 27, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #7 of 15
Really? No Country for Old Men has scenes with complete silence, no audio recorded whatsoever? It seems more likely that movies have scenes where the actors say nothing, but ambient noise is still recorded--which would mean that there are no "silent periods" that would cause the RS 170 to suddenly go dead, as the reviews claim.

Jul 28, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #8 of 15
Ah sorry, that's what I meant to say. and yes that's what the reviews said. But what I really want to know is how long the silent periods have to be until the headphones go dead.

Feb 19, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #9 of 15
Hi, I bought these back in Dec 2011 and loved them, now suddenly on quiet scences of movies(DVD-R, copied using clone, & slysoft) the audio does drop off and come back with a half second delay.
This does not happen during "loud"scenes such as dialouge,music scores etc, but on quiet scences eg opening scene of Hannah where she is stalking the deer.
It sounds like when you are talking to someone on your cell phone & the reception is cutting in & out like when your in a tunnel etc.
So yeah, it is a problem, now I rareley use them, it does not happen during blurays though?!.
I listened to the same scences through some $50 wired headphones and there are no problems. I repaired them but the problem remains.

Hope this helped
rolleyes.gif

Feb 19, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #10 of 15
U have to push the Volume ofmthe scource to the max. The Sennheiser detects the scource depending on the Volume. U have the chance that the "noise" in silent scenes is enough to keep them alive.

Feb 19, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #11 of 15
Yup, keep the source volume at max and adjust it at the headphones, if the signal coming to transmitter is too weak it will go to standby after 5 minutes. It probably could happen during a long, quiet scene if the source volume is too quiet, but I've had RS180's for two years now and they've never shut down during a movie, music or gaming, even with a 7 meter cord from headphone out to transmitter that also weakens the signal a bit.

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #13 of 15
OK looks like it's gone after turning source up. BTW does switching the attenuator from -8dB to -0dB help? I wonder if the attenuation occur before or after the "sound detection".

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #15 of 15
I have experienced this problem with these headphones.  The solution is:

- turn the volume on your computer all the way up

- adjust the volume with the buttons on the side of the headphones themselves

the increased signal from the computer will make sure the audio does not cut out eve in quiet scenes.  and you can still make the output quiet.  tested while watching the hobbit right now, and it works fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back