Sennheiser Orpheus 2 ($55,000) or Hifiman Shangri La ($50,000)?
Aug 27, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #17 of 39
Doesn't matter. You have no reference of sound.

Always choose the moar expensive better

Nov 27, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #19 of 39
Sound unheard, you definitely want to go for the Shangri-La Sr. The Orpheus was released in 1991. Just think of the advances in technology since then. Plus, the Shangri-La Sr. is $10k less, a bargain. Furthermore, people complain that QC or build quality is sub-par. To them I ask, what is the point of a 1990's laptop built to last decades? Hifiman has bested all incumbent manufacturers at every price point with the complaint that they release products too frequently. To me that's a sign of their rapid R&D and innovation. Frankly, I find the Orpheus tacky with its motorized tubes and knobs. Think of the cost behind that automation. The SRS represents a no-frills, performance oriented flagship.

Nov 27, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #20 of 39
I've heard the original Orpheus and it was magical. THE MOST musical headphone I've heard. It was very delicate in its presentation and incredibly enjoyable. I assume that the Orpheus 2 is at least as enjoyable as the original Orpheus. Can't speak to the Hifiman headphones, but as someone mentioned, Hifiman headphones were notorious for poor quality control (I don't know if that's been addressed.)

Nov 30, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #21 of 39
I've heard the original Orpheus and it was magical. THE MOST musical headphone I've heard. It was very delicate in its presentation and incredibly enjoyable. I assume that the Orpheus 2 is at least as enjoyable as the original Orpheus. Can't speak to the Hifiman headphones, but as someone mentioned, Hifiman headphones were notorious for poor quality control (I don't know if that's been addressed.)

Fang himself has been developing the Shangri-La Sr. for more than a decade. It has gone through about a thousand iterations. Not only this, at this price if anything goes wrong with I would be surprised at anything less than white-glove service. QC is really irrelevant in this discussion. Nobody at this level buys worrying about QC. Furthermore, QC is a term that typically relates to mass production. Obviously SRS is not mass produced, so again, irrelevant.

Nov 30, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #22 of 39
Anything that's made has to undergo quality control to ensure that A. It works and B. It works well over a prolonged period of time. Just because something isn't made in great quantity doesn't mean it doesn't or shouldn't undergo rigorous quality control.

Nov 30, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #23 of 39
I've decided I'm crazy enough to drop around $50,000 on headphones. I trust head-fi as the best audiophile community out there, so I'll probably buy whichever of the two gets the most recommendations. I appreciate any input, especially if you've had a chance to listen to them. Thanks!
Get Chord Dave, M-scaler with Meze Empyrean and higher quality cable and save the rest of your money and be a happy man.

Nov 30, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #24 of 39
I haven't heard either but I would buy the one with the better warranty. Also consider long term ownership. What happens if you need to repair a driver 10-15 years from now?

Nov 30, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #25 of 39
Looking at OP’s (Basshead Paul) subsequent postings it looks like he went with the hd6xx or hd650

he must have got a good price on those to change his initial plans

Dec 1, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #28 of 39
Hifiman sounded like crap and looked cheap as hell too.

If you are going to spend this type of money, get the Orpheus 2.

According to my ears, the Orpheus 2 is the headphone that come closest to high-end speakers. But for that type of money, you can buy better sound from speakers.

The only thing that I didn’t like about Orpheus 2 is the bass, but electrostats are terrible at bass in general. There is a bass boost knob that might help it a bit.

(I have also have never heard an electrostat speaker that delivered good bass also. So i am not blaming the Orpheus 2 for it )

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #29 of 39
Reviving this old thread as I will be auditioning Hifiman Shangri-La Sr sometimes next week. I have listened to Sennheiser HE-1 in the past (30 min only), but currently demo in Switzerland won't be here until June, so can't do a direct comparison. Anything in particular I should be looking for? I have some experience with electrostats (a couple of hours on 009 with Blue Hawai).

May 26, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #30 of 39
Reviving this old thread as I will be auditioning Hifiman Shangri-La Sr sometimes next week. I have listened to Sennheiser HE-1 in the past (30 min only), but currently demo in Switzerland won't be here until June, so can't do a direct comparison. Anything in particular I should be looking for? I have some experience with electrostats (a couple of hours on 009 with Blue Hawai).
Do you have experience with the Susvara?
I'd be interested how they compare.

In case you heard the Shangri La Jr. I'd be especially interested if the Sr. has better Bass.

The He1 has impressive Bass for an electrostat. Delivering a very harmonic sonic presentation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back