Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Oct 3, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #317 of 3,594
Quote:
These will start to trickle in to most Magnolia Home Theater stores this week.  Keep an eye out!  Unfortunately though, they will not be on live demo.  

That's good enough. In home demo for 30 days with your own gear and music is even better than their "live" demo.

Oct 3, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #318 of 3,594
Guys, what's the fit like on these headphones? The Amperiors (and HD25s, of course) fit on my head perfectly with a comfortable clamping strength unlike other reviews I've heard. I have a very thin head and many headphones, like the AIAIAI TMA-1s slip straight off my head :/ I haven't had the chance to listen to a pair as they haven't gone up on display at my local Apple store and I'm not sure I'll be allowed to open a box to try them :wink: cheers

Oct 3, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #319 of 3,594
Quote:
You are 100% correct, just frustrated I can't find these or several of the headphones I am considering in store to audition.

Make a trip to CanJam. All the headphones you want to hear in one location, and have a holiday at the same time.

Oct 3, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #320 of 3,594
The MDR-1 and M-100 looks really awesome, I'll have to hold out until I read some reviews on them. Any idea what the prices on them are yet?

There are 3 different models of the Sony MDR-1R. The base model (there's also a noise cancelling and a Bluetooth model) starts around 250-300 USD I think? More details here.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/625015/sony-has-new-headphones-mdr-1r

Oct 3, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #321 of 3,594
I've been looking for a pair of cans for the office as my Westone ES5s are just far too much of a hassle to keep taking in and out with people constantly dropping by. The ES5s are also far too distracting to work to as they forcefully DEMAND one's full undivided attention. I find them to not be the best match for the office.

To replace the ES5s at the office, I've been looking for something that sounded great, looked great, did not require an amp, was comfortable/compatible with glasses, and isolated reasonably well. I auditioned a significant number of mid-fi cans including but not limited to everything at Best Buy and the Apple Store. Some of which I bought (most recently the AKG K550) for extended auditions and ended up returning.

I'll start out by saying what I believe should be obvious: the MOMENTUMs are not for you if you are looking for neutrality or an expansive soundstage. The MOMENTUMs are sealed, and are not reference-grade critical listening cans nor are they marketed as such.

However, what they may lack in analytics is made up for in musicality. The MOMENTUMs are absolutely phenomenal for the use cases that they were designed for.

The MOMENTUMs are a lot of fun: they are visceral, pleasurable, stylish, and comfy. Sennheiser has characterized them as "rich and detailed," and I have to agree. The mids are forward and the highs are neither harsh nor fatiguing. If you like bass, you'll probably like these cans. The bass is not muddy, bloated or over-bearing; it's tight and punchy. However, don't expect quite the level of texture and sub-bass that you might find elsewhere.

The MOMENTUMs, for me, are perfect for listening to while at the office. They let me get into the "zone", energize me, wrap me in a productive bubble, and isolate chatty coworkers. I want my environment to completely drop away, leaving just me and my work, and they do just that.

All in all, out of all of the cans I've auditioned, the MOMENTUMs are the ones I'm keeping.

Oct 3, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #322 of 3,594
Quote:
Guys, what's the fit like on these headphones? The Amperiors (and HD25s, of course) fit on my head perfectly with a comfortable clamping strength unlike other reviews I've heard. I have a very thin head and many headphones, like the AIAIAI TMA-1s slip straight off my head :/ I haven't had the chance to listen to a pair as they haven't gone up on display at my local Apple store and I'm not sure I'll be allowed to open a box to try them :wink: cheers

I would have said that the fit was perfect.  The first pair of these I tried on had equal pressure all the way around the ear cup.  But in using a different pair this week it seems as though the bottom part of the ear cup lifts off the skin a little bit.  This obviously affects the seal, and thus the impact, of the music.  I am not sure if it's just me, or if maybe the curve in the headband is not as pronounced.  Either way, they do have a lighter clamping force than the Amperior.  Though I felt the Amperior was a little harsh in that regard anyway.  Hope this helps.

Oct 3, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #323 of 3,594
Quote:
There are 3 different models of the Sony MDR-1R. The base model (there's also a noise cancelling and a Bluetooth model) starts around 250-300 USD I think? More details here.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/625015/sony-has-new-headphones-mdr-1r

The Sony MDR-1R retails at $299 USD. The other two models are called MDR-1RBT and MDR-1RNC, respectively.

Oct 3, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #326 of 3,594
Quote:
These will start to trickle in to most Magnolia Home Theater stores this week.  Keep an eye out!  Unfortunately though, they will not be on live demo.  

Just curious if this is optimism or if you have specific information?  I don't want to get my hopes up for availability of another new headphone that isn't happening yet.

Oct 3, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #329 of 3,594
I wasn't speculating.  I was asking if you were speculating about Momentum arriving in Magnolia this week or if you know this to be true?  I ask because Best Buy does not even have Momentum in their system yet.

No man, I was saying that I don't waste my time speculating. No worries!:smile: Yes I am sure. If your Magnolia is a Magnolia Home Theater and has the live headphone display, these will be stocked at your store. Inventory is going to trickle in this week. They are in the system, retail store employees just cannot see them yet.

Oct 3, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #330 of 3,594
Quote:
No man, I was saying that I don't waste my time speculating. No worries!
smile.gif
Yes I am sure. If your Magnolia is a Magnolia Home Theater and has the live headphone display, these will be stocked at your store. Inventory is going to trickle in this week. They are in the system, retail store employees just cannot see them yet.

Thanks again.  At least I will be able to try out one of the 6 headphones on my list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back