Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Nov 12, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #2,416 of 3,671
A few days commuting and a bluetooth session in an airport and I haven't had an issue. The closest thing I had was my headphones lost connection (i.e. voice prompts "no device found" followed immediately by "connected") for an instant, and that's when I wasn't listening to anything. Likely my phone, not the headsets.

I call this bluetooth issue closed.

Nov 12, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #2,418 of 3,671
For any commuters out there and have the REV2,  have you guys encountered any thumping sound from the headphone caused by bumps on the road and such which was caused by the headphones ANC? 

Well, I think that it's the nature of the ANC. It's meant to filter out consistent noise, not necessarily voices and sudden sounds.

On the way home I had a little bit of stuttering, but for no more than 2 seconds. Just as I called it case closed, haha.

Nov 13, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #2,422 of 3,671
So I have these on my shortlist along with V-MODA Crossfade Wireless and Denon GC20.

My "on the move" listening is all via Apple devices - iPhone or iPad - using the AAC+ format.

Anyone with a similar usage have some opinions on sound quality direct out of Apple devices with the Sennheisers - both wired and wireless (Apple devices don't support aptX hence the query)? I don't want to find that the phones are great....but not with Apple devices.

Nov 13, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #2,423 of 3,671
So I have these on my shortlist along with V-MODA Crossfade Wireless and Denon GC20.

My "on the move" listening is all via Apple devices - iPhone or iPad - using the AAC+ format.

Anyone with a similar usage have some opinions on sound quality direct out of Apple devices with the Sennheisers - both wired and wireless (Apple devices don't support aptX hence the query)? I don't want to find that the phones are great....but not with Apple devices.

Any perceived benefits from using the aptx codec are lost to background noise when out and about from my experience. Even when at home doing casual listening i have a hard time discerning any difference between streaming from an ipad vs streaming from a galaxy s6. If i really focus and listen i can pick out subtle differences but i dont really find that enjoyable, i'd rather just relax and enjoy my music.

Nov 13, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #2,424 of 3,671
  For any commuters out there and have the REV2,  have you guys encountered any thumping sound from the headphone caused by bumps on the road and such which was caused by the headphones ANC? 

I had the REV2 and this was awful for me, the roads in the UK aren't the smoothest but a 15-20 minute bus journey home was more or less constant dull thumps whenever the bus shook/went over uneven surfaces.  Positioning the ear cups at certain angles helped but it was still pretty bad.  

I also had fairly frequent sound drops, very tiny drop outs once or twice every few minutes and a very loud pop next to a traffic light once.  I sent the headphones to Sennheiser last week and they returned them yesterday.  Haven't been on my usual route to/from work yet but will test the replaced pair for drop outs/thudding ANC noises later today.  

Nov 13, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #2,427 of 3,671

Any perceived benefits from using the aptx codec are lost to background noise when out and about from my experience. Even when at home doing casual listening i have a hard time discerning any difference between streaming from an ipad vs streaming from a galaxy s6. If i really focus and listen i can pick out subtle differences but i dont really find that enjoyable, i'd rather just relax and enjoy my music.

While I respect your opinion, I would disagree with this paragraph. There is a noticeable difference in sound quality IMO. Gear I use that shows a difference is: Note 4, and iPod (newest generation). The AptX enabled Note sound much fuller, better sound stage, and bass is more defined (more quantity, but better defined). iPod has less quantity bass, but is more boomy, and treble is a little less defined making the whole sound a bit more filtered sounding. Music is jut more lively overall using the Note 4 (to me). Some of this could be due to the DAPs themselves, so take this all with a grain of salt. I would say that all of my BT headphones sound better on the Note 4 (except the Backbeat Go, which don't have AptX anyhow).

I do have to say that they STILL sound pretty good with the iPod, just that the Note 4 sounds better. This is also true (mostly) with my wired headphones too.... All except my HD700s, which sound better in the iPod precisely because of the warmer sound. I have not listened to the newest gen iPhones (or any iDevice that has a newer DAC inside of it), so my whole answer might be rather moot to your question. 

Nov 14, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #2,428 of 3,671
    While I respect your opinion, I would disagree with this paragraph. There is a noticeable difference in sound quality IMO. Gear I use that shows a difference is: Note 4, and iPod (newest generation). The AptX enabled Note sound much fuller, better sound stage, and bass is more defined (more quantity, but better defined). iPod has less quantity bass, but is more boomy, and treble is a little less defined making the whole sound a bit more filtered sounding. Music is jut more lively overall using the Note 4 (to me). Some of this could be due to the DAPs themselves, so take this all with a grain of salt. I would say that all of my BT headphones sound better on the Note 4 (except the Backbeat Go, which don't have AptX anyhow).

I do have to say that they STILL sound pretty good with the iPod, just that the Note 4 sounds better. This is also true (mostly) with my wired headphones too.... All except my HD700s, which sound better in the iPod precisely because of the warmer sound. I have not listened to the newest gen iPhones (or any iDevice that has a newer DAC inside of it), so my whole answer might be rather moot to your question. 

A lot of what you say could be because of the Note 4 simply having better technology inside then the fact they use aptx too. I've noticed even with headphones that only have SBC that they often sound better on Note devices than iPhones. Aptx does seem make a difference to most people but it does vary depending on which version of SBC the heaphones support. Often it isn't really noticeable if the headphones are using high quality SBC or if they support AAC and you are using an Apple device.

Nov 14, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #2,429 of 3,671
I just bought myself a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 2.0s today, just the regular wired version (I'm not into Bluetooth) :)

My thoughts (coming from a Shure SRH-840, which I love to bits):

* Build quality is SUPERB!!! It's built like a tank and I can see it lasting for a long time.
* Comfort is also amazing, the leather smells and feels amazing on my ears and the ear cups fit nicely in there (I have pretty big ears).
* The soundstage is really nice and wide for a closed can, a little wider than my SRH-840s, just by a pinch
* The sound is very inviting and fun but still balanced.  These are headphones that scream TURN ME UP!!!
   * Bass: Very present and great fun, it seems to extend really low because I'm hearing things I've never heard in songs.  The bass response for me is just flawless.
   * Mids: Gorgeous Sennheiser mids (much like Shures).  Really nice and forward, vocals sit right in the front row, no distant recessed mids here my friends.
   * Highs: Really smooth but a little less sparkly than I normally like.  I find the treble a little on the dull side (I know some people like the word warm, but I use the word dull here, hehehe).  However, with just a pinch of EQ at 15 - 16 kHz giving a boost of around 3db really brings these headphones to life.  I'm using Boom on Mac, and just boost the 16kHz band 3db and am in heaven instantly.

When A/Bing with the Shures (and including this EQ adjustment on the Sennheisers), I find myself coming back to the Senns most of the time due to their fun and likely bass response and general involving sound.  I also LOVE the fact that the iOS remote controls music playback on my Mac too (didn't realise that would work, WOW).

I have truly tried a LOT of closed headphones including the Oppo PM-3s.  I think that these strike the right balance of build quality, price and sound quality for portable use.  I was one step away from buying the Oppos yesterday and I'm glad I didn't because these cost me $150 less and to me, sound much more enjoyable than the more analytical signature and narrow soundstage provided by the PM-3s.

I would love it if Sennheiser would give us some more sparkle in the next revision, but all in all, i am really happy with my purchase :)

Cheers
zambz

Nov 14, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #2,430 of 3,671
A lot of what you say could be because of the Note 4 simply having better technology inside then the fact they use aptx too. I've noticed even with headphones that only have SBC that they often sound better on Note devices than iPhones. Aptx does seem make a difference to most people but it does vary depending on which version of SBC the heaphones support. Often it isn't really noticeable if the headphones are using high quality SBC or if they support AAC and you are using an Apple device.

Do the Momentum Wireless support AAC? I can't find that info on the Sennheiser website, and it's one of the things that is making VMODA Crossfade Wireless the current favourite for my money as it does specifically support AAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back