Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Apr 26, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #1,681 of 3,671
   I have had the M2 wired and wireless. I made a mistake and returned the wired M2 because I was able to get the wireless for the same price. Logic told me they would be the same in wired mode so I thought why not have the option of BT as well. I was mistaken, there are sound differences between the wired and wireless(passive or active). I have returned the wireless ones and repurchased the wired version.

Sorry if you see this posted elsewhere it has come up on 3 different threads today so I copied and pasted my reply.

Can you explain that a bit more please?
Are you talking of a difference within the Wireless one, between its BT and its wired modes?
I am pretty sure that there will be a difference between wired passive and BT, and probably also between wired active and BT (in this case, I suppose, less than with wired passive).
But what we would like to know is how the momentum wired compare with the wired passive sound of the momentum wireless.
Being wired passive, it should sound just exactly as the momentum wired.

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #1,682 of 3,671

Can you explain that a bit more please?
Are you talking of a difference within the Wireless one, between its BT and its wired modes?
I am pretty sure that there will be a difference between wired passive and BT, and probably also between wired active and BT (in this case, I suppose, less than with wired passive).
But what we would like to know is how the momentum wired compare with the wired passive sound of the momentum wireless.
Being wired passive, it should sound just exactly as the momentum wired.

I will do my best to articulate the difference. First, I had both the wired and wireless at the same time. What I was referring to is listening to the WIRED M2 vs. the WIRELESS in passive mode. To my logic they should have sounded the same. The best I can explain it is, the bass on the WIRELESS in passive mode was looser, more similar to the original Momentum. I think the loose bass detracts from the creamy senn mids. The WIRED M2, while not bass light, are more balanced. The treble is spot on the WIRED M2 and does not roll off near as bad as it did in the original. With the improved treble and the deeper earcups the soundstage is greatly improved from the original.

The overall sound has been tuned for the M2 compared to the original Momentum. I did not like the original at all.

Apr 26, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #1,683 of 3,671
  The overall sound has been tuned for the M2 compared to the original Momentum. I did not like the original at all.

And the M2AEBT in wired passive mode only differ from the wired M2 in the lose bass? Or do they have more rolled of highs and something else?
And, how would you compare the sound of the wired M2 with the sound of the wireless in BT mode?

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #1,684 of 3,671
Correct me if i am wrong ,i just dont get it.A 500 usd wireless headphones that has known noise cancellation issue(going by a review) ,sub-per Bluetooth connection  (pretty apparent) and a sound that's less than stellar and underwhelming if you consider the price-tag.

Tyll from inner-fidelity actually has mentioned that mee electronics wifi matrix 2 which costs 89 usd  sounds better than me 2 wireless(check out his me 2 review).

Yet people are praising the heck out of it here ,is this some sort of brand loyalty or something?

On paper me2 wireless seems to be a garbage product,and a complete ripoff .

Again ,feel free to correct me, i am just trying to make sense out of the whole thing .

Apr 27, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #1,685 of 3,671
  Correct me if i am wrong ,i just dont get it.A 500 usd wireless headphones that has known noise cancellation issue(going by a review) ,sub-per Bluetooth connection  (pretty apparent) and a sound that's less than stellar and underwhelming if you consider the price-tag.

Tyll from inner-fidelity actually has mentioned that mee electronics wifi matrix 2 which costs 89 usd  sounds better than me 2 wireless(check out his me 2 review).

Yet people are praising the heck out of it here ,is this some sort of brand loyalty or something?

Again ,feel free to correct me, i am just trying to make sense out of the whole thing .

Tyll is not God.
I like him, but I disagree about the Matrix 2.
The Matrix 2 are a somehow thin sounding, rather cold sounding, pretty much boring sounding, quite cheap feeling headphone which is abolutely unable to produce any decent amount of bass without distorting (something which he discovered with his objective tests, if you read the review well, where it speaks of distortion in the lows, and that I discovered by boosting the bass with an EQ, something which the 95% of BT headphones in my tests did well, but not the Matrix 2. And chances are big that people will need to boost the bass, because out of the box it is very thin).
He probably likes them because they sound relatively balanced and more or less flat. And I am not saying that they sound "bad". I have even suggested them to people who were looking for that kind of signature.
But there are many ideologies in the world of headphonoes, and about how to rate them.
As you can see in the first post of my thread, I have a different ideology and I rate headphones considering not only how they sound out of the box but also how they can improve with EQ (=what are their real potential and hidden faults), and I rate higher something which overall, between out of the box and EQed, can please the widest amount of people (= can cover the widest range of sound signatures).
The Matrix 2 can NOT do that, EVER. Period.
I did not try yet the Momentum, I will do it next week, but I would be extremely surprised if I would discover that they managed to sound worse than the Matrix 2. I think that in this case Tyll is losing some of his objectivity and is objectifying his tastes, rating the two sound signatures (= something subjective) with objective terms.
And anyway I think you may have read the reviews for another headphone if you think that their sound is less than stellar. Lot of people (not only here) and also other reviewers like them a lot.
The price is relative to many things, but you will often see BT Headphones to be more expensive than wired headphones even sounding a bit less good. It is in part for the cost of r&d for BT, and in part because BT is a trend and they take advantage of it.

Apr 27, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #1,686 of 3,671
Quick update on 'Stuttergate' with Sennheiser headphones.

Having returned three pairs of M2 wireless and done some research of other BT models, I decided to give the Sennhesier Urbanite XL wireless a try again.  I had purchased these headphones previously, and found the BT stuttering issues to be the same as with the M2 wireless and the sound signature to be less impressive.

In short, I am amazed.  This current set Urbanite XL wireless show none of the BT issues I had previously with this line of headphones, or the M2 wireless.  That's correct - stutter-free, interference free performance when walking around with the phone in my pocket.  Error free when walking in the city, at home, in the park with my dog and on my daily commute by public transport.  Just as they should be.  And what of the sound quality?  Well, coming back to these headphones has been a revelation.  There is no ANC to annoy, just good passive noise reduction from the velour ear pads.  I really like the sound - it is not as refined or rich as the M2 wireless, but seems tighter and better integrated. Midrange is impressive, and the treble, while a little rolled off, is capable of conveying great detail.  Bass hits well, but does not overpower - think the marketing guff about awesome bass is just that. Yes, it's a bit more forward in the mix, but it does not dominate the frequency response nor suck out the midrange.  I can do no better to describe the sound than to quote directly from a UK retailer's review:

The bass is very well controlled and clear with plenty of punch; the micro-velour type earpads may soak up a little of the lower sub-bass region but overall the bass impact is very impressive.
Midrange gives a wonderful sense of space and both male and female vocal are well complimented, with reverb/echo easily cutting through. There's next to no clutter here and harmonics shine.
Treble is rolled off slightly; the Urbanite XL Wireless does not hold it back, but there are brighter-sounding headphones. As it is, there is enough treble to enhance details such as percussion, but without much chance of fatigue - it's a good comfortable sound.
Separation and soundstage are excellent; individual instruments can be picked out with the soundstage extending beyond the physical confines of the headphones themselves.
- See more at: http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/reviews/sennheiser-urbanite-xl-wireless-review/#sthash.6Ki2EV6v.dpuf

So, what has changed in the BT performance?  The physical headphones, of course, as this is a different physical pair of Urbanite XL wireless than I had in the past, but I've had three M2 wireless headphones which all have had bad stuttering.   I am still using the same main source - Sony Xperia Z3 Compact - but, crucially, in the last few days my network provider in the UK finally pushed out the Android Lollipop update to the phone. No idea whether that has made the difference and no way of testing this.  My Sony MDR-10RBT headphones performed fault free with my Kitkat and with the new Lollipop upgrade, so I doubt it.  Just thought I'd share my experience, though.

Am I tempted to go back to the M2 wireless to see if they have the same stutter-free performance now?  'No' is the simple answer.  Properly functioning BT would be one more mark in the plus side of those headphones, but I would still be unable to use the M2 wireless connected via BT on my daily commute, as the ANC interferes too much with the sound quality with bumps and clicks, as I have said.  I'm also pretty happy now, with the XL wireless, so that will end my search for BT headphones.  They do all I want them to and sound better than the 10RBTs - less bloated in the bass, and faster.  The fact that they have a microphone and remote control when connected wired is also a bonus, and I have already bought a Brainwaves headphone case from Amazon to keep them nice and safe when travelling, given that the supplied pouch is inadequate in my view for that purpose.  

So, this is probably my last post in the M2 wireless headphone thread.  Hope anyone suffering 'Stuttergate' finds a solution - my experiences with the XL wireless suggest that it is possible, although I'm unsure whether this is down to something in the headphones (better QC?), the source system software (better BT performance with BT4.0 devices?) or a combination of both.

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #1,687 of 3,671
   I have had the M2 wired and wireless. I made a mistake and returned the wired M2 because I was able to get the wireless for the same price. Logic told me they would be the same in wired mode so I thought why not have the option of BT as well. I was mistaken, there are sound differences between the wired and wireless(passive or active). I have returned the wireless ones and repurchased the wired version.

Sorry if you see this posted elsewhere it has come up on 3 different threads today so I copied and pasted my reply.

No need for being sorry, IMO, you are doing us a service in giving first hand info on the specific subject (wired vs wireless in same model).

If this is the case across the board, as is, in all wired/wireless models(hp models that have a wired and wireless version) I might pick up the Sony MDR 1A. Already heard good reports on the 1ABT, so if the wired version has an edge on the wireless version, plus a good $100 cheaper, I am for it..

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #1,688 of 3,671

That is a tough ticket trying to make sense of the whole thing!! 
biggrin.gif

The point is, we all have DIFFERENT ears..

You got a point on that $500 price tag!! 

For that $500 it should almost be flawless..

Well, only speaking for myself, my M2s are flawless. However, they have a lot of peeps out there that have went through several pairs of M2s, and were not satisfied..Again, that supports my theory of we all have "different ears"..

Now, I really doubt that those $89 can compete with the $500 M2s, however, I have a open mind, nothing is impossible. I am just saying that it is not likely.. But, you have made me consider getting those $89 Matrix 2 for the Wifee!! 
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Just found out the Matrix 2 are ON EAR.. Need Over Ear..

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #1,689 of 3,671

So, this is probably my last post in the M2 wireless headphone thread.  Hope anyone suffering 'Stuttergate' finds a solution - my experiences with the XL wireless suggest that it is possible, although I'm unsure whether this is down to something in the headphones (better QC?), the source system software (better BT performance with BT4.0 devices?) or a combination of both.

Thanks for that update. And please don't make this your last post in this thread!! The more input, the better!! 
beerchug.gif

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #1,690 of 3,671
  No need for being sorry, IMO, you are doing us a service in giving first hand info on the specific subject (wired vs wireless in same model).

If this is the case across the board, as is, in all wired/wireless models(hp models that have a wired and wireless version) I might pick up the Sony MDR 1A. Already heard good reports on the 1ABT, so if the wired version has an edge on the wireless version, plus a good $100 cheaper, I am for it..

There were definitely differences between the 1RBT series as well. Even when just listening wired without NC or BT active the wired one sounded the best to me followed by the 1RBT MKII wired then the 1RNC wired. 1RBT over bluetooth came in next with the 1RNC with NC active sounding clearly the worst. Thing is if you are just after the wired version for that price you will find other wired headphones that will sound better in terms of overall sound quality. You may like the sound signature of the 1RBT or 1ABT enough to get a pair but if you try other highly rated headphones in the same price bracket you may find that you like them a lot more. This doesn't come into play for the wireless version though as there aren't that many competitors and the wired ability is mainly there as an added bonus.

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #1,691 of 3,671
Sent mine back today for a refund.  Hopefully I can purchase them in the future, or maybe the next iteration when they work out the kinks.  I will be remain active in this forum as well for anyone who needs information. 

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #1,692 of 3,671
Just returned my new momentum 2.0 wireless headphones today
First off nice looking headphones.
Top quality all the way.

However even though ear cups are a tad bigger
My right ear which is average size was hurting after one hour.
I was not blown away by the sound signature either
I have had a similar experience with wired momentums
Over ear 1 year ago. I thought this might be different because of
The larger ear cups.

I guess Senheiser momentums just don't work for me.

Any recommendations for a great wireless pair of headphones?

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #1,693 of 3,671
Just returned my new momentum 2.0 wireless headphones today
First off nice looking headphones.
Top quality all the way.

However even though ear cups are a tad bigger
My right ear which is average size was hurting after one hour.
I was not blown away by the sound signature either
I have had a similar experience with wired momentums
Over ear 1 year ago. I thought this might be different because of
The larger ear cups.

I guess Senheiser momentums just don't work for me.

Any recommendations for a great wireless pair of headphones?

Parrot zik 2.0

Apr 29, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #1,694 of 3,671
Apr 29, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #1,695 of 3,671
  Class 2 BT is more than enough for aptX. My Sony NWZ-A15 uses Bluetooth 2.1 and aptX and has no problems with flacs , wavs or other stuff. AptX uses only max.  384kbit/s, Bluetooth 2.1 offers up tp 3Mbit with Enhanced Data Rate.

Is the M2 any good with the NWZ-A15?

I tried the M1 over-ear and on-ear in a store today and plugged it into my Sony and it sounded okay, just about enough volume. But I was wondering if going wireless would affect the volume and maybe be a bit too low?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back