Sennheiser PX 100: White or black?
Jan 8, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #31 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by vak
How do you know that for sure, and how do you know that the black ones I would buy online would be made from the new material for sure?

Sry I wasn't clear, I don't know about the balck px100, but I know that the 485 & white px100 have it.

Jan 8, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #32 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by lukas44
Sry I wasn't clear, I don't know about the balck & white px100, but I know that the 485 & white have it.

To be sure I get the new, better sound, I should probably get the whites? Do you think they would stand out too much or anything?

Jan 8, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #33 of 49
A recent date of manufacture on the box would be the best guide but not easy to check, esp. if buying online. Next best option is to buy from one of the sponsors or somewhere that turns around plenty of these items (e.g Amazon?????)

To be 100% sure: get the white ones!
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #34 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark
A recent date of manufacture on the box would be the best guide but not easy to check, esp. if buying online. Next best option is to buy from one of the sponsors or somewhere that turns around plenty of these items (e.g Amazon?????)

biggrin.gif

Do you think they would stand out too much or anything? So far, the white ones are sounding good. ^^

Jan 8, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #35 of 49
did the packaging from the white say about the aliminum drivers?
If so the you could check by reading specs on package.
My Sen485 stated and explained about it on the package.

Jan 8, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #36 of 49
I think the white ones look pretty good. Black maybe looks more understated but no problemo with white IMHO.

Jan 8, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #37 of 49
I did have a quick look at the box but couldn't see any info on materials used. The website might have details????

Someone on here emailed Senn last year re: change in sound signature and their reply referred to a switch to aluminium drivers.

Jan 8, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #38 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
- Black says "audiophile" moreso than white in my mind.

AKG K701s should be more "audiophile" than black PX100s, though. But then again, maybe the Orpheus are more "audiophile" than the AKG K701s? (I thought "audiophilia" is about things you can hear, not about things you can see...
confused.gif
)

Jan 8, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #39 of 49
I consider the newer Px100 sound really a step above anything else portable so far.
I have/had the portapro, sportapro(new&old spec versions), sporta2000(long time ago excellent models), koss 55, 75, new40(look like larger closed silver cans& the best of the titaniums), radioshack pro35(titanium drivers made by koss).
These newer Px100 beat them all, even feel them being much better than my Sen px200(closed back)!
So I think it is a Huge achievment to beat koss so noticably, in portable sound. I seroiusly doubt at this time anything better except high-end cans.
eggosmile.gif

Jan 8, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #40 of 49
More detailed thoughts:
The kos75 clip ons have deep fashy bass, over-sparkling highs and a bright clear mids, but were so close in my head It seems diificult to notice details.
I rate these seocond best for portable use, because the sharp "S" sibilance of it's titanium drivers. I also like their bendable/adjustable feature of the clip-ons.

The new koss40 sounded better, more natural, real, and not as much in your head , but look like closed cans and are slightly big for portables. I rate these 3rd best because of larger size for a portable .

The Sen Px200 have always sounded bland in comparison, but very clear and flat. Good isolation from these closed mini-cans. I rate these 4th best.

The new px100 sound more real & alive than all, without needing flashy bass or fake sparkle(koss) which is why I feel them superior and the best portable you can get at this time.

Personally I like my Sen485 best but it's a ittle too big for portable use.

EDIT: Forgot about the nice portable AKG 26, since I don't own it yet, but I think those would better than the Sen px200

Jan 8, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #41 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark

biggrin.gif

My PX 100's (black) were purchased on September 28, 2005 from Amazon. They are still unopened, since I have both the PortaPros and SR60s to use, and have "0528" stamped on a sticker enclosed in the package. That seems to be the only indication of a build date or marking unique to my particular package. I really would love to know if these manifest the "new" sound signature (which is why I bought them in the first place) before I open them. Can anyone shed some light or hazard a guess based on the purchase date and number?

Jan 9, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #42 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy
AKG K701s should be more "audiophile" than black PX100s, though. But then again, maybe the Orpheus are more "audiophile" than the AKG K701s? (I thought "audiophilia" is about things you can hear, not about things you can see...
confused.gif
)

No, of course you're correct. Headphones are about sound first and foremost. I believe my purchase of a SR60 despite its appearance
biggrin.gif
is evident of my belief. (I'm probably flame bait for the Grado crowd for this comment, but it's about the sound right?
tongue.gif
And yeah, the retro look is cool to some people)

The only reason I'm talking about the color of the headphone at all is because PX100 is offered in two colors. With the white color, Sennheiser is clearly trying to cater to the general consumer iPod crowd. The white color, in this case, is about projecting a certain image to the consumer. And it is to this marketing message that I direct my comments.

Having said that, I like cool looking headphones. I wouldn't buy a headphone solely for its looks, but if it has an appealing appearance in addition to the requisite sound quality, then that's a bnous. That's certainly a part of the Audio Technica headphone appeal. I certainly won't deny I notice the appearance of headphones, and marketers no doubt recognize the value of appearance.

I'm not quite sure the K701 is relevant as AKG's intent on its choice of color is not as clear cut as in the case of the PX100. Some people have talked about it in the K701 thread so I don't want to get into it here.

Jan 9, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #43 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoreman
My PX 100's (black) were purchased on September 28, 2005 from Amazon. They are still unopened, since I have both the PortaPros and SR60s to use, and have "0528" stamped on a sticker enclosed in the package. That seems to be the only indication of a build date or marking unique to my particular package. I really would love to know if these manifest the "new" sound signature (which is why I bought them in the first place) before I open them. Can anyone shed some light or hazard a guess based on the purchase date and number?

Does the bottom right corner of the package have a circular emblem with words "natural sound" on it? At least thats what the white ones have, so if anyone can tell us if the old black ones don't have that on packaging, then it would be a good indication.

Jan 9, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #44 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by lukas44
Does the bottom right corner of the package have a circular emblem with words "natural sound" on it? At least thats what the white ones have, so if anyone can tell us if the old black ones don't have that on packaging, then it would be a good indication.

Nope--there's a circular emblem indicating a "2 year warranty" in the bottom right corner of the package. Nothing saying "natural sound" specifically, although another reference to "true home audio sound quality" is near the top of the package. I'm kinda hanging my hat on the "0528"--hope someone can help us interpret!

Jan 12, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #45 of 49
The packaging as well as the numbers are different for both versions.
But the latest versions in the store had one similar feature. Specs.
The frequency response, sensitivity and distortion numbers were exactly the same, as well as the "twin damping" feature, so I had to assume they were the same drivers.
The 0.1%THD impressed me most, as other portables I looked at were higher(even koss).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back