Sennheiser MOMENTUM True Wireless 2 (MTW2)
Oct 30, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #136 of 228
so you would upgrade a pair of westone w4r 4 driver IEM for these? do they have the same audio quality or better and how is the base.

I am trying to decide on these, I have other options as i know the Jabra Elite 85 are out and the Fiio UTWS3

but i am interested in ANC and i don't think the UTWS3 do that for the westones so that leaves the other two don't know if i should go for the mtw2s
First of all. Those are all theoretical thoughts at the moment. I ordered the MTW2 and they should arrive later today though.

As far as I know the Jabra have more bass and probably not as refined sound as the Sennheiser. The Jabra do connect to the source independently for each earbud, while the Sennheiser do not. That's a limitation to aptX as far as I know. Which leads to the third point. The Jabra don't support aptX, while the Sennheiser do.

About the UTWS3. I think it isn't even officially announced with a specification. It should be soon though. ANC on the other hand won't come to these. Simply because this isn't possible without a mic inside the IEM. And even if wired IEMs would have a mic inside to allow an adapter to implement ANC somehow, I doubt it would work good. ANC tech is way too fragile to work in a generic way (At least as of today).

Here’s Crinacle’s just released graph of the MTW2 with High End Tuning enabled from the Sennheiser app underneath the graph without the tuning enabled:

1604000252636.jpeg

1603999417822.jpeg

I couldn’t get the comparison feature to work right due to the multi-tuning, sorry for the stacked graphs.
You have to scale the browser to see the name in the drop-down in one line (for me it was down to 50%). Then you can add them side-by-side with the little arrow symbol as usual.

Oct 30, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #137 of 228
First of all. Those are all theoretical thoughts at the moment. I ordered the MTW2 and they should arrive later today though.

As far as I know the Jabra have more bass and probably not as refined sound as the Sennheiser. The Jabra do connect to the source independently for each earbud, while the Sennheiser do not. That's a limitation to aptX as far as I know. Which leads to the third point. The Jabra don't support aptX, while the Sennheiser do.

About the UTWS3. I think it isn't even officially announced with a specification. It should be soon though. ANC on the other hand won't come to these. Simply because this isn't possible without a mic inside the IEM. And even if wired IEMs would have a mic inside to allow an adapter to implement ANC somehow, I doubt it would work good. ANC tech is way too fragile to work in a generic way (At least as of today).

You have to scale the browser to see the name in the drop-down in one line (for me it was down to 50%). Then you can add them side-by-side with the little arrow symbol as usual.
Thanks will be very interesting on what you think of the mtw2

cheers

Nov 2, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #138 of 228
Here are my thoughts on the MTW2 and a somehow weird comparison to the Tin Hifi T2 Plus combined with the Shure RMCE-TW1 TWS adapter:
  • The MTW2 saves the EQ settings on the earbuds, while with the TW1 this only works when using their mobile app to play music.
  • While the big and matte finish may be too big for some, I actually like it, because it makes the handling of the earbuds easy and secure without the fear of dropping them.
  • I really like the "instant audio feedback" from the touch controls before the actual action happens delayed via Bluetooth. As some kind of a touch control hater, I think that Sennheiser did an excellent job here. The TW1 have physical buttons, but their feedback is nearly non existent and they're pretty hard to press. This is the main reason I gave the MTW2 a try in the first place.
  • The ANC on the MTW2 is quite nice for low frequencies like engine noise. They also do a fine job in passive isolation though. Due to the nature of being an adapter the TW1 don't have ANC, but the T2+ are blocking out a bit more noise when comparing pure passive abilities. With ANC turned on the MTW2 are better though and the sound changes from ANC are extremely subtle.
  • The MTW2 ambient mode has a hiss to it, which is a bit annoying. Other than that the ambient mode works quite nice and is pretty natural sounding. Compared to that the TW1's ambient mode has only a really small amount of hiss and the ambient mode can be turned from low to high in 10 stages, which let's everyone use it in their preferred way.
  • Both support aptX, which is important for me and most other Android users.
  • Both support firmware upgrades via the mobile app.
  • The touch controls of the MTW2 are fully customizable. The TW1 controls are not, and they're also very limited. The TW1 is missing volume and track controls.
  • The MTW2 are hold inside the case with magnets, which are pretty strong and secure. Almost too strong :). The TW1 are hold inside the case with a clip, which works fine as well.
  • The MTW2 have a slight constant hiss, when on. In quiet environments that's a bit annoying when listening on low volumes. In most scenarios this isn't a problem though. Still sad, because Sennheiser managed to produce the MTW1 without hiss as far as I did read.
  • Both, the MTW2 and TW1 have a master-slave connection, which means no left side standalone usage is possible.
  • Both, the MTW2 and TW1 don't have multi-pair.
  • The MTW2 have more bass than the T2+, but if it comes to detail retrieval those two are pretty similar.
  • The wearing comfort is pretty good with both devices. At least for my ears, I do not forget completely, that they're inside them. But I can wear them for quite some time (1-2h+) without problems.
  • FR wise my personal sweet spot is somewhere in between the MTW2 and the T2+.
  • The case of the MTW2 is obviously way smaller than the TW1's. That one isn't too big either and has plenty of room for most third party IEMs as well.
  • The MTW2 switch on and pair automatically when taken out of the case. The TW1 do not. Both adapters have to be switched on independently before they connect.
  • Overall I prefer the MTW2 by a lot due to convenience.

And here a few questions:
  • It is possible to connect the MTW2 to the app while they're connected to another device. Shouldn't that also allow some kind of multi-pairing?
  • How do third party ear tips work with the MTW2? Fit on the earbuds itself, fit in the case and fit in the ears?
  • Are there any TWS with aptX and independent connections and/or multi-pairing available at all?

@meridius

Nov 2, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #139 of 228
Here are my thoughts on the MTW2 and a somehow weird comparison to the Tin Hifi T2 Plus combined with the Shure RMCE-TW1 TWS adapter:

And here a few questions:
  • It is possible to connect the MTW2 to the app while they're connected to another device. Shouldn't that also allow some kind of multi-pairing?
  • How do third party ear tips work with the MTW2? Fit on the earbuds itself, fit in the case and fit in the ears?
  • Are there any TWS with aptX and independent connections and/or multi-pairing available at all?

@meridius

1. Yes, you can manage them from the app when they're connected to another device, just make sure BT is on. It's almost like multi paring, as good as it can get without it, I can easly switch between my PC and Phone.

2. I've tried both Spinfit and Spiraldots, both works great, on other TWS that's not always the case. Just keep in mind that the nozzle is a bit shorter than on most IEMS.

3. Nope, the few TWS that do have multi point like the Jabras uses a different chipset which doesn't support APTX, thus making their multi-point basically useless unless you're a mac user. SBC just sounds awful in my opionon at least.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #140 of 228
1. Yes, you can manage them from the app when they're connected to another device, just make sure BT is on. It's almost like multi paring, as good as it can get without it, I can easly switch between my PC and Phone.

2. I've tried both Spinfit and Spiraldots, both works great, on other TWS that's not always the case. Just keep in mind that the nozzle is a bit shorter than on most IEMS.

3. Nope, the few TWS that do have multi point like the Jabras uses a different chipset which doesn't support APTX, thus making their multi-point basically useless unless you're a mac user. SBC just sounds awful in my opionon at least.
Thanks for your feedback:

About 3.:
So this is a hardware limitation with current Qualcomm chips?

Nov 2, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #143 of 228
Nov 2, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #144 of 228
Yepp, but I suspect this will change once they release their first chip with LE-audio.

I’m not familiar with what LE audio is ... can you explain?

Nov 2, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #146 of 228
Nov 3, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #148 of 228
Anyone here with a nice EQ setting for classical music on the MTW2?
I bought the Momentum True Wireless 2’s to stream Tidal as I walk my dog. I do 2-6 miles a day. The most annoying problem I have with these IEM’s is a weird cricket chirping when I walk. It’s related to vibration from my heels to my ear. If they’re extremely snug I hear no weird chirping but I’ve moved to the large size silicone earpieces but I still have an occasional problem. Is there a foam earpiece that will fit these? I have wired Westone R4’s with no issues. I just like wireless.

Nov 4, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #149 of 228
I bought the Momentum True Wireless 2’s to stream Tidal as I walk my dog. I do 2-6 miles a day. The most annoying problem I have with these IEM’s is a weird cricket chirping when I walk. It’s related to vibration from my heels to my ear. If they’re extremely snug I hear no weird chirping but I’ve moved to the large size silicone earpieces but I still have an occasional problem. Is there a foam earpiece that will fit these? I have wired Westone R4’s with no issues. I just like wireless.
As for all IEMs, there is slight noise inside your ear when walking. Highly depending on how hard you hit the floor with your feet. Personally I don't have anything special to report here. It's all normal.
I think Sennheiser sells foam tips especially for their true wireless devices. Other than that most tips work just fine. Especially the ones that aren't going too deep, since those are similar to the stock tips in form factor. "Normal" tips are fine too and also fit in the case. Double and triple tips won't fit in the case I think.

Nov 5, 2020 at 2:02 AM Post #150 of 228

hi there I am a user of a pair of westone w4r and would love to hear what you think of the new mtm2 in sound quality compared to the w4r. Do you think it was worth the upgrade as I am after a set of wireless headsets.

Also did you consider a pair of new fiio UTWS3 add ones to make your w4r wireless as I am waiting to see what the new ones are like but there not released yet.
Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back