Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Mar 30, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #3,452 of 3,594
I doubt I can do that. I need to be moved or affected in some way when I listen to music and I feel that is the job of the headphones. But the Momentum version 1 just did not do that for me. Don't get me wrong, its drivers are good, I could detect details I had never heard before. But it's just too laidback and "gentlemanly" for me. Hope to get it sold soon.

Apr 6, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #3,453 of 3,594
Mine arrivef last Wednesday. Ivory model, gen 1. After reading so many reviews here and all around the internet, I fell in love with them without even trying them myself (no shop in my city has them on display), so I chose them as my entry to the headfi world, plus now that they're at a discount on Amazon and have free shipping (kudos to Amazon, free shipping arrived as quick as the über expensive express shipping), it seemed like a logical choice. Now that they arrived, the fact that the earcups had no plastic stickers makes me think I might have gotten fakes (even though I bought them directly from Amazon). I'm not sure, the materials do feel premium, specially the earcup buttons which are so shiny.

So, here I go. First day of use. So far they sound good. Not mind blowing as I expected by the praising reviews. I guess I need to give them some burn-in... or else I did get fakes. For the record, I first tested them by listening to The Beatles Revolver album, mono vinyl (2014 pure analog remaster), now I'm listening to Bob Dylan's 1978 Street Legal on my PC (FLAC, ripped from 2013 remastered CD). While I did discover a couple of new sounds on the Beatles vinyl, Dylan sounds just the same as it sounded on my previous $20 phones (I was unable to AB because my cheap 'phones died a couple of weeks ago, but if there is any difference, I didn't notice it). I'm still curious, did I get fakes? Do I need to burn them in (most reviews claim they sound awesome right from the box)? Is my hearing that bad that I cannot appreciate the beauty and the detail?

I had not listened to them since day 1 due to time reasons, but I bought it directly from Amazon (no 3rd party seller)... Regarding the comfort issue, there is something about them indeed. My ears fit just fine (I happen to be a midget with very small ears), but I still feel too much pressure on them after a while. Nothing that hurts too much, but makes me have second thoughts about my purchase. I will give them a couple of days to burn in and adjust to my ears.

Apr 6, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #3,454 of 3,594
 I guess I need to give them some burn-in... or else I did get fakes.... I'm still curious, did I get fakes? 

Post a couple of pictures. One of the logos on the headband, the other take off the right ear pad and see if there is a Sennheiser 's logo' hologram and s/n.

beerchug.gif

Apr 6, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #3,455 of 3,594

Post a couple of pictures. One of the logos on the headband, the other take off the right ear pad and see if there is a Sennheiser 's logo' hologram and s/n.

beerchug.gif

The earpads seem really firm on their place, I've not been able to remove them in the few tries I've made so far (I'm afraid of breaking them and voiding the warranty). But I have taken a couple of outside pics. Unlike the previous post a couple of pages ago, here the stitches seem perfect. As a new member I am unable to post pics directly, but give me a while and I'll post them.

To add a bit more details about my purchase, when I first ordered them, the page said at the top, ¨Ships from and sold by Amazon¨, and my invoice says ¨Sold by Amazon Export Sales, Inc.¨, so I assume that would prove it was Amazon (official Sennheiser retailer per Sennheiser's own website) rather than a third party, thus there should be nothing wrong with the seller.

The box has the hologram and the QR scan matched the code in it. BUUUUT, Sennheiser's website says that the last character in the code must be repeated in the background, and while I can se something SOMEWHAT RESEMBLING a Y (the last letter in my holgraphic code), the Y is not that clear; it appears as if it was scratched or washed out, making me ponder whether there actually was a Y but the packaging got damaged and the letter scratched, or the bootlegger copied the marking without knowing it was supposed to be the same letter as the last in the code. That is my biggest concern. I contacted Sennheiser but I haven't got a response so far.

The sound, however, has improved so far. Now I do seem to get a clear difference and improvement in sound quality.

EDIT: I just managed to remove the right earcup. It does feature a serial number matching the one on the bottom of the box, and the Sennheiser logo. But I'm still suspicious about the hologram...

Apr 7, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #3,456 of 3,594
 Regarding the comfort issue, there is something about them indeed. My ears fit just fine (I happen to be a midget with very small ears), but I still feel too much pressure on them after a while

I just stretched mine out a bit. 
Since the inner headband is all metal it just takes a little stretch to make the pressure less.

Apr 7, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #3,457 of 3,594
They do take awhile to get comfortable. For me the key is getting position just right. Once I do there good for a long time.If they do start to bother me usually just a little adjustment of the cup takes care of it, They are very adjustable.

Apr 7, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #3,458 of 3,594
So, here's what the driver looks like:

The earcups and headband look pretty legit as well:

And this is how the hologram on the box looks, which makes me feel suspicious about its authenticity (see how the big Y looks washed out):

So, what do you think? Do they look legit?

Apr 7, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #3,459 of 3,594
Look Legit to me. I would try some different sources if possible. If still bad maybe get replaced.

Apr 8, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #3,460 of 3,594
Hmm... I didn't realise there was meant to be a holographic sticker there on the inside. 
Mine never had one. (but I bought mine 1 month after these came out, in Germany, on the highstreet, so there's zero chance they're fake - also compared them directly with a number of high-street demo models)

The leather looks too grainy to me... a bit cheaper quality. 
The stitching around the headband looks bad to me. On mine, EVERY stitch is uniform in size. Your stitches clearly get smaller around the inside curve.
Of course they could have just got sloppy with manufacturing practices.

Also your driver seems to have white rear vents on the bottom left and top right.... MINE only has a white vent on the top right.
BUT again, this could just be because mine is the original version and the design may have changed slightly?

Apr 8, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #3,461 of 3,594
If it helps, I just removed my earned from my Momentum.

It's the Toro Rosso special edition that was handed out to VIPs at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2013 (and no, unfortunately I wasn't one of the VIPs, but I still got my hands on one).

Hope it helps....

Cheers,
K

Apr 8, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #3,462 of 3,594
Its going to hard to go buy the stitching. I just cheeked mine naked eye and magnifying glass. Looked more uniform than both shown. That could be distortion from camera or just manufacturing issue. Other than that I say they look legit  As far as the hologram I read somewhere that Senn said that was possible to fake.

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #3,464 of 3,594
Why would a knockoff go to the trouble of faking a hologram? They're not after anyone who knows what one is.

There after anyone with money. Better the fake the more they sell.

Apr 8, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #3,465 of 3,594
Why would a knockoff go to the trouble of faking a hologram? They're not after anyone who knows what one is.

You would be surprised how much work the fakers put in their products (not the performance, just the appearance) to look exactly like the original. You can buy fake Rolex watches that go up to 500 dollars, with real Swiss automatic movements (though not a Rolex movement of course) and really well machines cases, they copy every detail that makes you easily spot a fake, naturally.

Cheers,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back