Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Apr 9, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #3,466 of 3,594
Its going to hard to go buy the stitching. I just cheeked mine naked eye and magnifying glass. Looked more uniform than both shown. That could be distortion from camera or just manufacturing issue. Other than that I say they look legit  As far as the hologram I read somewhere that Senn said that was possible to fake.

It's not the camera, the stitching does get smaller in the curve. But I don't think that proves them fake. I've watched several reviews on Youtube, and on close up, all the headbands feature smaller stitching on the curve, just like Koolpep's and my headband. So, unless renowned reviewers were sent fake copies, I think my stitches do match the real deal.

Also, I bought them directly from Amazon, not Amazon Warehouse:

Note the ¨Sold by Amazon.com LLC¨ legend in the order confirmation message (in contrast to ¨Amazon Warehouse¨, which some people have reported they got their fakes from). Although the invoice says "Amazon Export Sales¨, but I assume that is because I live outside the USA so thet needed to export the shipping. Unless Export Sales is a separate entity from Amazon.com, as Warehouse is. Any light on it? The confirmation order still says simply Amazon.com LLC.

So, I'm leaning toward believing they are real. I mean, after all, they came form Amazon (or not?), an authorized dealer.

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #3,467 of 3,594
Like I said they look legit to me. Thread prob different on piece to piece from manufacturing process. The metal on earcup liders looks smooth and finished and everything else looks good.

Apr 9, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #3,468 of 3,594
Well, now that my fears/paranoia of getting a fake are gone, it's time to give them some real listening. I'll spend the whole weekend burning them in and them give a proper opinion.

Thank you very much to everyone that contributed to my cause.

Apr 17, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #3,469 of 3,594
I think that if it was a fake you would "smell it" on the build quality immediately

Well, I've got these cans for 4 months and the principal defaut is that the comfort is limited, really

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #3,470 of 3,594
Now that my paranoia wore off, after a couple of weeks in my hands (or, should I say ears?) and about 150 hours of burn in, I think I can finally tell my impressions about the Momentum.

I have to admit that I had a rough start with these cans. Since this is my first quality set, and I migrated from a cheap, 20 bucks headphone, I expected that the improvement in sound would feel akin to upgrading from an old CRT TV (you know, the old, boxy ones) to a 1080p LED. Instead, it felt like I "only" switched from a CRT to a 720p LCD: sure, there was some improvement, but not the ear-opener I was promised. Therefore, I felt disappointed at first. Then the washed out logo on the box, and that's how I came to believe I got a fake...

However, after some time passed by and I got to listen to more and more music, I discovered their true potential. From Mozart to The Flaming Lips, from Frank Zappa to Café Tacuba... Listening to guitars, vocals, strings, video game music, in-your-face mixes, layered tracks... You name it, I came to love my Momentums.

So far I'm enchanted with the sound from this headphones. They're simply beautiful. Bass is powerful but it doesn't overshadow mids or highs. Treble sounds just perfect. Actually, they have a very balanced sound signature, if only a bit dark. While I do agree that on a couple of tracks bass felt a little muddy, it was an exception, never the rule.

Sound definition is superb . I'm discovering details I've never noticed before, even in songs I have listened for years. I know I might sound overreacting, but honestly, some songs feel like I'm listening them for the first time. Examples of this lay in the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds - most of the songs on it feature at least one instrument I never caught before; it was with that album when the Momentum finally blew my mind, the moment I knew I had made the right choice when I bought them instead of the Q701 (though I'm still looking forward to get an open can in the future).

And the design. Oh god, the design. They look beautiful. They have a gorgeous retro appearance that suits me to a T, especially when considering that I'm using these headphones for listening my 1960's vynils mainly. And I was lucky enough to be blessed with midget ears. They fit just fine inside the much controversial mini-earpads. While I admit that after one hour or so I start to feel a little pressure, I simply rotate the earpads one millimeter (without taking them off, so I don't need to stop listening nor pause the recording) and everything is solved.

Like many people have said, the earpads are really small, and unless you have midget ears like me, I would not recommend you these headphones (you can buy the new Momentum 2, but I don't know if $200 more is worth for the same product only for bigger earpads). But if your ears fit inside, there you go. This is the headphone to get. I don't think other set of closed cans will give you such a beautiful sound plus a sleek appearance for $200. While I'm aware they're no hi-fi item (I believe they do qualify for mid-fi tier though, but I'm a noob in here, so you tell me), they're awesome headphones for their price (bought them for $220, and now they only cost $200).

... Actually, that is my only regret - only a couple of days after I purchased them, they got a price drop on Amazon. But that has nothing to do with the headphones themselves, and even at the $220 I bought them for it was a bargain; especially when their retail price in Mexico (where I live) is MXNP 6,500 (around $420, nearly double the Amazon price, and even pricier than the newer Momentum 2).

All I can say is that I love my Momentum, a beautiful sound inside a beautiful can. For a first in the headfi world, I could not have had a better welcome

Apr 18, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #3,471 of 3,594
Now that my paranoia wore off, after a couple of weeks in my hands (or, should I say ears?) and about 150 hours of burn in, I think I can finally tell my impressions about the Momentum.

I have to admit that I had a rough start with these cans. Since this is my first quality set, and I migrated from a cheap, 20 bucks headphone, I expected that the improvement in sound would feel akin to upgrading from an old CRT TV (you know, the old, boxy ones) to a 1080p LED. Instead, it felt like I "only" switched from a CRT to a 720p LCD: sure, there was some improvement, but not the ear-opener I was promised. Therefore, I felt disappointed at first. Then the washed out logo on the box, and that's how I came to believe I got a fake...

However, after some time passed by and I got to listen to more and more music, I discovered their true potential. From Mozart to The Flaming Lips, from Frank Zappa to Café Tacuba... Listening to guitars, vocals, strings, video game music, in-your-face mixes, layered tracks... You name it, I came to love my Momentums.

So far I'm enchanted with the sound from this headphones. They're simply beautiful. Bass is powerful but it doesn't overshadow mids or highs. Treble sounds just perfect. Actually, they have a very balanced sound signature, if only a bit dark. While I do agree that on a couple of tracks bass felt a little muddy, it was an exception, never the rule.

Sound definition is superb . I'm discovering details I've never noticed before, even in songs I have listened for years. I know I might sound overreacting, but honestly, some songs feel like I'm listening them for the first time. Examples of this lay in the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds - most of the songs on it feature at least one instrument I never caught before; it was with that album when the Momentum finally blew my mind, the moment I knew I had made the right choice when I bought them instead of the Q701 (though I'm still looking forward to get an open can in the future).

And the design. Oh god, the design. They look beautiful. They have a gorgeous retro appearance that suits me to a T, especially when considering that I'm using these headphones for listening my 1960's vynils mainly. And I was lucky enough to be blessed with midget ears. They fit just fine inside the much controversial mini-earpads. While I admit that after one hour or so I start to feel a little pressure, I simply rotate the earpads one millimeter (without taking them off, so I don't need to stop listening nor pause the recording) and everything is solved.

Like many people have said, the earpads are really small, and unless you have midget ears like me, I would not recommend you these headphones (you can buy the new Momentum 2, but I don't know if $200 more is worth for the same product only for bigger earpads). But if your ears fit inside, there you go. This is the headphone to get. I don't think other set of closed cans will give you such a beautiful sound plus a sleek appearance for $200. While I'm aware they're no hi-fi item (I believe they do qualify for mid-fi tier though, but I'm a noob in here, so you tell me), they're awesome headphones for their price (bought them for $220, and now they only cost $200).

... Actually, that is my only regret - only a couple of days after I purchased them, they got a price drop on Amazon. But that has nothing to do with the headphones themselves, and even at the $220 I bought them for it was a bargain; especially when their retail price in Mexico (where I live) is MXNP 6,500 (around $420, nearly double the Amazon price, and even pricier than the newer Momentum 2).

All I can say is that I love my Momentum, a beautiful sound inside a beautiful can. For a first in the headfi world, I could not have had a better welcome

The drivers in the momentum's are something fantastic! A great sounding closed portable headphone but heck, I use mine at my desktop too!

Apr 19, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #3,472 of 3,594
I read Tyll's review of the wireless version and I didn't think he was all that impressed, which is a shame because I was expecting glowing comments, at least matching that of the HP50 in passive mode. But he said they're mid-fi for their price range? Knowing that the wireless version of the M2 are a lot more expensive than the normal wired, that's understandable but what of the SQ?

I'm only looking at the wired versions - the charts of the M2 AEBT (passive) don't look as well controlled compared to the HP50 and FSP for example. i.e. sub-bass and 30hz response and speed.

At the moment, I'm placing all my faith in the words of MacedonianHero, that they really are (despite looking worse on paper) a good set of headphones that at least rival the sound quality of the HP50, but in a lighter weight, more attractive form.

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #3,473 of 3,594
I directly compared my original Momentum with the wireless new one (I listened to it WIRED - just unplugged my Momentum and plugged it into the display model), and I thought the new wireless one has less bass definition and a stronger emphasis on bass. 
The soundstage was larger, but at the sacrifice of definition I'm happy to keep listening to the original.

Might have something to do with the new ear pads which don't have the cloth-vents on the inside, but are totally leather. 

Apr 21, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #3,476 of 3,594
It very good for vocals in my opinion. Very detailed and not to much bass. Its my go to closed HP when not using my HD600s..

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #3,477 of 3,594
  It very good for vocals in my opinion. Very detailed and not to much bass. Its my go to closed HP when not using my HD600s..

I agree, the 600's and the momentum's have a very similar sound signature....I often swap between the two!

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #3,478 of 3,594

I agree, the 600's and the momentum's have a very similar sound signature....I often swap between the two!

I have both, similar, but IMO not very. The HD600 has a better mid and treble response. The bass of the HD600's is tighter and has less harmonic distortion. I'd say the HD600 is more neutral. Yes, I have both.

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #3,479 of 3,594
I have both, similar, but IMO not very. The HD600 has a better mid and treble response. The bass of the HD600's is tighter and has less harmonic distortion. I'd say the HD600 is more neutral. Yes, I have both.

Well, it's natural the HD600 has better sounds since it's an.open backed headphone, and way pricier.

For its current price, the Momentum is an excellent can with great sound.

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #3,480 of 3,594
Well, it's natural the HD600 has better sounds since it's an.open backed headphone, and way pricier.

For its current price, the Momentum is an excellent can with great sound.

You can find the HD600's on sale/coupon for as low as $239. Just missed the Fatwallet and SlickDeals low price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back