Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Mar 9, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #3,421 of 3,594
Bought mine from Amazon as well and they were the same for the first few days. Bass distortion was very annoying, not sure if they burned in or earpads have broken in but they are much better now.

Good to hear. If these haven't improved vastly over the next few days, back they go...

EDIT: They are clearly fakes. Shipping these back to Amazon tomorrow.

Mar 10, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #3,425 of 3,594

EDIT: They are clearly fakes. Shipping these back to Amazon tomorrow.

Can you provide more information?
How do you know they're fake?
Pics?
(just curious)

Mar 10, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #3,426 of 3,594
The only real giveaway is the sound. It's horrible, and I don't mean in a relative way. There is a HUGE boost in upper bass/lower mids, and bass distorts easily at louder volumes. Detail is bad... Anything halfway sonically complex turns into mud.

Physically, they look quite convincing. However, the "leather" smells like chemicals and is a bit stiff. Everything else looks genuine.

EDIT: I'll post pics later tonight.

Mar 10, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #3,427 of 3,594
  The only real giveaway is the sound. It's horrible, and I don't mean in a relative way. There is a HUGE boost in upper bass/lower mids, and bass distorts easily at louder volumes. Detail is bad... Anything halfway sonically complex turns into mud.

Physically, they look quite convincing. However, the "leather" smells like chemicals and is a bit stiff. Everything else looks genuine.

EDIT: I'll post pics later tonight.

cheers

you'd be doing many people a great service by doing this since the fakes have found their way into official sales channels.
This might even account for some of the dreadful reviews/impressions that pop up from time to time 
redface.gif

Mar 11, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #3,429 of 3,594
  cheers

you'd be doing many people a great service by doing this since the fakes have found their way into official sales channels.
This might even account for some of the dreadful reviews/impressions that pop up from time to time 
redface.gif

Agreed, and I can't help but think the HD598 are in this same boat. Too many inconsistencies in the proper sound that most report vs the ones where people absolutely hate them. The worst part are that the bootlegs are improving the authentic look with better packaging and more consistency in the proper materials/ colours. It as if they troll site like this and learn from their mistakes.

One can easily find out if they have fakes or not by cross referencing the holographic tag and QR code with Sennheiser.

Mar 11, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #3,430 of 3,594

Agreed, and I can't help but think the HD598 are in this same boat. Too many inconsistencies in the proper sound that most report vs the ones where people absolutely hate them. The worst part are that the bootlegs are improving the authentic look with better packaging and more consistency in the proper materials/ colours. It as if they troll site like this and learn from their mistakes.

I can just imagine what goes on at alibaba.

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #3,431 of 3,594
Here are the pictures I took of the counterfeit Sennheiser Momentums I received. As you can see, they look pretty convincing.

Straight on:

From the top:

Side view:

Ear cup interior:

Ear cup side:

Regular cable:

Angled remote cable:

Back of remote:

Front of remote:

Box front:

Open box:

Container:

Back of container:

Open container:

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #3,432 of 3,594
Those look VERY legit with the exception of the threading on the case, which is too red. Take off the ear pads and take a picture. Does it have a holographic serial number and tape covering the screws? Maybe you just got a bad pair of refurbished or piss poor QC.

Edit: Upon actually looking at the larger views and not the thumbnails and comparing them to mine, the leather looks cheap and the red stitching along with the cable are also too red.

Edit 2: And the remote module is not right at all!
beerchug.gif

Mar 12, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #3,434 of 3,594
  Here are the pictures I took of the counterfeit Sennheiser Momentums I received. As you can see, they look pretty convincing.

Straight on:

Side view:

For me these are the two biggest alarm bells.

The 'straight on' picture shows HUGE wrinkles in the earpads - My momentum has one or two TINY wrinkles - they're almost totally smooth and flush looking.
The 'side view' picture shows bad stitching. The genuine momentum stitching is PERFECTLY straight. In the photo above you can quite clearly see the 5th stitch from the top left is NOT straight.
Also the 'inner' stitches get smaller as the go around the curve. Genuine model will have uniform length stitches all the way round. 

Mar 12, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #3,435 of 3,594

The 'straight on' picture shows HUGE wrinkles in the earpads - My momentum has one or two TINY wrinkles - they're almost totally smooth and flush looking.
The 'side view' picture shows bad stitching. 

Hey, what's wrong with wrinkles? Then again, mine used to be a lot smaller and have been used for more than a year... :p
Even after a year, my ear pads are more plush than the fakes. 

But yes, besides the uneven stitching on the fakes, the Sennheiser Logo on the band is not correct; it's silver and tall, whereas the reals are black and it's shorter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back