Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Nov 30, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #2,506 of 3,671
  It would be great if someone had access to more documentation regarding the DAC.

If I remember to do this, I'll see if I can run the headphones with USB Audio Player Pro on my phone, which will tell you what the DAC supports. My phone has issues with external DACs, so if it doesn't work it's likely the phone's fault.

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #2,508 of 3,671
  It uses the Internal DAC of the CSR bluetooth chip.

If the CSR8675 is the chip that's in the momentum according the CSR it does support 24bit audio

http://www.csr.com/products/csr8675

if it's the CSR8670 there is no mention of it, so I would assume it doesn't
http://www.csr.com/products/63/csr8670

It can't be the BlueCore5 because that's Bluetooth 3.0 only. Does anyone have an idea on the DAC used in the momentum wireless AEBT ?

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #2,509 of 3,671
On the edge of purchasing these today and have an outstanding niggle I hope you fine people can help with.

Early reviews of the M2W discussed low volume levels when using an iPhone over Bluetooth. There was speculation this was caused by the EU volume cap.

Is this an issue? Has it been resolved by the REV02 revision?

Final question, if iDevices are the main use, should I be concerned by the lack of iPhone apt-x support and/or lack of M2W AAC support?

Thank you- I desperately want to buy these!

Dec 2, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #2,510 of 3,671
Early reviews of the M2W discussed low volume levels when using an iPhone over Bluetooth. There was speculation this was caused by the EU volume cap.

Final question, if iDevices are the main use, should I be concerned by the lack of iPhone apt-x support and/or lack of M2W AAC support?

I got my pair in the EU, and the max. volume of the M2W has always been deafening regardless of the connection, on both Mac and iPhone, whether while I used my faulty unit, or its replacement.

I personally hear no difference between AptX and SBC (the minimum you'll get).

Dec 4, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #2,511 of 3,671

No, this is definitely not an issue with my M2W model from the EU. The max volume is far more than I need. I cannot judge if it's good enough for you, but over Bluetooth it's not low at all.

Quote:

I have used my M2W with an iPhone 6 and old iPad with different iOS versions, and use it a lot with my MacBook Pro.
I've never had any problems connecting to my iDevices.
Regarding OSX, I've had no issues at all since I upgraded to El Capitano. Apt-X is not forced when connecting to OSX, but there's a workaround for that, and I an confirm that workaround indeed works. However, like wanderingsounds said, I don't hear the difference at all.

Dec 4, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #2,512 of 3,671
Someone can tell me if the sennheiser momentum 2.0 wireless sounds like wired version?

Not only the difference in ON mode, but also in the OFF mode.
I don't think that wireless version sounds like wired also in ON mode, but I cannot try both in my town.

I'd like to know the difference before buying them.

I cannot find this information in thread.

Thanks at all best regards

Dec 4, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #2,513 of 3,671
Someone can tell me if the sennheiser momentum 2.0 wireless sounds like wired version?

The wired and wireless versions are structurally identical, other than the wireless/NC circuitry. Any difference you hear is due to the presence of a few microchips in the ear chamber. Same headband, same drivers, same ear cups, same ear pads.

I've even heard that the drivers are the exact same as the M1 and the difference between the two are only the ear cups, but I don't know how reliable that is.

Dec 4, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #2,514 of 3,671
Ok, But I've red that the wireless version is ok, full and power sound, good soundstage... Only in ON mode, because in OFF mode the sound loose a lot of plenty sound, is more flat and warm.

I thought that wireless is good as wired only in ON mode, but when batteries died isn't good as wired one.

I'd like to know if the wired version (more cheap... Good for me) is identical in sound or if the wired version sounds like wireless version with no batteries and OFF mode
Thanks

Dec 4, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #2,515 of 3,671
Having owned both I didn't detect much of a difference. I did not A/B them.

Wired version:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserMomentumM2.pdf

Wireless version, passive, off:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserMomentumWirelessWiredPassive.pdf

If anything, the passive wireless is more even.

Dec 4, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #2,518 of 3,671
I don't think you'd go wrong either way. I'm not going to say the wireless version sounds worse than the wired one when run passive, but I WILL say that the wireless version run passive sure doesn't sound any better. It's just a matter of whether the wireless and noise cancelling features are worth the extra cost.

Dec 5, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #2,519 of 3,671
Ok, But I've red that the wireless version is ok, full and power sound, good soundstage... Only in ON mode, because in OFF mode the sound loose a lot of plenty sound, is more flat and warm.

I thought that wireless is good as wired only in ON mode, but when batteries died isn't good as wired one.

I'd like to know if the wired version (more cheap... Good for me) is identical in sound or if the wired version sounds like wireless version with no batteries and OFF mode
Thanks

I haven't tried the M2 wired but I did try the original Momentum and sound wise I would go M2 wireless USB > M2 wireless powered > M1 wired >>> M2 wireless passive. The only way to really confirm if it would be ok for you is to try it yourself but I felt that the wireless model passively was by far the worst sounding mode of all the Momentum models I tried. Other comments I read in the thread are along similar lines. Either they thought they both sounded the same or the wired model was much better than the wireless model passively.

Dec 5, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #2,520 of 3,671
Ok thank you...
At the end...
Wired M2 are near the same M2 wireless and M2 wired are better than wireless M2 (passive mode), but the M2 wireless (active or passive mode) that are better than M1 wired version.

I think the best option for me is the M2 wired because I listen then 90% into my room.

Have I done a good recap?
Do you choose wired or wireless version for my need? (Consider also that wireless version is too expansive)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back