Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Jan 8, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #2,581 of 3,671
Anyone here with REV2 having reception problems? For some reason, I am getting reception problems on my REV2. I use my galaxy note 5 with my momentum 2 wireless. Usually, I place my phone on my jacket's lower right breast pocket and when I'm using my headphone. Turning my head to the right which blocks the line of sight of my phone to the bluetooth radio on my right earcup, my music stutters and after a while my headphone would disconnect from my phone. This only happens when I'm outside btw, at home I can get get at least 10-15 without line of sight before it begins stuttering.

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #2,582 of 3,671
With the REV02 the only time I get stuttering is walking in a very specific area of town, and only during a specific time of day. I walk in this exact same area in the morning and in the evening, and it only stutters in the evening. Literally, one block downtown. When I turn my head so the headphone is "towards" my phone, it stops. Very strange. Even with all those conditions, it's still sporadic.

There must be something that interferes with Bluetooth.

Jan 9, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #2,584 of 3,671
old post

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #2,585 of 3,671
Actually after testing my headphone with other devices, turns out that it was my Note 5 that was having problem.  Audio just stop when not in the line of sight (about 10ft).  Tested with older S4 and Tab Pro 8.4 and was able to get clear reception from the second floor of my house.

Jan 12, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #2,586 of 3,671
Anyone know of an Apt-X capable USB transmitter that works with the Momentum 2.0?

I tried using the Sennheisser BTD 500 USB and it fails to maintain connection long enough to be useful. I thought I must be doing something wrong but, amazingly, it turns out that the flagship Senn headphones are incompatible with the leading Senn Apt-X transmitter.

So if you have managed to find a transmitter that does work with these headphones in Apt-X mode please sing out. Don't want to waste more money or have hassle doing a product recall. Thanks.

Jan 12, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #2,587 of 3,671
  Anyone know of an Apt-X capable USB transmitter that works with the Momentum 2.0?

I tried using the Sennheisser BTD 500 USB and it fails to maintain connection long enough to be useful. I thought I must be doing something wrong but, amazingly, it turns out that the flagship Senn headphones are incompatible with the leading Senn Apt-X transmitter.

So if you have managed to find a transmitter that does work with these headphones in Apt-X mode please sing out. Don't want to waste more money or have hassle doing a product recall. Thanks.

I have not checked out the devices mentioned on this page, but here it is for you to look into... Hope it helps: http://www.head-fi.org/t/752906/bluetooth-transmitter-class-1-with-apt-x

Jan 13, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #2,588 of 3,671

I use this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JAZGSXY?psc=1 
It works well enough, haven't had it drop unless I am well away ~10m+ from the device or like two walls over, the driver size is like 400mb though and installation was a bit finicky. 

I typically have music playing from my phone and PC connected for notification pings or watching videos it auto switches seamlessly. 

Jan 15, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #2,589 of 3,671
Can someone educate me?

I purchased the Over Ear Wireless  and received them today. I am also getting a new phone next monday and I am contemplating either the iPhone 6S Plus or the Nexus 6P. Neither support AptX. My question is, what would be best in terms of pure audio quality over bluetooth.

My main source for music is Spotify on extreme quality. Will there be a difference with these two phones over bluetooth? Or is the M2 Wireless not worth it for me and should I just get the wired version? I know Apple supports AAC over bluetooth, but I am not sure that works with Spotify. I don't have any fancy equipment like Aptx receivers and such, I will only use these with my phone, laptop and desktop.

As you probably know by now, I am not even close to an audiophile. I owned the original momentums which I loved, but I had the cables break multiple times and my warranty is almost over, which is why I bought this one.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #2,590 of 3,671
  Can someone educate me?

I purchased the Over Ear Wireless  and received them today. I am also getting a new phone next monday and I am contemplating either the iPhone 6S Plus or the Nexus 6P. Neither support AptX. My question is, what would be best in terms of pure audio quality over bluetooth.

I could be incorrect, but since Bluetooth is a standard and it's the headphones doing the DAC wizardry, I think it'll be roughly the same either way from a Bluetooth perspective.

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #2,591 of 3,671
I haven't managed to get my Momentum 2s to work using Apt-X yet but, frankly, I'm not expecting it will make much difference anyway. It certainly doesn't with my other BT receivers/transmitters.

I don't think the flavour of BT transmitter will be the deciding factor anyway. As usual it's the quality and unique sound of the headphones that is key.

From a personal perspective I find the SQ on the Momentums (wired or wireless) comparable to what you can get for half the price with standard cans. For example I much prefer using my Senn HD25-1 II when at home. The killer feature of the Momentums is the Noise Cancelling. It really works and if you are on a train, plane or aeroplane, walking or jogging down a busy road or city street it makes all the difference.

* Thanks to beefturkey for the Apt-X dongle suggestion. Unfortunately the model (Azio BTD V401) isn't available in my region.

So....Anyone know of a Apt-X USB transmitter which is currently available in Europe?

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #2,592 of 3,671
The Azio dongle can simply be purchased on eBay. I got both the Azio and the Avantree from there. And I am in Europe :)

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #2,593 of 3,671
  Can someone educate me?

My main source for music is Spotify on extreme quality. Will there be a difference with these two phones over bluetooth? Or is the M2 Wireless not worth it for me and should I just get the wired version? I know Apple supports AAC over bluetooth, but I am not sure that works with Spotify. I don't have any fancy equipment like Aptx receivers and such, I will only use these with my phone, laptop and desktop.

As you probably know by now, I am not even close to an audiophile. I owned the original momentums which I loved, but I had the cables break multiple times and my warranty is almost over, which is why I bought this one.

They should sound pretty much the same (there could be SOME differences in the way it is eq'ed) because you won't be using the DAC in the phone, but in the M2. While AptX is pretty awesome to have, if you don't have access to it, you will probably not miss it. The M2 DOES sound awesome, but they are not really revealing enough to make THAT much of a difference when listening to w/AptX and w/out. They are known for being a very forgiving headphone.

I would not worry about missing out on anything if you picked either phone over the other. I would pick the phone you like best for all-around purposes, as neither phone is audiophile grade sound. They will both sound good with the M2. If you liked the M1, then you will love the M2, as (IMO) they are upgrades in almost every way over the M1 (I have had both).

If you can afford the difference between the M2 wireless, and the wired version, I would choose the wireless. This is just my opinion, though. I like having all the bells and whistles available.

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #2,594 of 3,671
  Can someone educate me?

I could be incorrect, but since Bluetooth is a standard and it's the headphones doing the DAC wizardry, I think it'll be roughly the same either way from a Bluetooth perspective.

You are right! By accident I stumbled upon a store nearby that had both on display for testing. So I downloaded Spotify, logged in with my account and tested about 10 songs on both. I favoured the sound of the Nexus 6P more, to my ears they were a bit more spacious and the bass was ever so slightly more present, which I can appreciate. Couple that with the fact that the Nexus is a lot cheaper than the iPhone and it's an easy decision for me! :D

They should sound pretty much the same (there could be SOME differences in the way it is eq'ed) because you won't be using the DAC in the phone, but in the M2. While AptX is pretty awesome to have, if you don't have access to it, you will probably not miss it. The M2 DOES sound awesome, but they are not really revealing enough to make THAT much of a difference when listening to w/AptX and w/out. They are known for being a very forgiving headphone.

I would not worry about missing out on anything if you picked either phone over the other. I would pick the phone you like best for all-around purposes, as neither phone is audiophile grade sound. They will both sound good with the M2. If you liked the M1, then you will love the M2, as (IMO) they are upgrades in almost every way over the M1 (I have had both).

If you can afford the difference between the M2 wireless, and the wired version, I would choose the wireless. This is just my opinion, though. I like having all the bells and whistles available.

While I can't speak about AptX just yet, you are right that they sound very much a like, bar the few differences I hear.

Fortunately I am not audiophile, because I wouldn't have half the money I needed to satisfy my needs then I think, haha :) I do really like the Momentum's though. They have a punchy bass without them drowning out the mids and highs, atleast not in the music I listen to. Years ago, when Beats were new and I knew even less about audio then I do now, I thought they sounded great (coming from a stellar pair of Sennheiser CX-300 in ears). Honestly it was more of a fashion statement, but at that time I was blown away by their sound. Afterwards I got the Skullcandy Aviator. It was half the price of the Beats Studio's, but to me they sounded much better. I got them over 3 years ago but I still have them as reserves as I still really like them.

Then I tried another pair of Sennheiser headphones and I was sold. These were the HD-25 (first version I think). Since then, I haven't tried much else!

Anyway, I got a bit off topic here. Thank you for your detailed post! I will stick with the wireless then! I saved up for it so I can afford the difference. I will store away my original Momentum's safely for backup purposes! :D

Jan 18, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #2,595 of 3,671
So, what alternative/replacement (especially longeR) cables emerged in this thread as viable good options? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back