Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Aug 11, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #2,116 of 3,671
I've spoken to Sennheiser UK today and they've been told to say that they're not expecting anything until at least October now. 

Which is strange as I also called up two weeks ago and was told then they were expecting the new versions the second week of August.

The fact that the date has shifted two months in just 2 weeks doesn't bode well that they'll even be available this year.

I was looking forward to getting a decent set of wireless, noise cancelling headphones but looks like I may have to compromise on the wireless side and get myself a set of Bose QC25's....shame.

Aug 11, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #2,117 of 3,671
I found a shop in the UK that still has these for sale and I gave them a try on Saturday. They did sound good,better than some of the other BT headphones I have managed to try. But, I am really undecided on these, they worked okay in the store, should I take a chance that they are going to be okay and not have the stutter problem. The price is the other factor, although I can afford these, can I justify it?
I will have to make a decision I the next couple of days.

Aug 12, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #2,118 of 3,671
So after calling Sennheiser UK yesterday and telling me that they were expecting them out in October, I received this email from Sennheiser this morning to an earlier email .....

Thank you for your enquiry. 

We are aware that there are cases in which the Bluetooth connection of the Momentum wireless is not working properly. We are taking these single cases very seriously and to our current state of knowledge, only a very small percentage of produced units are affected.

At Sennheiser we put great emphasis on ensuring flawless quality and perfect sound for every product. This is why we have decided to stop the further delivery of the Momentum wireless until we can make sure every single unit is up to our high quality standards. 
The latest information from Germany is that the M2 BT will be available again at the beginning of September.  

So according to Sennheiser it's looking like its either September or October.....however I'd put my money on it being nearer to December!!

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #2,121 of 3,671
  if its going to take that long .. should i go for the wired version then? I can get a discount on either one of them untill 31th of August. 

That really depends whether you want or need the wireless capability and the noise cancelling. If either of those are not that important it might be better to get the wired version. The wireless version will be a lot more versatile though.

I found a shop in the UK that still has these for sale and I gave them a try on Saturday. They did sound good,better than some of the other BT headphones I have managed to try. But, I am really undecided on these, they worked okay in the store, should I take a chance that they are going to be okay and not have the stutter problem. The price is the other factor, although I can afford these, can I justify it?
I will have to make a decision I the next couple of days.

It's probably worth the chance if you want headphones quickly as you can always get it exchanged for a new pair from the latest batch if it causes problems. Can probably return it too if it starts dropping out and stuttering.

Aug 12, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #2,122 of 3,671
By the time they start releasing the M2 BT, the M3 BT will be out...

Aug 12, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #2,123 of 3,671
I really wish they would release them soon. I think I am going to go buy a pair of the silver Sony MDR-1ABT to hold me over until these release. I have a few trips coming up and want something to take with me.

I already have a pair of HD598, so the wired version doesn't really interest me as the wireless version does. I hope they can get these out to the public soon. 

Have they ever mentioned what could possibly be causing the issue? I know they have skirted around even admitting its a product of all units, but I wonder for those "Select few" if they have ever mentioned they have found a possible reason or why it was happening?

Aug 12, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #2,124 of 3,671
  I really wish they would release them soon. I think I am going to go buy a pair of the silver Sony MDR-1ABT to hold me over until these release. I have a few trips coming up and want something to take with me.

I already have a pair of HD598, so the wired version doesn't really interest me as the wireless version does. I hope they can get these out to the public soon. 

Have they ever mentioned what could possibly be causing the issue? I know they have skirted around even admitting its a product of all units, but I wonder for those "Select few" if they have ever mentioned they have found a possible reason or why it was happening?

They are VERY tight lipped about the issue. I think they know the cause, but I don't think they know the cure, so they will not say anything until they at least know how to fix the issue. 

Take this whole paragraph as ONLY my opinion. If it is because of the low power usage that is causing the issue (weak signal for example), they know what the cause is, but don't know how to fix this, because if they do, then the battery life will suffer, and they know this is not acceptable to some who have bought the HP just for that reason. This is just one example of what I mean, but you get the point. I believe they are trying really hard to figure out how to fix the issue without causing some compromise in some other area of the headphone performance (it might not be possible at this point)..... In all honesty, if they manage to fix this issue without changing things too much, I will have more respect for their engineers than I already do.......

Aug 12, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #2,125 of 3,671

They are VERY tight lipped about the issue. I think they know the cause, but I don't think they know the cure, so they will not say anything until they at least know how to fix the issue. 

Take this whole paragraph as ONLY my opinion. If it is because of the low power usage that is causing the issue (weak signal for example), they know what the cause is, but don't know how to fix this, because if they do, then the battery life will suffer, and they know this is not acceptable to some who have bought the HP just for that reason. This is just one example of what I mean, but you get the point. I believe they are trying really hard to figure out how to fix the issue without causing some compromise in some other area of the headphone performance (it might not be possible at this point)..... In all honesty, if they manage to fix this issue without changing things too much, I will have more respect for their engineers than I already do.......

tbh if they had to sacrafice some of those 20+ hours battery life, I wouldnt mind :p imo 15 hours is already more then enough ...
Listening non stop for more then 1/2 of a day ... 

Aug 14, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #2,126 of 3,671

tbh if they had to sacrafice some of those 20+ hours battery life, I wouldnt mind :p imo 15 hours is already more then enough ...
Listening non stop for more then 1/2 of a day ... 

Yeah I totally agree..

Getting back to the wired vs. wireless discussion..
Has someone compared the wired version (v2) to the wireless version using the USB connection (DAC mode)?
Or even the wireless itself when connected via the 3.5mm jack vs the microusb?

Aug 14, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #2,127 of 3,671

I doubt it. Here are my findings on the issue : 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/777099/interesting-find-about-sennheiser-momentum-bluetooth-problem

Basically the device works great with different versions of Windows and IOS, but in the same room, without changing anything, craps out on OSX systems. I bet it is a driver issue. 

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #2,128 of 3,671
  I doubt it. Here are my findings on the issue : 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/777099/interesting-find-about-sennheiser-momentum-bluetooth-problem

Basically the device works great with different versions of Windows and IOS, but in the same room, without changing anything, craps out on OSX systems. I bet it is a driver issue. 

I was not actually speaking to the MAC issue. I believe this to be separate from the other issues (that ARE related to the headphones). Do a search through this thread to see what I mean. I have even written a post agreeing with your findings regarding the driver issue (because my iPod touch 5th gen has no problems, but I have not updated the OS since I bought it).

The issues I am talking about are regarding stuttering, and skipping (moreso in congested big cities), and those DO have to do with the headphones not the OS the headphones are trying to connect to.

Keep in mind also, I DID say this is all opinion, and was also a bit of a made up scenario to get my point across. The issue could in fact be in the implementation of AptX  (driver issue) and not a power issue.  ​

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #2,129 of 3,671
I've asked this before and I'll ask again - why did it affect Android too? There is more to the planet than iOS. I know some people don't believe it, but it's true - not every single person on the planet has exclusively iOS devices.

Sennheiser told me, over the phone, that "some were good, some... not so good", but that might be well-intentioned coverup. I mean, these things are so far ahead with battery life, even a significant reduction would still put it near the top of the battery life pile. I don't know how people listen to music nonstop all day. That's just me.

The "low power" thing is an interesting angle, but isn't it a standard? Like, Bluetooth 4.0 is Bluetooth 4.0 - there's no way to make it more or less efficient, is there?

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #2,130 of 3,671
  I've asked this before and I'll ask again - why did it affect Android too? There is more to the planet than iOS. I know some people don't believe it, but it's true - not every single person on the planet has exclusively iOS devices.

Sennheiser told me, over the phone, that "some were good, some... not so good", but that might be well-intentioned coverup. I mean, these things are so far ahead with battery life, even a significant reduction would still put it near the top of the battery life pile. I don't know how people listen to music nonstop all day. That's just me.

The "low power" thing is an interesting angle, but isn't it a standard? Like, Bluetooth 4.0 is Bluetooth 4.0 - there's no way to make it more or less efficient, is there?

Quite right. There are standards, and I don't know a hell of a lot about them (maybe I will start looking into them for kicks). but I would think that the bt 4.0 standard concerns the way it connects more than about how much power must be there to maintain this connection. I can't really explain with intelligence in depth, as I don't know enough about the engineering behind it. It just seems, logically, that the most common denominator here (comparing other BT headphones) is the VERY low state of power use. The batteries are not really that much different than others BT models, so I would say it is not EXTRA power here, but a large amount of power savings that might be it. On the AptX side, I suppose it COULD be the implementation of it on Sennheiser's side. It could also just be the electronics path inside the headphones (since everything has to go through the NC circuit first).

I was just kicking some ideas around for discussion (especially from those that have much more wisdom than me), for something to do (besides complain) while we wait.. heh

Edit: Just not sure I really feel like reading a whole white paper that is mostly in technical jargon (and thus having to do MORE research just to understand some of the context). This smacks too much of my college term papers (that I abhorred) minus having to keep track of sources... hehe

But, to answer your question (with a guess), I would say yes, there is a way to make the headphones themselves more power efficient, but maybe not the BT 4.0 implementation. Again, This is a guess, but based on logic (different factors of how they are designed compared to others). I could be TOTALLY wrong though! I may do some more research as said earlier, depending on if I get time (even though I am very interested to dig deeper).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back