Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Oct 24, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #511 of 3,594
Im trying to make the volume/mic controlls to work on a samsung galaxy s3 but it won't work... there are apps to download that let you use the mic button as a next/previous track and so on, but the volume up and down just doesn't want to work... any ideas?

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #512 of 3,594
Listening to Kokomo by Beach Boys with Momentum via the Grace M903 at 60 level.
The steel drums are strong and nearly as definitive as with the HD800, which I immediately compared to at a Grace M903 level 68.
The soundstage was identical to the HD800 with this song.  
The beautiful layered Beach Boy signature sound came through the Momentum so well I can count the singers!

Nearly a week now with the Momentum!

Oct 25, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #514 of 3,594
Quote:
SOUNDSTAGE that big on the Momentum? Identical to HD800...? O_O

The soundstage of the HD800 is supposedly wider than the Stax SR-009. I'd be rather surprised with this claim :D. I've had the Momentums for almost a month now and to me the soundstage is smaller than the V-Moda M-100 (and I'm tempted to say smaller than the Sony MDR-1Rs too but I'd need another listen to confirm).

Au contraire, the Momentums sound congested to me. Despite that, there's till room for the Momentums in my collection.

Edit: I noticed Paul did say "with this song", so maybe it's the track itself (or that version of the mastering, etc.), but not a generalisation of Momentum's soundstage.

Oct 25, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #516 of 3,594
Guys,  it's just with that song Kokomo and my entire setup plus a Momentum at the end.
Mind you, it's Beach Boys, limited stereo material.

Oct 25, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #517 of 3,594
Maybe you could listen to Pink Floyd Dark Side of The Moon for us and do another comparision with the Hd 800.

Oct 25, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #518 of 3,594
I did that days ago.  Dark Side as well as Led Zep IV are some of my sampling tracks for equipment.  Frankly, I do not enjoy listening to Dark Side with any headphone, not even with my SR-009.  Alan Parsons' multi-tracks Dark Side is best enjoyed with free space and speakers.  I just do not get the scope of the cinematic experience with headphones when the source is Dark Side.

Now, in terms of which headphone does a better job.  That would clearly be the HD800 with the Cary 300SEI.

The Momentum is great unless you have never heard Dark Side on the HD800 before.
It sort of like watching 720p instead of 1080p.  

Quote:
Maybe you could listen to Pink Floyd Dark Side of The Moon for us and do another comparision with the Hd 800.

Oct 25, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #519 of 3,594
Hey, Jude:
(Sounds like a song, eh?)  It was great meeting you at RMAF and I hope you didn't take offense at my ribbing over the expired offer on Head-Fi recently.  Anyway, it was really a pleasure visiting with you for a few minutes and I must say I am very impressed with the quality of your site and your reviews.  I have been interested in the new Momentum headphone since it was first announced and your timely and thoughtful review really is helpful in deciding if this 'phone is right for me.
Thanks and keep up the good work!

Don
P.S.  You asked and I couldn't remember my screen name, so now  you know!

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #522 of 3,594
I'm having a hard time believing these guys isolate as well as the SE535 and have the soundstage of an HD800....

I'm glad you guys like them though!

Oct 26, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #523 of 3,594
The Momentum having isolation as well as SE535 and soundstage of HD800 are somewhat a far stretch because I have them. The HD25 Amperior isolates better than the Momentum.

The Momentum is a comfy pair, but isolation is just above average, assuming SE535 and HD25 are very good since one is an IEM and the latter, a clamping DJ headphone. Soundstage-wise, it's more toward the HD650 line, and its clarity is more HD700. HD800 soundstage is somewhat far-off... because the HD800s have way bigger soundstage. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back