Sennheiser MX 980 Expression
Jun 7, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #167 of 283
The bass on the mx980 is the reason Why I am selling it. It is tight and nice, but I don't feel sub-bass at all. I think it depends on who is hearing as earbuds are very fit dependent. When I press my fingers against them to adjust the fit the sound is significantly different and better. I believe there is someone out there who has the perfect ears for it, but sadly I am not the one.

Jun 11, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #171 of 283
How about the rubber on the jack? Does it look durable to you guys? I'm kinda bothered with it because i can pull it out a bit or rotate it a bit. I wonder if I can consider it as rugged just because it's made from metal... But I'm loving its sound more an more each day!

Jun 11, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #172 of 283
I'm treating it as a baby. But I want it to be tough enough when accidents happen.. :frowning2:

Jun 14, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #174 of 283
Hi everyone this is my first post here on head-fi :)

I've had my MX980 for a week, so I've decided to post some thoughts... First I'd like to point out this earbuds are extremely pricey in USA and most European countries compared to what I paid for them in Poland (I bought them for 125$ brand new from retail store with full 2-year guarantee).

BUILD QUALITY
The build quality is top-notch. I actually like the "big" jack, which is unique and somewhat adds luxury factor to the overal design. The volume control is not that bad I don't use it at all, but it's so light I don't even notice it's presence. Based on some reviews I was scared they wouldn't fit me ears, but thankfully that was not the case - fit is perfect and my ears don't hurt! In fact, my old Sony MDR-E931 earbuds were bigger than MX980.

SOUND PERFORMANCE
I've burnt-in them for 25hrs and I don't know if it's enough for this earbud, but after that time I don't notice more changes in sound. This earbuds are not universal, they're exactly what Sennheiser advertise them - "balanced and precise sound reproduction". What does it translates for? Well it practically means if you're used to fun sounding and bassy earphones you're gonna be very disapointed in MX980 sound at least at first :wink: and I guess that will be the case for most people... For years I've enjoyed fan sounding earphones so it took some getting used to process for me to actually start liking MX980. They have a very wide soundstage and every single audio details are perfectly heard. They provide some bass, but they're not bass heavy at all. I would describe their bass as slightly rumbling bass. It's there and you can feel it punches whenever neccesary, but it's not overwhleming. That's ok for me since you can't really expect much in that department from earbuds. Having said that I must admit they have uncomparable bass to any other earbud. MX980 bass is more like on good balanced IEM level.

They're not best for all music genres. POP and ROCK are probably their weakest spots - they will not deliver full enjoyment there, MX880 will be much better for this music. On the other hand soundtracks, classical and electro is where they really spark and show their high-fidelity signature. This is really the kinds of music where fun sounding earphones lacks because of their artificially changed balance. I listened to Metal Gear Solid 4 soundtrack and was really impressed by what I've heard. MX980 orchestrated every beat so well and precise that I felt as if I was sitting in the front row at the filharmonic concert, well sort of :). Again, listening to pop mainstram tracks was ok, but not as much fun as with some 50-100$ fun sounding IEMs and earbuds.

MX980 and iPod touch
Well this combination clearly proved MX980 need a bit warmed/colored player. iPod touch is too neutral-cold for Sennheisers. I mean the sound is acceptable, but it's not the perfect fit. Still waiting for modded Prodigy HD2 to see how it performs with MX980 :) These earbuds are extremely hardware-picky.

PRICE/QUALITY
The price is justified more by luxury packaging and build quality than the actual sound performance. They're largely overpriced and definatley not worth 200$ or even more at some stores! I would price them at 100-150$ at most, and that's about what I've paid for them (125$) so I'm happy. If MX880 are now priced at 60$ then yes MX980 should be sold for 100$.

FINAL THOUGHTS
I really like them, but still learning to love them :) The soundstage is huge, instruments detailed and separation is incredible, but it doesn't always equal enjoyment :wink: For many people MX980 sits on top of Sennheiser earbud range. In fact the company position them as that. In my opinion it's a mistake, simply because they're not universal, they don't perform well with some music genres. They're more of unique, delivering specific analytical sound signature, which applies to not so many people. If you really know what you want and are aware of MX980 weak/good spots then they might be the perfect earphones for you :) On the other hand, if you're just a casual listener, who want to spend more money just because you think you're gonna get the best sounding experience then I suggest to really think twice before purchase. I can see a lot of people buy these Sennheisers just because of the hype factor around them, only to return/resell them soon after :wink: Technically, MX980 is the most advanced earbuds in the world, aspiring to musical refference, but they're not for everyone, thus not mainstream. In fact, they're only for a few :)

Jul 16, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #175 of 283
I'll just share my weird experience with mine hoping that someone had experienced it too. One time I was listening to some extreme metal music (the ones with very fast solid bass punches for very long duration). Then suddenly I hear the right bud somewhat clipping, i duuno if thats the correct term but it's like just any other cheap speaker that is playing beyond its headroom. Just the right bud only. I listened that song with my mx880, no clipping. Listened again with 980, still clipping. I listened to Sway by Bic Runga, it's a song with few instruments with nice bass. Right bud still clipping! I listened to all my earphones and found no clipping. Then after 10 minutes of no playing music. I put the 980s on again and guess what, no clipping! It seemed to have healed all by itself! It's been four days now since it happened and i still keep listening to the songs where it sounded abnormally. No sign of busted bud. I listen alot to heavy songs but I keep my volume no more than 80% in my ipod touch. What do you think was that? Just some stage of breaking in?o_O I'm so bothered with that experience and now i can't stop checking if the busted right bud is really fixed by itself every now and then. Sorry for the long rant. Hoping some thoughts and words with you guys, thanks! And sorry for the poor grammar.

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #176 of 283
@GoodBoy
My sound preference to rock music would still be the MX980s. And even for pop music. Yes the 
MX880 gives more emphasis to bass but the quantity and quality of bass of MX980 is far beyond the 880's. It's just the 980 doesnt boast its bass department like the 880's. Taylor Swift's voice in the 980 is way more natural and sparkling than the 880. Even death metal bands with decent mixing sounds way better in 980. I think the only instance that the 880 will sound better than 980 is when played to a bad mixed song (eg.  Low budget underground bands) because the 880 somehow alters the sound to be deeper and sometimes tricks the listener to hear a smoother and much punchier bass. Aside from that, the 980 kills the 880. I think it still depends on the listener, if they prefer to hear EQ'd music or the natural mixed sound. Even for alternative rock or pop songs i'd still choose my 980 over my 880! :)

Jul 17, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #177 of 283
it's funny how i've got so so much audio headgear lying around my room. And over the last few weeks i've listened exclusively with these mx980's. When travelling/needed noise isolation, i've used some shures 315's. That's it.

Why do i need anything else?

Sep 24, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #178 of 283
I'll just share my weird experience with mine hoping that someone had experienced it too. One time I was listening to some extreme metal music (the ones with very fast solid bass punches for very long duration). Then suddenly I hear the right bud somewhat clipping, i duuno if thats the correct term but it's like just any other cheap speaker that is playing beyond its headroom. Just the right bud only. I listened that song with my mx880, no clipping. Listened again with 980, still clipping. I listened to Sway by Bic Runga, it's a song with few instruments with nice bass. Right bud still clipping! I listened to all my earphones and found no clipping. Then after 10 minutes of no playing music. I put the 980s on again and guess what, no clipping! It seemed to have healed all by itself! It's been four days now since it happened and i still keep listening to the songs where it sounded abnormally. No sign of busted bud. I listen alot to heavy songs but I keep my volume no more than 80% in my ipod touch. What do you think was that? Just some stage of breaking in?o_O I'm so bothered with that experience and now i can't stop checking if the busted right bud is really fixed by itself every now and then. Sorry for the long rant. Hoping some thoughts and words with you guys, thanks! And sorry for the poor grammar.

any inputs on this? my mx980 is still on the stage of burning in i believe. The sound still changes everyday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back