Sennheiser MOMENTUM True Wireless 2 (MTW2)
May 9, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #76 of 228
The player does this upscaling in its DAC processing. When you BT, you're bypassing the sources DAC and using the BT headphone's DAC. So I don't see this happening. But if you're happy with it, guess that's all that matters :p
Well, thanks, that's the way I look at it too :)

I did want to share my experience though, and I'll add more later when I have more time with them. I've got till June 27th to return the MTW2's - plenty of time to change my mind again. :wink:

It would be nice if FiiO gave a break down on how "All to DSD" integrates into the audio processing chain for each media type - right now this is all I can find:

"When it's enabled, all the non-DSD audio data will be upgraded to DSD format before output. But this will also significantly increase the power consumption and reduce the battery life by half."

I understand that the Bluetooth codec used to stream data to the MTW2's is fixed, but what about the audio data stream coming from Tidal/Amazon? - or the file stored on the M15 by Tidal/Amazon? - or audio data files stored on the M15 not served through Tidal/Amazon?, these data streams are collected by the M15 and then streamed via selected codec to the MTW2's. The BT codec encoding happens at the end of the M15's processing chain.

The audio streams and audio data files aren't encoded in the BT codec until the M15 encapsulates the PCM stream into the selected codec to transmit to the BT receiver - MTW2's.

Without more info, I'm relying on the "ALL" in "ALL to DSD" as really meaning what it's saying, all Audio is converted to DSD64 and processed - hence the extra heat generation from increased compute.

"In ALL to DSD mode, PCM will be converted to DSD64 output."

@FiiO would you please help us figure out where "All to DSD" affects the data stream? Will "All to DSD" affect the M15 Bluetooth output?

M15 Manual:
M15 Manual - All to DSD.JPG

M11 Pro Manual:
M11 Pro Manual - All to DSD.JPG

M11 Manual:
M11 Manual - All to DSD.JPG

Last edited:
May 17, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #79 of 228
I decide finishing my comparison last night because you thinking my comments in the past helping you, and I'm thinking you wanting to know soon my opinion (I understand this feeling). I going to bed very late last night because is your fault!

This is the short answer. The mtw2 and mw07 plus costing the same, 299,00 euros here in Europe. For me the mw07plus is the winner, this is very clear for me.

This is long answer now. The sound is very good in both iems. I speak about this difference in the sound later down in this post. For me the 2 iems offering the best sound in bt earphones, and better than many expensive (bt) headphones. I prefer mw07 sound only a little more.

The problems with mtw2: The battery in the earphones is never 7 hours like sennheiser is saying. I getting 5h 15m or 5h 25m maximum and I don't using ambient or anc modes! With the mw07 plus I getting normally 9 hours or more in the same situation. This is very, very big difference, is almost the double. Master 7 dynamic saying 10 hours and 9 or 9,5 is close with reality, 5 or 5,5 from suppose 7 isn't close with the specifications of sennheiser.

The volume is sometimes not sufficient loud. This is for some classical music or old albums of rock music, is more problematic when the musical moments are quiet. This is more and very important in classical music. For the modern recordings mtw2 is sufficient loud because the music is recorded very loud in 20 or more years.

It is hiss when you using anc with mtw2. This is strange, is very strange because the anc is very, very bad, but even here I hearing hiss!

Anc is terrible. The isolation of the mtw2 is good because the iem is inside in the ears, is designed in this way, is not because anc is on! I have making effort really strong for hearing the difference! I'm using my fan in 4 settings and I finally hear a difference, but the difference is nothing really, isn't obvious, you must paying a lot of attention. The anc isn't real in mtw2 and that is the reality. And, like I saying before, I hearing hiss with the anc on too!

The mtw2 is better buying decision than mtw1, this is obvious. More battery in the earphones and in the case. I can't testing the problem of the battery of the model 1 now with model 2 because I using the model 2 every day, but the improvement is many probable because this is big, big problem with model 1.

The comfort is better too, the earphones little more small, only a little, but this making real difference in experience. With model 1 I having little (not big) pain in outside of my ears after only 30 or 45 minutes and I needing resting after 1,5 hours.

The volume modulation of the mtw2 is better, isn't jumping big steps like model one. And is nice sennheiser making possible you don't tapping by mistake so the action is waiting little more long time for activation. In model 1 sometimes this is little frustration, this mistake the tapping and you are activating something you don't wanting.

Is nice you can changing the functions of the tapping now in at the app, but, and I don't understanding the reason, the equaliser is very bad still, isn't different than in model 1.

The mw07 plus is better for me for this reasons:

The construction is many better, the earphones and the case having really very good quality, you feeling this is very good quality product. The mwt2 isn't feel cheap exactly but isn't sensation of premium construction in the earphones or the case.

The touch buttons in the mw07 plus are outside, isn't tapping. This important aspect after 6 months is big difference, and is one aspect I love completely in this earphones. The sensation is very clear when you putting the volume up or down or you're playing the next or the previous track or you're putting ambient or anc on or off. The buttons isn't make sound or click like you can hearing in mw07 model 1, but in model 2 (plus) is quiet completely, you only feeling very clear what you're activating.

The maximum volume in mw07 plus isn't loud like some iems, but is very clearly more loud than mtw2! For me I never having problems with the maximum volume with mw07 plus in 6 months, never. In the few days with mtw2 yes, sometimes, isn't a lot, but yes, sometimes.

The battery of the mw07 plus is very better than mtw2, this is true in the earphones and in the beautiful design and construction of the metal case. With the mw07 plus you obtaining close of 40 hours like the specifications the manufacturer is saying. With sennheiser you're not obtaining close to 28 hours of the specifications. This is bad for a top of the quality bt earphone, specially when this is the second model!

The sound. The sound of the mtw2 is very, very good, and in my memory isn't different from the model 1, this is very good sennheiser isn't change the sound. But for me the mw07 plus is sounding better, not a lot more better, but yes, better. the mw07 plus is having more instrument separation, and in complicated passage or the music very busy with many instruments this is more evident. But the mwt2 is having a little more big sound and sometimes a little more deep in the stage. I think mtw2 is more exciting in sound for the quick impression specially in pop music, is little more big, but mw07 plus is more accuracy, subtlety and hi-fi, better definition.

The anc of the mw07 plus in my opinion isn'y very good comparing with bt headphones like bose and sony, but when I comparing with mtw2 then mw07 plus anc is very good! This explaining only how I think anc in mtw2 really is, is very terrible.

When I thinking of the complete product, for me the mw07 plus is very clearly the more better iem.
Thanks for the detailed comparison. You almost had me buying the mw07 plus, until I realised it doesn’t support AAC. As an iPhone user that’s a deal breaker to be tied to SBC. Bizarre they did that.

May 20, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #80 of 228
Hello everyone! Here are some improvements to the new Momentum True Wireless 2 over the original MTW, as well as answers we found to questions people have been asking.

-The sound tuning is identical to MTW1, since we are using an identical driver and identical acoustical space around the driver, despite the overall size reduction of the earbuds.
- To connect the two earpieces, MTW2 uses Bluetooth instead of NFMI. Performance and power consumption of new BT chip generation has significantly improved!
-Battery life is 7h/28h (measured with iPhone/ AAC codec / ANC&TH off). Adding other modes and features such as Transparent hearing and ANC on use more battery... due to how many variables there are, we don't have exact figures to share, but with ANC on the earpieces will run around 1 to 1.5 hours less.
-The new chip does not support aptX LL, but we do work with the Bluetooth Latency Compensation feature on iOS and Android devices. By this, the audio delay is communicated back to the source and video is delayed by the same amount, and therefore music videos, podcasts, Youtube, Netflix, and even Twitch streams will actually have close to zero latency out of sync. Our next firmware update, FW 4.6, should optimize the sync even more accurately. This feature doesn't help real-time usage like gaming, nor does PC or Mac support it, so in those situations the latency will be between 200 ms and 300 ms (depending on codec used). For the typical on-the-go use of true wireless headphones, the Bluetooth Latency Compensation will be very suitable, and was worth the leap in battery runtime.
-A very few people might recognize a very low hiss sound with the MTW2. The MTW1 did measure a little bit lower, and could not be fully avoided with the MTW2's new Bluetooth chipset and ANC, but both measure quite low and most of the time will not be perceived while audio is playing at normal listening volumes. With the next FW 4.6 we managed to reduce the hiss for some causes, but some may still hear it.
-Hinge stability of the charging case is improved.
-When not in use, the battery drain on standby was addressed with MTW2, but will still have quality of life features like auto power on and fast Bluetooth connection as the MTW1 did. It required a new generation of Bluetooth chip hardware to achieve this.
-Standby battery life is at least 60 days, compared to about 7 days with the MTW1.
I notice the white noise only coming from the left earbud, before and after firmware, why is that??, if you were able to keep the right earbud without the white noise why would you not remove it from the left?, its so annoying coming from just one earbud, it either should be there on both or completely removed, you mentioned that because of the new Bluetooth chipset you weren't able to remove the white noise but that doesn't make sense because like I mentioned that there's no white noise on the right earbud, does the right earbud have a different chipset??, please explain.

May 27, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #82 of 228
Thanks for the detailed comparison. You almost had me buying the mw07 plus, until I realised it doesn’t support AAC. As an iPhone user that’s a deal breaker to be tied to SBC. Bizarre they did that.

I'm sorry I only seeing your post today. I reading in some place the mw07 plus is having aac codec but isn't showing in box or the specifications, I don't know if this is true or not. I use with my iPhone always and the sound is excellent. When I use with my macbook pro sometimes (with aptx codec) I can't hearing difference in the sound quality with my iPhone.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #84 of 228
I bought my white pair as soon as they were available. I'm having some issues now, and am not sure whether to send them back for repair. First of all, "Sidetone" only works with the right earphone (while on phone calls with iPhone X). I can't hear my voice through my left earphone while on a call, no matter what I do. I also can't seem to toggle Sidetone off/on while I'm on a call. Also, since the last firmware update, I can no longer easily toggle on/off ANC by tapping the right earphone 3X. It just doesn't activate. I have to hit it like four times, and then wait a while, and then sometimes it goes off/on. I must say however, ANC does seem more effective since the most recent software update. And I continue to be impressed by the overall SQ of these earphones.

Jun 7, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #85 of 228
Hey everyone.

I recently conducted a poll on reddit (I won't link it here incase it's not allowed).

Basically, it appears that the issues regarding noise cancelling seem to be fixed with the newest firmware update (4.7.0).

Prior to firmware 4.7.0, I was almost unable to detect if the noise cancelling was turned on or not.

Now, it's a night and day difference.

Can everyone else who is having issues with ANC please update your firmware and report back? It seems like the issue has been resolved!

@Sennheiser if this is all true, then thank you!

Jun 8, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #86 of 228
Jun 8, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #87 of 228
Anyone see a good deal on these? I’m ready to pull the trigger but it’d be cool to get ’em for less than $299 on Amazon

thanks!
I've not seen the MTW2's - when I could find them in stock - anywhere for less than MSRP of $299 + tax, which came out for me to be $366.13

Brand new last generation MTW 1's for $159.98 from BB:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sennhe...adphones-silver-black/6311203.p?skuId=6311203

Update: BB raised the MTW 1's price to $189.98
Hey everyone.

I recently conducted a poll on reddit (I won't link it here incase it's not allowed).

Basically, it appears that the issues regarding noise cancelling seem to be fixed with the newest firmware update (4.7.0).

Prior to firmware 4.7.0, I was almost unable to detect if the noise cancelling was turned on or not.

Now, it's a night and day difference.

Can everyone else who is having issues with ANC please update your firmware and report back? It seems like the issue has been resolved!

@Sennheiser if this is all true, then thank you!
Well, that's nice Too bad I already got my $366 back from returning the MTW 2's and rolled that audiophile investment money over into Dunu DK2001's. :)

At least for me, in my particular "I've already bought it and returned" phase, I'll probably wait till the MTW 2's are down around $178, after the MTW 3's are released...

The MTW 2's did sound great though, and with noise canceling now working...

But man, $299 for MTW 2's or $299 for Dunu DK2001's with interchangeable connectors, I'm counting on the DK2001's delivering much better sound.

And, my ordered DK2001's come with 2.5mm, 3.5mm, and 4.4mm connectors on Silver Litz wire, all I need is a BTR5, tiny BTR3k, or a DAP to drive them.

The DK2001's come in Green as well...and they are "open back" sound stage improved...

Oh, yeah, DK2001's need wires and the MTW 2's are wireless, so there's that. :owl:

Update: Drop has added the MTW 2's at a *huge* "discount"... $300! :scream_cat:
https://drop.com/buy/sennheiser-momentum-true-wireless-2
https://drop.com/featured/sennheiser

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #90 of 228
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back