Sennheiser MOMENTUM True Wireless 2 (MTW2)
Oct 23, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #121 of 228
There was an update today to the Sennheiser „Smart Control“ app and it includes a feature called „High End Sound Tuning“ for the MTW2.

It only mentiones that you can activate a „refined and pure“ audio profile and that activating it has a „small effect on the playtime“ but that’s about it.

See files attached. What do you guys think about it?
It's a special DSP that brings their tuning closer to the IE 800, with a more detailed description in our announcement in the Sponsors thread. Thank you for highlighting it, we hope you enjoy!

Last edited:
Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Oct 23, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #122 of 228
It's a special DSP that brings their tuning closer to the IE 800, a bit less bass and more balance across the frequency range. Thank you for highlighting it, we hope you enjoy!

I might have to pick these up now. I love my IE 800 S.

Or how about you make a true wireless version of the IE 800, so we have an actual, not simulated experience :)

Would love to see a high-end true wireless earphone someday, don't think there are any. I imagine a lot of the bottleneck tiny DAC/amp chip that has to be inside. Maybe it's wishful thinking.

Oct 23, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #123 of 228

Or how about you make a true wireless version of the IE 800, so we have an actual, not simulated experience :)

Would love to see a high-end true wireless earphone someday, don't think there are any. I imagine a lot of the bottleneck tiny DAC/amp chip that has to be inside. Maybe it's wishful thinking.

I think the challenge is surmountable. I agree, an IE800S level of performance wireless would be great, it’s only a matter of time before wireless catches up.

Oct 24, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #124 of 228
It's been over a month of using the mtw2s, like another user pointed out, SQ has definitely improved since day 1. To be frank, I hardly miss Wired IEMs, I think even the depth of sound is more or less as good as an equally priced wired IEM. Don't know how Sennheiser managed that.

Oct 24, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #125 of 228
so you would upgrade a pair of westone w4r 4 driver IEM for these? do they have the same audio quality or better and how is the base.

I am trying to decide on these, I have other options as i know the Jabra Elite 85 are out and the Fiio UTWS3

but i am interested in ANC and i don't think the UTWS3 do that for the westones so that leaves the other two don't know if i should go for the mtw2s

Oct 24, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #126 of 228
so you would upgrade a pair of westone w4r 4 driver IEM for these? do they have the same audio quality or better and how is the base.

I am trying to decide on these, I have other options as i know the Jabra Elite 85 are out and the Fiio UTWS3

but i am interested in ANC and i don't think the UTWS3 do that for the westones so that leaves the other two don't know if i should go for the mtw2s

Don't get the MTW2 for their ANC. It is there and it somewhat "works" but it's nothing to write home about, really. They do sound great though and have a very good passive isolation (like many IEMs of course). They are extremely convenient as well. Just don't expect too much from the ANC!

Oct 24, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #127 of 228
I agree that the ANC is meh, but the passive isolation is good enough. The thing with "proper" ANC is, it can produce a sensation of vacuum for some folks (me including) which can be very off-putting.
I'll be happy for an earphone which provides at least a 30dB noise cut, which effectively blocks conversation level sounds.

Oct 24, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #128 of 228

I haven't heard any westone IEMs, but for me, compared to JH Audio Billie Jean and Diana, the Sennheiser MTW2s are much better in terms of tonality and handling treble. Also, they have that warm Sennheiser mids which is very pleasing.

Oct 24, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #129 of 228
thanks, I use public transport for 2 hours a day and maybe 40 min walk a day as i use them to go to work and back and i am now fed up with wires as i have been through 4 pairs since i owned the westones. Its just teh westones have 4 drivers in each ear and i am not to sure how good these would be compared to them.

you say the ANC is not that great but surly they would be better than a pair of wetsones that don't have them at all?. I am not to sure if ANC is worth it on any IEM.

I also take phone calls from the wife sometimes and i have to put the phone up to my mouth as the westones don't have a mic and miss that.

I just dont want worse quality audio than the westones.

Oct 24, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #130 of 228
thanks, I use public transport for 2 hours a day and maybe 40 min walk a day as i use them to go to work and back and i am now fed up with wires as i have been through 4 pairs since i owned the westones. Its just teh westones have 4 drivers in each ear and i am not to sure how good these would be compared to them.

you say the ANC is not that great but surly they would be better than a pair of wetsones that don't have them at all?. I am not to sure if ANC is worth it on any IEM.

I also take phone calls from the wife sometimes and i have to put the phone up to my mouth as the westones don't have a mic and miss that.

I just dont want worse quality audio than the westones.
No. Of Drivers don't dictate overall sound fidelity. Personally, I haven't heard any of the westone IEMs so I cannot compare. But what I can tell you is, the MTW 2 have a very pleasant sound. You can listen without any sort of fatigue. At the same time, it isn't a dull or boring sound, it has all details, but it doesn't pierce your eardrums.

About ANC, it will be better than your present non-ANC earphones, for sure. Like I said, its a bit mild, but does its job. My advice is just add a spin fit to get the perfect fit and turn on ANC.

Oct 26, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #133 of 228

We're glad you enjoy your IE 800 S... you might be interested in the MTW2 more after reading the full details of the new mode in our announcement here: New! High-End Sound Tuning mode

However, one of the things that make the IE 800 S special and unique is the dual chamber absorber system... it manages frequency peaking and backwaves so that, despite being a closed IEM, the IE 800 S has some of the acoustic traits like an open backed design. Obviously that doesn't match with the "everyday wear" splash resistant, noise isolating, and active noise cancelling Momentum True Wireless concept, though Sennheiser does understand an audiophile tuning like the IE 800 S, and MTW2 users can get a taste of audiophile tuning with the new update!

@meridius also mentioned the desire for microphones on his daily-wear IEMs. The MTW2 does have multiple microphones for beamforming, and a DSP to pick out and enhance your voice for calls from the background noise of your environment. The Momentum True Wireless 2 also provide the convenience of touch controls that can be configured to answer/hang up calls and activate voice assistants. The microphones, in hand with our DSPs, also allow for the "Transparent Hearing" mode that allows you to safely hear the street when you're walking, or switch back to ANC for when you're on your 2 hours of public transit. When designing the Momentum True Wireless IEMs, they were created with your use case in mind!

Last edited:
Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Oct 27, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #134 of 228
I have been using the MTW2s for the last couple of days. I must say I'm very impressed with the sound quality, not just for a true wireless headphone. I have previously owned Jabra Elite Active 65t, they were pretty good, but I didn't consider them for listening to music for pleasure, I mostly used them for workouts and convenience. I generally use my Campfire Audio Vega for music enjoyment. But with the MTW2s, I can see myself using them more regularly considering their sound quality and also the benefits of wireless and ANC. Speaking of - ANC is fine; and in conjunction with passive noise isolation, I don't hear outside noise much when I'm listening to music. I have also owned the Momentum Wireless 2 full-size headphones previously, which I preferred over my Sony WH-1000XM1s despite their superior ANC. Also, I have bought the Anker Soundcore Spirit Dot 2 for workouts as a cheaper alternative to the Jabra as it also has IP7 rating, decent sound for workouts, is lighter and better fit for running.

I think the MTW2s could be a little louder though, but it could be just me. I raised the preamp slider up a little in the Poweramp app on my Samsung Note 10 Plus to get the desired highest volume - and it seems to do the trick.

It's still early days - but I'm very happy with the MTW2s.

Cheers.

Surja

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #135 of 228
Here’s Crinacle’s just released graph of the MTW2 with High End Tuning enabled from the Sennheiser app underneath the graph without the tuning enabled:

1604000252636.jpeg

1603999417822.jpeg

I couldn’t get the comparison feature to work right due to the multi-tuning, sorry for the stacked graphs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back