SHURE CUTS THE CORD: RMCE-TW1 / TW2 - THE TRUE WIRELESS THREAD
Oct 27, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #349 of 595
My TW1 just arrived. I'm still charging it, but I really like the detail with the "adapter loading LED" pass-through to the outside.
Not that this is quite convenient to see on the outside. It's also a genius idea and the upper part of the case doesn't need any electrical parts like this.

Oct 28, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #350 of 595
Ok, so I tested the TW1 with my T2+ for a bit.

Sound wise they're really good. Nothing else to say here. :)
And I also like the build, the fit and the case in general.
The case interior should have some foam to protect the IEMs while shaking the case though.

What really bothers me a lot are the controls. I ordered them because I thought I could live without the volume and track control or any kind of customization. While I'm not sure about that yet, it is inexcusable how bad the buttons are. Their feedback is nearly non existent and they're way too hard to push for that kind of usage, where you try to push them into that wobbly spot behind your ears. It doesn't hurt, but it moves a lot and loosens my IEMs in the process of pushing the button. So I have to squeeze them with my thumb and index finger. Try to execute a triple click combined with that horrible feedback. :)

I'm really disappointed by that. And quite curious if that's just me, or why noone else brought that up before.

Oct 28, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #352 of 595
I'm really disappointed by that. And quite curious if that's just me, or why noone else brought that up before.
That’s totally fair—I don’t think I’ve ever used the TW1 buttons for anything other than turning them on and off, and even then, I’ve always used my thumb to support the back of the earpiece so my pointer finger doesn’t dislodge it. And like you said, the tactile feedback is pretty poor. I guess I still prefer it a bit to touch controls like those found on the Airpods Pro and Sony WF-1000XM3 just because those cause a very unpleasant thud-like sound in whatever ear you‘re tapping on.

I use my Apple Watch to control volume and next/previous most of the time, and I find that experience to be just about perfect for every true wireless earbud I’ve tried. Not suggesting that an extra wearable is the right solution here, just that I haven’t really experienced any true wireless earbud with good controls yet (so I guess I never really judged the TW1 too harshly in that department).

Oct 28, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #353 of 595
My experience is similar to @ryanmatic with me, too, mostly using my Apple Watch for track control (or even the phone directly). And yes, I also use two fingers for switching them on most of the time.

Regarding AirPods Pro: the squeezing works for me, I don’t know about touch control on the Pro (vs the normal AirPods, but there it’s not that bad due to the missing seal)

Oct 28, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #354 of 595
The squeeze control on the Pro isn’t bad, but the seal is so shallow that using it often compromises the fit (for me at least). The TW1 with double flange tips seals so securely by comparison that I really only find myself using the APP for phone calls, where I’m primarily interacting with the phone and not the earbud controls.

Oct 28, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #355 of 595
I returned the TW1 and will just continue to use the Airpods Pro. Like Kalli, I found the lack of controls bothersome and I just like how easily I can take the Airpods off and on. The sound was great though with the Aonic 4s. I listen mostly to podcasts and occasionally "deep focus" type melodies, I find anything more than the Airpod Pros overkill. You can even say the Airpod Pros are more than I need.

Oct 30, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #356 of 595
So I've read through all 24 pages and most of the reviews to me were at least on the positive side.

I got my TW1 yesterday and started using it today, to be honest I'm really disappointed with the sound quality. Basically not much of a difference compared to any cheap IE Earphones available. Eg. Sennheiser CX300S.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not promoting sennheiser cause I just sold my MTW2 75th Anniversary Edition at a loss of $79 (about a month old) when I barely used it for 3 times (Battery issues & alot more but I cba explaining in this post).

Is it just me or the TW1 sound quality is horrible ? The app is even worst though, no folder sorting and 1 of my favourite song was missing only in the app lmao.

Could it also be that I got a faulty unit ? This can't be the quality of Shure. The difference between wired and TW1 is literally heaven & earth.

Thinking of upgrading 535 to 846 and stay wired 🤔

Connected using Poco F2 Pro (if that matters)

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 3:16 AM Post #357 of 595
So I've read through all 24 pages and most of the reviews to me were at least on the positive side.

I got my TW1 yesterday and started using it today, to be honest I'm really disappointed with the sound quality. Basically not much of a difference compared to any cheap IE Earphones available. Eg. Sennheiser CX300S.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not promoting sennheiser cause I just sold my MTW2 75th Anniversary Edition at a loss of $79 when I barely used it for 3 times (Battery issues & alot more but I cba explaining in this post).

Is it just me or the TW1 sound quality is horrible ? The app is even worst though, no folder sorting and 1 of my favourite song was missing only in the app lmao.

Could it also be that I got a faulty unit ? This can't be the quality of Shure. The difference between wired and TW1 is literally heaven & earth.

Thinking of upgrading 535 to 846 and stay wired 🤔

Connected using Poco F2 Pro (if that matters)

That’s surprising, since I understand the Poco F2 Pro has the Aptx codec.

I have not tested the Tw1 with my SE535, but the sound quality using the SE846 with iPhone 11 Pro Max is great.

However, I did have problems getting a good ear canal seal. The TW1 rubber straps are quite rigid and tended to pull out my spinfit double flanges (breaking the seal resulting in tinny sq). I switched to large Comply professional P-series, which have 50% longer tips. That solved the seal problem for me.

PS: I haven’t used the Shure app except for the initial setup. I play music through Tidal.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #358 of 595
That’s surprising, since I understand the Poco F2 Pro has the Aptx codec.

I have not tested the Tw1 with my SE535, but the sound quality using the SE846 with iPhone 11 Pro Max is great.

However, I did have problems getting a good ear canal seal. The TW1 rubber straps are quite rigid and tended to pull out my spinfit double flanges (breaking the seal resulting in tinny sq). I switched to large Comply professional P-series, which have 50% longer tips. That solved the seal problem for me.

PS: I haven’t used the Shure app except for the initial setup. I play music through Tidal.

For me the fit is perfect, no discomfort at all even after hours. I'm using the M soft flex sleeves that came with the 535. The only issue for me right now is the sound quality that sounds so close to cheap IE Earphones.

Like wired the volume is loud enough for me around 20-30.

TW1 at 100% is equivalent to 35-40 for wired, disappointing but I guess I just have to go 85-100 for the desired level.

Even the MTW2 is louder than this at 50.

I'm gonna try pairing with my S9+ later tonight and see the results for volume/ sound quality.

EDIT: As mentioned by others in previous pages, the battery drain on the right seems to be way faster as well. Which kinda sucks, I'm on L 63% and R 41% 🤔

Okay let's just say it's the Poco F2 Pro that's TRASH. My old S9+ is louder lmao.

The difference is about 20-25% volume, so Poco 85% to match S9+ 60 or so. **** my phone cause I just bought it even. Gonna test it on desktop next.

EDIT 2: On PC the quality is actually close to wired. There's still a slight difference of course, in quality and volume level.

On the other hand, volume difference between wired and TW1 on the Poco F2 Pro is a massive facepalm. I only need 20% on wired and 80% for TW1.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #359 of 595
Sorry to hear your experience with the TW1 has been so bad. For me, the sound quality difference between wireless and wired is pretty subtle, and I don’t think I’ve ever pushed the volume above 50%. I listen exclusively via iOS (AAC).

Have you verified what codec the TW1 is using, via your source device? If it’s defaulting to SBC it could definitely sound poor, as you described. That might also be why it sounds much better for you via PC compared to whatever device you were using previously. Also, in the Shure app, you can set which IEMs you’ve connected to the TW1 and that’ll scale the volume appropriately.

As for playing music using the Shure app, on iOS at least, there are system limitations regarding which songs it can actually display (must be iTunes Purchased or iCloud Music Library Matched, or it won’t display)... maybe that’s related to your experience with the song that was missing.

Oct 30, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #360 of 595
I did unlocked the developer options on my phone and tried to change the bluetooth codec to aptX HD etc. but it keeps reverting back to Qualcomm® aptX™ audio. Even AAC keeps reverting back to aptX audio. I felt the quality drop even lower for a moment after selecting AAC though.

On my S9+ I didn't check after connecting but it should be aptX as well. In the Shure app I selected the correct IEM which was the SE535 but that didn't really help.

Out of 109 music that I have in my library it was only 1 particular song, but it's fine I guess. For playing music right now, I'm using the default music app on the phone and turning up the volume. Since now I know that it's this new phone which sucks and not the TW1.

Off topic: My earbuds feels loose and I can easily turn around when wired or even to the new TW1 adapter. Over the past 5-6 years I've only disconnected it like a total of 5-6 times so I think it's really loose. I did get audio cut a few times but that rarely happens, it just happens out of nowhere for a moment then it's fine for the whole day without any additional interruption. Is there a way to fix it or I can just ignore it since it's not really causing any issue so far other than it being loose and a very rare chance of audio cutting off (when wired) once in a blue moon.

Apologies if im not supposed to include that off topic here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back