Sennheiser PC350 with ASUS Xonar Xense, worth buying?
Jun 1, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #46 of 88
I owned a set of PC350's. My objective opinion is based on also owning SD-580's, SD-650, Razor gaming headphones with built in mic, Shure SRH-840, and a piece of crap set of earbuds costing $15. I play FPS games quite frequently (former WoW addict).

The 350's were worse than the earbuds.

Jun 1, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #48 of 88
Quote:
..can I ask what source you were using with them?

Even though I agree with him, t-minus 10 to 'onboard sound'.

Jun 1, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #49 of 88
X-Fi ExtremeMusic at the time.

I'm sorry if I came across a bit harsh on the PC-350's. I had owned the HD-580's for years and used them for single player games and Itunes and loved the sound. Then I upgraded to the 650's and was blown away by the high quality of Senn's. Not as comfortable as the 580's but still superior quality audio.

Gaming is what I did for fun for hours at a time so I added a Zalman Zm-Mic1 to the 580's using zip ties all the way up the cord so I could enjoy the sound and still be able to use Ventrilo.

I was so excited that Sennheiser was producing a headset for gamers! I bought one the instant is was available, plugged it in, and prepared to be transported to a realm of gaming nirvana.

Blam! The brick wall hit!  The muddied and muffled sounds completely underwhelmed me. Ventrilo didn't sound good. My teammates weren't impressed by the new microphone.

No way! This can't be right?!  I kept at it for weeks. Let the headphones burn in for 60 to 70 hours just sitting on my desk playing music.
Didn't help.

I picked up a pair of PC-151's for gaming until I finally found a really good set, the Razor Carcharias. I gave the $300 PC-350's to my son and I still feel guilty.

Jun 1, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #50 of 88
Lulz.  I felt the same way.  Mind you, I knew a place that had PC151s for $40 CAD each, so I'd just buy a new one each time mine failed, just for WoW.

Jun 1, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #51 of 88

Quote:
X-Fi ExtremeMusic at the time.

I'm sorry if I came across a bit harsh on the PC-350's. I had owned the HD-580's for years and used them for single player games and Itunes and loved the sound. Then I upgraded to the 650's and was blown away by the high quality of Senn's. Not as comfortable as the 580's but still superior quality audio.

Gaming is what I did for fun for hours at a time so I added a Zalman Zm-Mic1 to the 580's using zip ties all the way up the cord so I could enjoy the sound and still be able to use Ventrilo.

I was so excited that Sennheiser was producing a headset for gamers! I bought one the instant is was available, plugged it in, and prepared to be transported to a realm of gaming nirvana.

Blam! The brick wall hit!  The muddied and muffled sounds completely underwhelmed me. Ventrilo didn't sound good. My teammates weren't impressed by the new microphone.

No way! This can't be right?!  I kept at it for weeks. Let the headphones burn in for 60 to 70 hours just sitting on my desk playing music.
Didn't help.

I picked up a pair of PC-151's for gaming until I finally found a really good set, the Razor Carcharias. I gave the $300 PC-350's to my son and I still feel guilty.

So again no amplifer for high impedance cans.  Let me guess, they sounded very veiled, no bass response...etc?
The point that many have already posted is these cans as many other will sound very off and bad without proper amplification.  Being driven using a simple line output from a soudncard is nowhere near proper amplificaiton for such high impedance cans.

The set that comes bundles may also possible be modded.  That has yet to be proven one way or the other....

Jun 2, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #52 of 88
I've driven the PC350 through an amp before (on my Nuforce HDP and Meier Corda Arietta), it still sounds terrible and largely unchanged. I doubt any amp will bring these to life, I think they really need to be modded to have its true potential shown otherwise they just sound very hollow. I didn't bother modding them and got a refund then bought a pair of AD700 instead. They are very overpriced, they're worth about $120 when it's on sale which is okay but the retail price is insane really.

Jun 2, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #53 of 88
 http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3319/asus_and_sennheiser_unite_with_xonar_xense_hd_audio_solution/index7.html

This just came out, for everyone's reference:

"So, is the Xense worth the upgrade if you’re already an owner of a Xonar? The short answer is yes, it is. And if you are in need of some real hi-fi headphones, then even more so. The bottom line is, if you want the best audio at the moment on your PC and have the resources free to spend on it, then you cannot do any better than the Xense.
So, without further discussion and for all of these many reasons listed today, we once again dig deep into our bag of tricks to produce another Tweaktown Editors Choice Award for ASUS` bulging trophy cabinet."

Jun 2, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #54 of 88
Quote:
 http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3319/asus_and_sennheiser_unite_with_xonar_xense_hd_audio_solution/index7.html

"So, is the Xense worth the upgrade if you’re already an owner of a Xonar? The short answer is yes, it is. And if you are in need of some real hi-fi headphones, then even more so. The bottom line is, if you want the best audio at the moment on your PC and have the resources free to spend on it, then you cannot do any better than the Xense.
So, without further discussion and for all of these many reasons listed today, we once again dig deep into our bag of tricks to produce another Tweaktown Editors Choice Award for ASUS` bulging trophy cabinet."

LOLno.  A Zero DAC + AD700 would kill it.  Or a uDAC + AD700.  Or an Audinst + AD700.  Or ANYTHING at a lesser price range.

Nevermind the fact that they rated it's 'value for money' when, for all we know, the package is going to cost $350+ MRSP, which is way too overpriced for the combo.

Jun 2, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #55 of 88
I have tested them also prior to testing these and they were not all that good.  I have already posted, the "Xense Edition" are possibly modified or the proper tuned gain level has some massive sonic muscle because they sound very good in this bundle.

Jun 2, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #56 of 88

Quote:
LOLno.  A Zero DAC + AD700 would kill it.  Or a uDAC + AD700.  Or an Audinst + AD700.  Or ANYTHING at a lesser price range.

Nevermind the fact that they rated it's 'value for money' when, for all we know, the package is going to cost $350+ MRSP, which is way too overpriced for the combo.

Well that is an opinion about a product you have not tested....  You are also guessing at the MSRP.  I have heard modded Zero and they are not all that good, I wonder why you keep posting about them like they are something really awsome?  They are far from it...
DAC's and other external gear is always an option however, soundcards offer features that DAC's do not and that is appealing to many people.
Not to mention, you have yet to hear this bundle....

Jun 2, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #57 of 88

Quote:

Here is some info I released awhile ago on the card.  Xense Preview 7.1

Jun 2, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #58 of 88
Quote:

Well that is an opinion about a product you have not tested....  You are also guessing at the MSRP.  I have heard modded Zero and they are not all that good, I wonder why you keep posting about them like they are something really awsome?  They are far from it...
DAC's and other external gear is always an option however, soundcards offer features that DAC's do not and that is appealing to many people.
Not to mention, you have yet to hear this bundle....

It's an opinion on the PC350 being overpriced as it is.  Yes, I have no tested it with the Xense mode, this is true.  But I can't see how a gain setting could make a product go from 0 to 10.  I'm making an educated guess at the MRSP (Value Xonar cards ~$100 + PC350 ~$220+)

I really like(d) my original Zero DAC, and preferred it to the STX, so, that's why I keep posting about it...  I also liked the uDAC better than a Xonar DX, but didn't get to test it vs the STX.

Soundcards do offer features that are hard to find on an external unit, this is true.  But, for the common Head-Fier, a headphone setup or 2.1 is as far as they're going to go.  Then they get sucked into buying sound cards with advertised 'headphone amps' and they 'mistake' them for the pinnacle of quality.

Nope, haven't heard the bundle.  I have heard the PC350 on an STX, and a DX, and it sucked on both, and paled to my (Now ~$60-70) SRH440s..

Jun 2, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #59 of 88
I said it is an opinion suggested this or that devices can surpass another device which you have not heard which is the Xense Bundle.  I heard a modded Zero dac and it doesn't touch the STX in specs,masurements or overall soudn quality...  However, you can never tell if the person doing the testing has the device setup properly or is using speakers or headphones which allow them to make an accurate judgement.  I think peopel buy the cards with the headphone amplifer because in most cases they are cheaper and provide better sound then similarly priced external device.  For instance, for the price of an STX your not going to find a DAC and headphones amplifier with that high of sound quality for an equal price.  That is of course an opinion also but seems to be shared by many that have tested the STX and other components of similar price.  I don't think anybody around here ever said the built in amps on these cards are the "pinnacle" of sound quality.  Further, if you are foolish enough to get "sucked into" buying anything without putting in the proper time to do your own research perhaps it is time to find abother hobby.

Jun 2, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #60 of 88

Quote:
I owned a set of PC350's. My objective opinion is based on also owning SD-580's, SD-650, Razor gaming headphones with built in mic, Shure SRH-840, and a piece of crap set of earbuds costing $15. I play FPS games quite frequently (former WoW addict).

The 350's were worse than the earbuds.

Pity you don't have the proper sound card or AMP to hear what they really sound like.

Also they don't cost $300, right now they are $116.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back