Sennheiser PX 100: White or black?
Jan 8, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #16 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
So what is your opinion of the AKG K701?

Why not search out the overpriced limited edition ones, the "HD-414 like" ones that have the yellow pads?
very_evil_smiley.gif

I was going to mention the K701 in my original post but I didn't. I actually do have a K701 on order. Yeah, the color bothers me a little, but since I won't be walking out in public wearing them, it's OK
icon10.gif
. I ordered one because of people's comments on the sound signature -- basically Sennheiser-esque with a dash of Sony SA5000.

Those yellow pads? No way! I have the HD414 pads dyed in black for use with my Grados. That gives me an idea for a new team. Go Team Black!!
tongue.gif

Jan 8, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #18 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
depends on your style. one of my siblings almost killed me after realizing that they made PX100s in white and didn't have to settle for the black (i like black).

i wouldve taken it back then! lol. i mean black would still look nicer with a white ipod. looks kinda boring if it was all uniform or something.

Jan 8, 2006 at 5:33 PM Post #19 of 49
Once you go black, you never go back. I'm thinking of getting a new pair for my mom's Sony D-NE10 CD player. I wonder if the package mentions the aluminum voice coils for the updated PX-100's?

Jan 8, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #20 of 49
White for sure... I have the the black ones and might just buy the white for a laugh as they look very cool, but that's just to me
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2006 at 7:47 PM Post #21 of 49
Now I'm not sure which color to get...so...if I buy the black PX 100 headphones anyways, how do I know I'm getting the new version and not the old...and which sounds better, the new or the old, someone said on the ilounge forums, "The only difference these days is in the color as far as I know - unless you can find an older pair of the black headphones, which were constructed of different materials in the speakers, giving a slightly less bright sound (which some people on headphone forums like headfi.org find preferable). "

Which sounds better, and how do I know if the black PX 100 headphones I would buy online are the new ones?

Jan 8, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #23 of 49
See my previous posting re: old v new sound. Bottom line - only way to be sure you are getting the new version is buying a white PX100.

Jan 8, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #24 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark
See my previous posting re: old v new sound. Bottom line - only way to be sure you are getting the new version is buying a white PX100.

I see. Some people here, as that guy said, seem to prefer the old sound? Why is that? Are there any other differences than what you had said?

Jan 8, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #25 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by vak
I see. Some people here, as that guy said, seem to prefer the old sound? Why is that? Are there any other differences than what you had said?

No way. They now have excellent sound.
The old ones were thought to be on par or lower than the koss portas due to softer sound, but I compared the new ones (white) and they are now noticeably superior sounding.
No irritating sibilace of the flashy koss titanium drivers, and also better more clearer mids than even the non-irritating, mylar drivers on protapros, which are bassy-er anyway.
They were sounding very much like high-end large cans.
Better than my senpx200, btu not a fair comparison since these are closed units.

Jan 8, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #26 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by lukas44
No way.
The old ones were thoght to be on par or lower than the koss portas, but I compared the new ones (white) and they are now noticeably superior sounding.
No irritating sibilace of the koss titanium drivers, and better more clearer mids that the non-titanium protapros, which are bassy-er anyway.
They were sounding very much like high-end large cans.
orphsmile.gif

Okay. Should I get the white ones then because then I would be sure they're the newer ones? I do think they would get a lot of attention though, so I'm not sure if I should go with the black or not...I'm not sure...and if I got the black ones they might be the old ones anyways. Do we even know that they remade the black ones at all?

Jan 8, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #27 of 49
The 'old' sound is mellower, with bigger bass and a more recessed mid/treble. I don't find it works quite as well as the newer PX100 with my Sony NW-HD5H, but it's still v.satisfying in its own right and helps with brighter sounding sources.

Chances are you will find the black PX100's in the shops now are use the new voice coils anyways, so the choice is probably academic.

I think you would be happy either way!

Jan 8, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #28 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark

Apparently Sennheiser changed the voice coil material from copper to aluminium some time in early 2005 and I bought the white version to see what difference it made to the sound - until quite recently, they were the only ones you could be sure of having the new material. If you are buying the black version you might want to check when they were made.

I prefer the 'new' sound - there is noticeably more presence and detail in the midrange and I don't get the feeling that the treble might be recessed like before. Bass is less prominent than before but probably more balanced. My old phones are sitting unused in a drawer now.

Exactly. I agree 100%
I stumbled upon this 2 weeks ago when I purchased my sen 485, and was very tempted to just get the px100... There the only 2 that stood out as being exceptional in the store's headphone listening section.

Jan 8, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #29 of 49
Sorry 4 confusion, EDIT:
I just found out that both the 485 & px100 use the same newer aluminium voice coils...
eek.gif

Thay say the newer coils are more lightwieght for increased dynamics and higher sensitivity...Seems to be working.
eggosmile.gif

Jan 8, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #30 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by lukas44
I just realized they both use the same newer aluminium voice coils....
Thay say the newer coils are more lightwieght for increased dynamics and higher sensitivity...Seems to be working.
smily_headphones1.gif

How do you know that for sure, and how do you know that the black ones I would buy online would be made from the new material for sure?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back